Vital Signs

barney_rebel

Discuss.

I think it's the most under-rated track on MP. You have such big hits like Tom Sawyer, YYZ, Red Barchetta (my favourite song on the album btw).

This is one of the only songs that I can think of that has a grammatical error: "Everybody got"... I think the bass is amazing, and what a groove to the overall song. The keyboards (especailly when the song starts) makes it almost sound like a life-support system. I am so glad they brought this one back for the VT tour.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I recall the band saying this song is sort of a "reggae" song for them, so I wonder if the grammar is intentional. Think about it, "everybody got" kinda has a reggae feel to it. I may be wrong, but I always thought it was intentional confused13.gif

I like the timing of the guitar in this song. It took me a while to get it down perfectly as far as hitting the chords at the correct time.

The video is sweet too. I have the Mpeg to this song. I tried emailing it to someone but it's too big to send. I'm going to make a website with all my rush videos soon, where you can click on the link and it will live stream.

This is probably my favourite Rush song of all. It's got everything, the build up of the chorus, a phenomenal beat and good lyrics. The majestic sweep at the end makes it a perfect album closer.

I agree with the theory that Moving Pictures as an album flows better than most others, and the fade out at the end of vital signs is the perfect ending after the dramatic beginnings of Tom Sawyer at the start of Side 1 (sorry, I still think in terms of vinyl when discussing the early albums).

It's also the perfect bridge between MP and Signals, a precursor to the more synth heavy sound.

Love the lyrics as well, particularly the line "Feverish flux of human interface and interchange". It's the complete package. yes.gif

What can I say?

Its off Moving Pictures.

I think the whole of MP is fantastic and Vital signs is no exception. I won't say its one of the strongest on the album because all the songs are so strong. The whole thing is a masterpiece and I love it all.

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Nov 17 2004, 02:36 PM)
This is probably my favourite Rush song of all. It's got everything, the build up of the chorus, a phenomenal beat and good lyrics. The majestic sweep at the end makes it a perfect album closer.

I agree with the theory that Moving Pictures as an album flows better than most others, and the fade out at the end of vital signs is the perfect ending after the dramatic beginnings of Tom Sawyer at the start of Side 1 (sorry, I still think in terms of vinyl when discussing the early albums).

It's also the perfect bridge between MP and Signals, a precursor to the more synth heavy sound.

Love the lyrics as well, particularly the line "Feverish flux of human interface and interchange". It's the complete package. yes.gif

I like the wording you use when you describe something, no wonder you are a radio man. trink39.gif

I absolutely love the bass lines on this song. The opening chords and the verse section especially have very strong riffs on it and are just so much fun to play. Then end bit is especially moving to me, the way he belts out everybody got to deviate/elevate/alleviate/emancipate from the norm. Its mystique is only further enhanced by the fact that most of the rest of the album overshadows this song in terms of popularity and radio play. It makes this song a little hidden gem on the album that only those who truely know the music can appreciate. It was a definate highlight to see it played on the VT tour. yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Nov 17 2004, 03:28 PM)
I absolutely love the bass lines on this song. The opening chords and the verse section especially have very strong riffs on it and are just so much fun to play. Then end bit is especially moving to me, the way he belts out everybody got to deviate/elevate/alleviate/emancipate from the norm. Its mystique is only further enhanced by the fact that most of the rest of the album overshadows this song in terms of popularity and radio play. It makes this song a little hidden gem on the album that only those who truely know the music can appreciate. It was a definate highlight to see it played on the VT tour. yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I freaked out when I first saw this video on MTV. I couldn't believe they made a video of this tune. Awesome though. yes.gif

QUOTE (Indica @ Nov 17 2004, 03:30 PM)
I absolutely love the bass lines on this song.  The opening chords and the verse section especially have very strong riffs on it and are just so much fun to play.  Then end bit is especially moving to me, the way he belts out everybody got to deviate/elevate/alleviate/emancipate from the norm.  Its mystique is only further enhanced by the fact that most of the rest of the album overshadows this song in terms of popularity and radio play.  It makes this song a little hidden gem on the album that only those who truely know the music can appreciate.  It was a definate highlight to see it played on the VT tour. yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I freaked out when I first saw this video on MTV. I couldn't believe they made a video of this tune. Awesome though. yes.gif

VIdeo for Vital Signs? Never seen that one! Anyone have it?

I need a sound guy here to properly express my favorite part about this song. It's the sound.

I love how the beginning of this song is purposely light on the guitar, the poppy snare without punch, the clear reverb vocal, and lack of bass until the first chorus (except of course for the 4 second intro). Then through the 2nd verse the song explodes. The guitar opens up, and the drums punch. Everything gets crispy.

I heard them play this live during the RTB tour, then again on the RIR disc. They dropped it from the setlist by the time I saw the VT show live. I'm not nearly as impressed with the live version as I am with the studio version. Like in earlier quotes, this is like the hidden gem at the back of the album that only us special people get to hear. There's a feel to it due to the production that just makes it so awesome. It's just not there when played live.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 17 2004, 03:50 PM)
I love how the beginning of this song is purposely light on the guitar, the poppy snare without punch, the clear reverb vocal, and lack of bass until the first chorus (except of course for the 4 second intro).  Then through the 2nd verse the song explodes.  The guitar opens up, and the drums punch.  Everything gets crispy.

I remember reading somewhere (in the early 80's) that Rush was acknowledging the trend in rock music at the time of Moving Pictures with "Vital Signs". The song's production is very reminiscent of The Police, particularly in that poppy snare you reference.

Neil mentioned that trend in their music in a section of Traveling Music.

The video rules! I own the Fender Jazz Geddy Lee edition bass that GL uses in that video (no, I don't own *that* one, but one just like it).

QUOTE (chaostrophy @ Nov 17 2004, 04:59 PM)
I love how the beginning of this song is purposely light on the guitar, the poppy snare without punch, the clear reverb vocal, and lack of bass until the first chorus (except of course for the 4 second intro).  Then through the 2nd verse the song explodes.  The guitar opens up, and the drums punch.  Everything gets crispy.

I remember reading somewhere (in the early 80's) that Rush was acknowledging the trend in rock music at the time of Moving Pictures with "Vital Signs". The song's production is very reminiscent of The Police, particularly in that poppy snare you reference.

The video rules! I own the Fender Jazz Geddy Lee edition bass that GL uses in that video (no, I don't own *that* one, but one just like it).

help me out guys. I remember the video, I think. It was shot in the studio, Neil was wearing a Montreal Expos cap and Alex is playing his white and black strat, right?

I recently read "Success Under Pressure" by Martin Popoff, it was an excellent read and i think i recall Geddy saying it was a last minute song or something like that. It's an excellent song though and i am pleased to say that i have seen it played live on the Vapor Trail tour.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Nov 17 2004, 05:30 PM)
QUOTE (Snowdog @ Nov 17 2004, 02:02 PM)
QUOTE (chaostrophy @ Nov 17 2004, 04:59 PM)

help me out guys. I remember the video, I think. It was shot in the studio, Neil was wearing a Montreal Expos cap and Alex is playing his white and black strat, right?

Thats correct Snow. If you look closely too, Neil has a microphone taped to his chest. This was done to try to record the way the drums sound from the drummers perspective, as he is the only one that hears it from behind the kit.

thanks moon. now I know I didn't dream it biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Indica @ Nov 17 2004, 02:10 PM)
I like the timing of the guitar in this song. It took me a while to get it down perfectly as far as hitting the chords at the correct time.

The video is sweet too. I have the Mpeg to this song. I tried emailing it to someone but it's too big to send. I'm going to make a website with all my rush videos soon, where you can click on the link and it will live stream.

I also got this mpeg...It used to be on Muchmusic (Canada's mtv) alot back in the day...I wondered why it was not included with the Chronicles set? Neil wearing the Montreal Expos cap was cool...

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Nov 17 2004, 03:39 PM)
I absolutely love the bass lines on this song.  The opening chords and the verse section especially have very strong riffs on it and are just so much fun to play.  Then end bit is especially moving to me, the way he belts out everybody got to deviate/elevate/alleviate/emancipate from the norm.  Its mystique is only further enhanced by the fact that most of the rest of the album overshadows this song in terms of popularity and radio play.  It makes this song a little hidden gem on the album that only those who truely know the music can appreciate.  It was a definate highlight to see it played on the VT tour. yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I have the mpeg, it's like 60 meg, does anyone know how I can fit it into an email? My email only lets you send 10 meg. I tried zipping it but it don't shrink it enough. It's my favorite video ever, that song and countdown.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Nov 17 2004, 06:15 PM)
QUOTE (Indica @ Nov 17 2004, 06:13 PM)
QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Nov 17 2004, 03:39 PM)

I have the mpeg, it's like 60 meg, does anyone know how I can fit it into an email? My email only lets you send 10 meg. I tried zipping it but it don't shrink it enough. It's my favorite video ever, that song and countdown.

The only 2 vids i have yet to see are Countdown and body electric....

I have both of them. Countdown is awesome, the body electric isn't bad. I could probably let you download them off of Winmx if you have it. If we can get on the same server.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Nov 17 2004, 11:15 PM)
The only 2 vids i have yet to see are Countdown and body electric....

Countdown is a good video. The best I can say for Body Electric is it's an interesting concept that didn't quite work. IMO, it's best quality is the unintentional humour.

BTW, I have a live version of Vital Signs on the back of a New World Man 12 inch single. Anyone know where and when it was recorded?. I think I read somewhere it was from the same set Exit Stage Left was recorded from on the Moving Pictures tour, but it might just have been a bad dream......

Archived