DIAL-UP USERS.... UNITE!!!!

xredsectorx

Dial-up is soooooo twentieth century.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 1 2006, 12:01 PM)
Dial-up is soooooo twentieth century.

laugh.gif I've had DSL for 5 years now and when I got it, I was amazed by how fast it was. Now, most of my friends and family have cable and I feel like I'm in the stone age after surfing around on their computers.

damn it!!! well i guess i'll just have to make due with it, there is no way that my parents will get high speed.

but as long as my net is fast enough for TRF and MSN to work, i'm good to go!

QUOTE (guitarman_2112 @ Sep 2 2006, 10:45 AM)
damn it!!! well i guess i'll just have to make due with it, there is no way that my parents will get high speed.

Verizon high speed is cheaper than AOL. Why wouldn't they get that?

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Sep 2 2006, 10:49 AM)

well considering that i'm like the only one who uses the net in our house, they see no need to have high speed.

plus, we are paying like $9.99 a month for unlimited dial-up.

QUOTE (guitarman_2112 @ Sep 1 2006, 10:57 AM)
PLEASE, TELL ME I'M NOT ALONE!!!

ohmy.gif dial up??

yes.gif ..I think you are...."Alone"..

I can't imagine...ever using dial up again...I remember when I used to wait for a page to load....I could go and wash dishes...and when I came back..the page was still loading.... wtf.gif

How much more is it?....It can't be that much...just pay your parents the difference..

QUOTE (guitarman_2112 @ Sep 2 2006, 11:16 AM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Sep 2 2006, 10:49 AM)

well considering that i'm like the only one who uses the net in our house, they see no need to have high speed.

plus, we are paying like $9.99 a month for unlimited dial-up.

Verizon starts at 15 bux a month i believe. I'm sure you can chip in the extra six bux to your parents for them to change your provider?

ya. i'll see what i can do.

it's pretty sad when i can go on my grandma's comp and 40 Kbps is fast compared to what we get on mine

man we need to get high speed.......

I have cable right now and it's not cheap in this area. (borderline boonies)

I just received a call from Verizon, now offering DSL in my area, (now that I have 3 computers networked on 2 floors) for $17.99 a month after paying about $60 for the modem/router and a 12 month contract.

I'm not sure after being hooked up with cable if I want to switch everything over to DSL. Networking them back together is not a big deal, I just don't know if I want to 'step down' to DSL. Anyone ever switch from Cable to DSL have any advice for or against other than a much cheaper price?

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 1 2006, 08:59 AM)
You're alone. The entire rest of the internet world has ultra hyper-speed T14 connections. Didn't you get the email? Oh, that's right....dial up.

tongue.gif

Classic ! laugh.gif

Don't get DSL, cable smokes DSL on all levels. If you can justify the cost of cable compared with how much time you will save on the internet...then buck up and get it.

My work is all on the internet so an ultra fast connection is a must for me, but I also pay a steep fee!

BTW, dialup users are the ones who make my business more difficult. It would be so much easier to design websites without the extra worry of download times, especially DL times of dialup users. I say claim the phone lines back, they are after all supposed to be used for voice communication, not sending huge amounts of digital data across the globe! wink.gif

Edited by launchpad67a

I have High Speed ADSL Enhanced now. Whatever that means though. But I used to be on Dialup for many years before. I know the feeling of slow downloads and choppy radio stations that use high speed connections. Webcams are blurry and stop. Voice chatting is all distorted. unsure.gif Edited by Ru5h F@n

i've had cable almost 5 years now... and switched to DSL because of the cost..... at first, i had problems with the networking..... but once i solved that problem...(thank you very much TRF for your help) it was fine.....it seemed just as fast as the cable internet was...

BUT... i ended up going back to the cable because when i called the cable company and told them i wanted to cancel my account because i found internet access cheaper with another source, they offerred me a deal i couldn't refuse... for a year, they discounted my internet by half.....which ended up being even cheaper than the DSL.....

so i stuck with the cable...

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Sep 27 2006, 04:37 AM)
BUT... i ended up going back to the cable because when i called the cable company and told them i wanted to cancel my account because i found internet access cheaper with another source, they offerred me a deal i couldn't refuse... for a year, they discounted my internet by half.....which ended up being even cheaper than the DSL.....

That is a very good method of getting what you want for a cheaper rate, that everyone should should pay attention to.

You can use this method for cell phone contracts, internet, credit cards, ect... Just pretend (or don't) that you are dropping their services for a better deal. They will almost always match or beat the deal offered by their competitors! I do it All the time! cool.gif example: all of my credit cards are 0%, all of them.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Sep 27 2006, 03:23 PM)
QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Sep 27 2006, 04:37 AM)

That is a very good method of getting what you want for a cheaper rate, that everyone should should pay attention to.

You can use this method for cell phone contracts, internet, credit cards, ect... Just pretend (or don't) that you are dropping their services for a better deal. They will almost always match or beat the deal offered by their competitors! I do it All the time! cool.gif example: all of my credit cards are 0%, all of them.

I should give this a try, we dropped DirecTV for the lower cost Dish Network and kept the cable connection for Internet. The Internet connection costs more than the Dish Network Satellite connection. The Dish Network connection offers local channels as well as satellite programming. DirecTV did not offer local channels and had no plans to but receiving local channels on rabbit ears was a joke.

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Sep 27 2006, 05:29 PM)
I should give this a try, we dropped DirecTV for the lower cost Dish Network and kept the cable connection for Internet. The Internet connection costs more than the Dish Network Satellite connection. The Dish Network connection offers local channels as well as satellite programming. DirecTV did not offer local channels and had no plans to but receiving local channels on rabbit ears was a joke.

I'm not sure what you're saying DN? You have cable internet but you don't have local TV from Direct Tv ?

What does this mean...? unsure.gif

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Sep 27 2006, 07:40 PM)

I'm not sure what you're saying DN? You have cable internet but you don't have local TV from Direct Tv ?

DirecTV did not offer local channels because I live in the boonies. Dish Network does and has satellite channels at a lower rate than cable TV or DirecTV. I kept the cable line for the internet but had them unhook cable for the local channels. Cable and DirecTV is very expensive where I live and Dish Network offers both local and satellite channels at a much cheaper rate. DSL was NEVER available until recently and they are offering it for dirt cheap. My cable hook-up is for Internet only. How they are offering DSL, I'm not sure. The lines here have never had and probably never will have fibre optics. I live in a very rural area in a small town. Cable TV in this area only happened within the past 10 years.

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Sep 28 2006, 01:13 AM)
QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Sep 27 2006, 07:40 PM)

DirecTV did not offer local channels because I live in the boonies. Dish Network does and has satellite channels at a lower rate than cable TV or DirecTV. I kept the cable line for the internet but had them unhook cable for the local channels. Cable and DirecTV is very expensive where I live and Dish Network offers both local and satellite channels at a much cheaper rate. DSL was NEVER available until recently and they are offering it for dirt cheap. My cable hook-up is for Internet only. How they are offering DSL, I'm not sure. The lines here have never had and probably never will have fibre optics. I live in a very rural area in a small town. Cable TV in this area only happened within the past 10 years.

hmmmm....

before i moved 5 years ago, the town that i lived in didn't have cable hooked up to that area.... we had dish network then (and dial up) and we had to pay something like $5.00/month to get the local channels.... crock....

now i have directv...and i have local channels..but i'm not in the boonies (anymore)... we had dial up here for about a year i guess before cable or DSL came around....

but i may have to look at dish network again.....do a little comparison shopping.....

QUOTE (guitarman_2112 @ Sep 1 2006, 10:57 AM)
anybody else here suffering from the horrors or dial-up internet?? i can't be alone. PLEASE, TELL ME I'M NOT ALONE!!!

You are not alone, Dial-Up brother. I too suffer the misery of having to wait 5 minutes for a screen to load. That's why I TRF at school for the most part. That is, I will until they take away my internet priviledges for abusing the system. And for hacking.... comp26.gif