Bravado

barney_rebel

Discuss.

Ok as I was collecting my printjobs from the office printer, I started to hum this tune. So this will be the song to discuss.

Aside from Dreamline, it's probably my favourite tune off RTB. Dunno what it is.. but it really did grow on me over the years. When they brought it back for VT tour it really set the tone for me to put RTB back on my player.

The simple baseline at the beginning and then the complex drumming at the end... so cool. Plus it's such a dark song, yet the melody is an uplifting one. Very well put together.

I think it goes hand in hand with Hersey. Words like "Though paradise is lost, we will pay the price, but we will not count the cost"... is sort of like "Who will pay?" in Heresy. As a matter of fact when I first listened to the album, I'd get the two mixed up (especially since both titles aren't mentioned in the lyrics).

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One of the most melodic and beautiful songs they have ever written. It moves me every time I hear it live. It seems to be more "personal" in nature than many of their songs and the match of music and lyrics is perfect.

I know a lot of people like this song, and Rush must like it too because they have been playing it live for a while. I do like the lyrics but it's not one of my favorite rush songs. I remember on roll the bones tour, the background screen for this song was so damn cool. I think it had a bunch of dice on the background or something like that. The lead has a lot of feeling in it, you can almost feel what Alex is thinking when he's playing it.

For some reason it reminds me of "the pass", I'm not sure why that is. The pass is an emotional song too. Bigtime.

I love this song it is my Favorite song by Rush. I know that seems weird but it is. I love the one line in the song When "The music stops all you hear is the sound of the Rain" its a great line. All in all its a great song.

smile.gif

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Nov 16 2004, 03:19 PM)
One of the most melodic and beautiful songs they have ever written. It moves me every time I hear it live. It seems to be more "personal" in nature than many of their songs and the match of music and lyrics is perfect.

I second that....everytime I listen to it and when I play the drums for it, it moves me...like The Pass... I really really enjoy playing this song for the drums...gotta be the favorite for playing. NeilFinal.gif

This one's pretty special for me. I remember about 5 years ago I was going for this huge deal that i had worked tirelessly for. I didn't think I would get as far as I did...and in the end I did not make it. I came home and turned this song on and the first verse hit me like a ton of bricks.

"If we burn our wings

Flying too close to the sun

If the moment of glory

Is over before it's begun"

EDIT: Now I have to listen to it. my favorite version is on "Reflected Light" the boot from Mansfield, MA on the VT tour.

Barney I don't know what it is, man.... Marathon, Animate, now Bravado. You seem to keep touching on my favorite Rush songs. I can't even begin to tell you how into this song I am. It instantly grabbed me, and has never let go. It has to be amongst the all time best they've ever written. Few songs have the power and emotion of that song. For me... the world stops for 4:35 when Bravado plays. I can't help it.

The song has been a part of their setlist for every tour except T4E (I think). The extended ending when they play it live remains a highlight of the concert for me. I feel like I'm flying. I remember during the RTB show the lighting they used for this song. When the music first began, there were hundreds of sharply focused, yet dimly lit lights that blanketed the crowd (sort of like disco ball lights), and slowly worked their way from the first row to the back of the arena. The lights reached the back and faded just in time for Geddy to start singing. Then, at the beginning of their extended instrumental ending... the lights reappeared and made their way back over the crowd toward the stage. I'll never forget it.

Bravado is a lyrical and musical masterpiece. I get chills everytime I hear it. And it's what... 13 years old? And Barney - nice comparison to Heresy. I've always felt the same way (although I never got them confused). tongue.gif Heresy and Bravado are my two favorite RTB songs. Dreamline and Roll The Bones are powerhouse ass kicking Rush classics... but these two have a place of their own. They can't be touched.

The Bravado/Heresy comparison is one which has always struck me too, similarly themed both lyrically and tempo wise.

For some reason though, (and I'm starting to feel a bit guilty about this after reading the earlier posts), it's far from being my favourite Rush song. It never grabbed me the way others do.

To be honest, I prefer Neurotica to this.....ouch.......stop....throwing.....aagh, that hurt.......Barney, put down that bri........

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Nov 16 2004, 09:48 PM)
The Bravado/Heresy comparison is one which has always struck me too, similarly themed both lyrically and tempo wise.

For some reason though, (and I'm starting to feel a bit guilty about this after reading the earlier posts), it's far from being my favourite Rush song. It never grabbed me the way others do.

To be honest, I prefer Neurotica to this.....ouch.......stop....throwing.....aagh, that hurt.......Barney, put down that bri........

'Like or dislike....' is the title! The main goal is to discuss the song... I'm glad someone said something negative about it.

QUOTE (Chasartymac @ Nov 17 2004, 02:12 PM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Nov 17 2004, 03:15 AM)

... I'm glad someone said something negative about it.

Bravado sucks!!

joker.gif laugh.gif pokey.gif

laugh.gif

Archived