Bravado

barney_rebel

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bravado on the RTB CD is a good song, but Bravado on the RIR DVD is the best song/ending on the whole DVD. Sometimes you can "overdo" a song ending, due to lack of skill, or otherwise. Rush seems to touch all in the ending of their songs.

I like how Alex keeps the note ringing at the end and they all try to get it right. The musicianship is what impresses me. I was reading Neil's latest book, Travelling Music, and he mentions that in a band, there is the musicians, and the drummer. Neil is a true musician, as well and Alex and Geddy. Neil brings the fabulous lyrics, since he doesn't sing. This is what I admire most about the band is the quality and their individual talents. 2.gif

Your comments about Neil reminds me of a comment my mum made years ago. She came into the room while I was listening to La Villa Strangiato and, instead of the usual snide comment I expected, she listened for a moment and said "I've never heard the drums played like that before, its like a totally different instrument." I think that was her way of saying she was impressed. NeilFinal.gif

QUOTE (D-13 @ Nov 16 2004, 05:18 PM)
QUOTE (Snowdog @ Nov 16 2004, 03:19 PM)
One of the most melodic and beautiful songs they have ever written. It moves me every  time I hear it live. It seems to be more "personal" in nature than many of their songs and the match of music and lyrics is perfect.

I second that....everytime I listen to it and when I play the drums for it, it moves me...like The Pass... I really really enjoy playing this song for the drums...gotta be the favorite for playing. NeilFinal.gif

+1

I really get lost in that song. So much so that the other night the vibrations from my kit vibrated the plug for my router out of the socket .

I had a neighbor ask me what i was playing a while back and after he described what he heard i figured it was Bravado. He went out and bought the whole cd along with Presto 1022.gif

QUOTE (Pags @ Nov 16 2004, 09:02 PM)
Barney I don't know what it is, man.... Marathon, Animate, now Bravado. You seem to keep touching on my favorite Rush songs. I can't even begin to tell you how into this song I am. It instantly grabbed me, and has never let go. It has to be amongst the all time best they've ever written. Few songs have the power and emotion of that song. For me... the world stops for 4:35 when Bravado plays. I can't help it.

The song has been a part of their setlist for every tour except T4E (I think). The extended ending when they play it live remains a highlight of the concert for me. I feel like I'm flying. I remember during the RTB show the lighting they used for this song. When the music first began, there were hundreds of sharply focused, yet dimly lit lights that blanketed the crowd (sort of like disco ball lights), and slowly worked their way from the first row to the back of the arena. The lights reached the back and faded just in time for Geddy to start singing. Then, at the beginning of their extended instrumental ending... the lights reappeared and made their way back over the crowd toward the stage. I'll never forget it.

Bravado is a lyrical and musical masterpiece. I get chills everytime I hear it. And it's what... 13 years old? And Barney - nice comparison to Heresy. I've always felt the same way (although I never got them confused). tongue.gif Heresy and Bravado are my two favorite RTB songs. Dreamline and Roll The Bones are powerhouse ass kicking Rush classics... but these two have a place of their own. They can't be touched.

Well... 5 years later and my opinion hasn't really changed.

Nice thread bump. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Pags @ Jan 13 2010, 09:14 AM)
QUOTE (Pags @ Nov 16 2004, 09:02 PM)
I can't even begin to tell you how into this song I am.  It instantly grabbed me, and has never let go.  It has to be amongst the all time best they've ever written.  Few songs have the power and emotion of that song.  For me... the world stops for 4:35 when Bravado plays.  I can't help it.

Well... 5 years later and my opinion hasn't really changed.

Nice thread bump. trink39.gif

I couldn't have said it better than you did 5 years ago. This is one of their greatest songs in my opinion.

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jan 13 2010, 01:45 AM)
Resurrecting the dead, Lerxt? laugh.gif

Anyway, Bravado is a lump of steaming dog shite...... wink.gif

yes.gif Just like the rest of the album.....................

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 13 2010, 11:20 AM)

Which makes one wonder why Bravado deserves two threads in the same forum.

I like Bravado ok, but not that much.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jan 13 2010, 11:53 AM)

Bingo............

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jan 13 2010, 12:53 PM)

Bravado deserves it's own forum if you ask me. It's that good of a song.

This was a very interesting read...

I heard a lot of people say "Moves me" and comments like that.

I can confirm that this song is something totally different for me much like most of you have stated. It's one the VERY few Rush songs I can't turn off in the middle. Once it starts, I have to listen to all of it. It grabs me and makes me sit for 4+ minutes for some reason. Eh, go figure!

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Nov 16 2004, 05:19 PM)
One of the most melodic and beautiful songs they have ever written. It moves me every time I hear it live. It seems to be more "personal" in nature than many of their songs and the match of music and lyrics is perfect.

I think this says it simply and perfectly. Really no flaws. Marvelously constructed and executed. This and The Pass are my favorite of their "ballads," easily...and both arguably top 10 Rush songs for me.

QUOTE (JDL2112 @ Jan 13 2010, 11:35 PM)
This was a very interesting read...

I heard a lot of people say "Moves me" and comments like that.

I can confirm that this song is something totally different for me much like most of you have stated. It's one the VERY few Rush songs I can't turn off in the middle. Once it starts, I have to listen to all of it. It grabs me and makes me sit for 4+ minutes for some reason. Eh, go figure!

Yes it is moving. I'd sort of forgotten that when we were having "moving lyrics" and "songs that made you cry" threads but I listened to it tonight walking home in the snow and remembered how much I love this song.

I suppose we can identify with the sentiment - not an actual battle, but as a metaphor.

I'm listening to it now and though its not my fave tune off the album, it is a great song. The lyrics always get me.

That said, when they play it live, especially when they couple it with The Pass, it kind of sucks the energy out of the venue. Great song and it sounds great live, but maybe they could find a different place for it. I think they intend for it to give the audience a rest from their more kinetic opening stuff, but it drains too much off the crowd.

QUOTE (VarianStar @ Jan 13 2010, 01:24 PM)
QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jan 13 2010, 12:53 PM)

Bravado deserves it's own forum if you ask me. It's that good of a song.

One thing is for certain- one thread is not enough for this most excellent song. trink39.gif

Archived