The Missing Verse on the MFSL Gold SIGNALS CD!!!!!

RUSHHEAD666

This has always intrigued me.

As an audiophile nut, I collect the 24 KT gold cds as well.

One day I bought the MFSL (Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab) gold cd of "Signals" and I put the disc in my cd player.

Well about half way through the song "The Weapon" I realized that a verse of lyric was missing!!

Sure, the missing piece was in the first part of the song, but on the second time around the verse:

"And the things that he fears are a weapon to be held against him." was gone!

It's a trip to listen too! You are waiting for Geddy's voice to kick in and it's just a bunch of keyboard patterns!

Please tell me I am not alone and some of you out there know what I am talking about!

I was tripping back then. I even called Mobile Fielity Sound Lab to find out why that verses was cut out?

They had no clue. They said that the "ORIGINAL MASTER" must have been missing that vocal part and that Terry Brown thought that Geddy should repeat that lyric. So the tapes are different from the one that got pressed for the masses!!

I have no idea!

Crazy though!!

Anyone else want to discuss this or am I just............ beathorse.gif

By the way "Losing It" is one of the greatest songs ever made!! I would have a small stroke if they were to pull the cobwebs off of this song and play it live on the next tour!!

I am sure they won't pull Ben out on the road to play the violin part so I don't care if they sample it and play it over their system to the big video screen in the back!!

"LOSING IT" live would make my year!!

Damn! We are still stranded in 2006! I am already thinking about next year!!

2.gif ON!

Earl

I believe there are three Gold Rush CD's floating around. 2112 and Moving Pictures are the most rare of the three and will cost you a pretty penny. Signals however is fairly easy to find if you just do the leg work. I found Signals at a used CD store here for like 15 bucks a couple years ago.

RUSHHEAD, you hit it right on the nail about "Losing It". Absolutely my favorite Rush tune from my favorite record. A minor stroke wouldn't do it for me if they pulled this one out, they'd have to call the hearse...

• Like 1

Shame on you PuppetKing! dazed025.gif

Hey Strangiatoman!! Funny stuff, but I agree if they did play "Losing It" live a lot of Rush fans might start dropping dead from joy!!

The gold cd virus has been in me for 20 years. I am lucky to say I have the MSFL catalog, the CBS gold catalog, MCA gold cds, RCA gold, Atlantic gold, and the DCC gold catalog. Obviously you can tell it was a very trendy thing for the Record Companies to do. As for me? A sucker is born every day!! "HOOK, LINE, and THINKER!"

It would be very costly and time consuming to start collecting gold cds but they are out there. eBay of course but the prices are going to be very high!!

Used record stores are still the way to go. Rapsutin Records in the East Bay charges around 30 bones a pop for a gold cd!

Sometimes 20 clams!

It is worth it although it is true, the aluminum remasterd cds do have more pop and better highs!!

It sucks being an audiophile nut!

That is why I also have been buying Japanese cds instead of American pressed stuff.

Say what you will, but I have tested the sound difference and it is slightly better. Alos the Japanese stuff has bonus tracks, better art work quality, the cardboard mini lp sleeves and extra goodies inside like stickers and mini tour books! RUSH is a perfect example of that!!

I tested an unremastered USA Signals against an unremastered Japanese pressing and the Japanese version sounded better. Better bass. Warmer tones.

The Signals gold cd sounds better than an unremastered Japan pressing.

But an American remaster does sound better than the gold.

I have compared my Japanese remaster to an American remaster and the Japanese pressing is still slightly better.

So there you have it!!

The rare Japanese remaster of SIGNALS is the best sounding disc on the planet!!!

GO GET THE GOLD RUSH FANS!!!

MOVING PICTURES

SIGNALS

2.gif ON!

QUOTE (deslock @ Sep 10 2006, 07:49 AM)
This has been well documented in FAQs, USENET, wikipedia, etc. I bought this CD when it first came out (in 1994) hoping it would improve Signals' somewhat muddy mix. It does, though not as much as the remasters version that came out in 1997. I prefer the Weapon with the missing verse.

I have to agree!

I have been listening to the gold SIGNALS cd a lot more lately and it is better!

If you really think about it, it is the "ORIGINAL MASTER RECORDING," hence it was done once the right way. Terry and the boys wanted it that way right?

Who knows who said that they should repeat that lyric over is that spot?

I think it is great without it!!

Anyone who wants to get one, they are on eBay at the moment. Some are really pricey, yet a few are affordable!

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice!!"

I'm glad that of the three Rush gold cd's, this is the one I own, and I only bought it because it's my favorite Rush album. I must admit though, that when comparing the original cd of signals next to the MFSL version of Signals, outside of "the missing verse" I noticed absolutely no difference in sound quality AT ALL. The remastered version is better than both originals, though the only way to get the missing verse version is to track down a used copy of the MFSL disc. I think I got mine for $10 or $15 used, but this was many years ago...

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 19 2006, 01:40 PM)
I agree!

The remaster does sound better than the gold disc!

Hey least you have the missing verse variant!!

I like the song better without the verse!

You?

Most of the time I barely notice the difference. It's nice to have the variation, but I think they're pretty equal. It's such a small deviation from the original...

I bought all three gold Rush remasters and compared with the band authorized remasters that came later, they don't sound any better than the original cd's IMO. And I also noticed the missing verse in The Weapon.

Here you go "The Weapon" Song Lovers!!

I thought about the current thread today while playing along to the "Signals" album today. I thought about the missing verse on the MFSL Gold CD Version!

Crazy!

• Like 1

Here you go "The Weapon" Song Lovers!!

I thought about the current thread today while playing along to the "Signals" album today. I thought about the missing verse on the MFSL Gold CD Version!

Crazy!

Probably my favorite version of Signals. They did a really nice job on that one.

• Like 1

I believe there are three Gold Rush CD's floating around. 2112 and Moving Pictures are the most rare of the three and will cost you a pretty penny. Signals however is fairly easy to find if you just do the leg work. I found Signals at a used CD store here for like 15 bucks a couple years ago.

RUSHHEAD, you hit it right on the nail about "Losing It". Absolutely my favorite Rush tune from my favorite record. A minor stroke wouldn't do it for me if they pulled this one out, they'd have to call the hearse...

Roll the bones, Presto are also available from Audio fidelity 24 kt. Gold, and they sound fantastic.

Roll the bones, Presto are also available from Audio fidelity 24 kt. Gold, and they sound fantastic.

Fantastic is a BIG word to describe the sound quality for those two. Let's just say they sound better than either the original releases or the 2004 remasters. They still suffer from the tinny production with too much high end and not enough low end, especially on Superconductor, Red Tide, Face Up, and You Bet Your Life. For those songs I personally find the 24 Bit flac downloads that were free with the 2015 vinyl reissues are a little better. The one that really shines in terms of the Audio Fidelity 24kt. releases is Counterparts. That one is easily the best version of the album available and a significant improvement on the 1993 release and the 2004 remaster. I discuss these 3 releases in my Best Mastering post here: http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/102929-rush-best-mastering-guide/

• Like 1

Fantastic is a BIG word to describe the sound quality for those two. Let's just say they sound better than either the original releases or the 2004 remasters. They still suffer from the tinny production with too much high end and not enough low end, especially on Superconductor, Red Tide, Face Up, and You Bet Your Life. For those songs I personally find the 24 Bit flac downloads that were free with the 2015 vinyl reissues are a little better. The one that really shines in terms of the Audio Fidelity 24kt. releases is Counterparts. That one is easily the best version of the album available and a significant improvement on the 1993 release and the 2004 remaster. I discuss these 3 releases in my Best Mastering post here: http://www.therushfo...astering-guide/

I will stick to Fantastic, but thanks anyway :eh:
  • Like 1

Yup. Don't forget they did "Counterparts" and "Hemispheres" too.

Fantastic is a BIG word to describe the sound quality for those two. Let's just say they sound better than either the original releases or the 2004 remasters. They still suffer from the tinny production with too much high end and not enough low end, especially on Superconductor, Red Tide, Face Up, and You Bet Your Life. For those songs I personally find the 24 Bit flac downloads that were free with the 2015 vinyl reissues are a little better. The one that really shines in terms of the Audio Fidelity 24kt. releases is Counterparts. That one is easily the best version of the album available and a significant improvement on the 1993 release and the 2004 remaster. I discuss these 3 releases in my Best Mastering post here: http://www.therushfo...astering-guide/

For me, they (Presto and Roll The Bones) are probably the best of a bad batch though that's not saying a heck of a lot.

• Like 1

Hahaha! Thanks for the laugh my friend! "Losing It' is a masterpiece. Seeing them play it live in LA at their last show together ever was beyond EPIC. I was in the third row but I didn't give a shit. I snuck into the front row. Alex side.

That was my only goal of the R40 show. To see "Losing It" live. Mission complete.

The song was the perfect track to play on R40. The song represents them. Perhaps not as a collective but a homage to Neil for sure. Alex was suffering too from some pain but nothing like Neil. Geddy seems like the immortal bassist. Just hire a new singer.

Cheers!

• Like 1

If you think the missing lines on the MFSL disc are interesting, you should check out the Sector 3 5.1 mix Signals album. No missing lines, but they used different vocal takes - there are little inflections and differences all over that; it sorta messes with your head (if you hear them; it's subtle; gotta shut down your inner recording/expectation and listen for differences.)
  • Like 1

I promised not to bring this up but i read there is 2/3 different takes of a few signals tracks thanks to the archives of the LeStudio sessions in 82. Damn those tapes... maybe in between nightly volleyball tounaments or motorized boat races on Lac Perry- or was it the wine.. Damn the wine .. Edited by YYZ Working Man

My copy of Presto on the 24k Gold CD had a line missing in the song ¨War Paint¨. Great song by the way, but the line before the guitar solo kicks in ¨Paint it Black¨ was not there. Very weird to listen to because you mostly just hear the Wal Bass, which are great by the way. I wish Ged would have at least pulled out one of his Wals for something of the late 90s to 00s era.

I later bought another copy of the SACD, and that problem was gone! I was in shock! Not sure what the deal was there but it was definitely interesting.

I am fine with the 2011 versions. They sound great in my opinion. I bought the SACD version of Presto when it got released, just to see how it would sound like. But to my ears it was not much of a improvement next to the 2011 version. I have only played it once tho.. maybe I should give it another try?