Review of Travelling Music

PuppetKing2112

I just got the new Modern Drummer issue in the mail, with Prince and John Blackwell on the cover. In the reviews section, they printed the following review:

TRAVELLING MUSIC: THE SOUNDTRACK TO MY LIFE AND TIMES

By Neil Peart

**** (out of 5)

In Travelling Music, legendary Rush drummer Neil Peart heads off towards Big Bend National Park in his BMW Z-8 to concieve a new writing project. What he finds along the way, by listening to a collection of CDs that includes Frank Sinatra, Linkin Park, The Tragically Hip, and The Who, are two inseparably constant themes in his life about which to write: music and motion. With an engagingly anecdotal style, Peart provides editorial snapshots of bicycle trips in West Africa, the "healing road" he travelled in Ghost Rider, and the years of endless touring and countless hotel rooms. By using his favourite songs and records to weave together the chronology from an inquisitive youth to the current Rush tour, Peart succeeds in delivering another thoughtful turn at prose.

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Nov 15 2004, 09:38 PM)
Not bad. 4 out of 5 is good. I heard the book was really good and a quick read. I hope to get it and read it after I finish Ghost Rider. Thanks for posting this. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif trink39.gif

I agree. Hope to get it also.

started reading it. I like it so far it is a great read. I think Neil Outdid himself this time. Erevyone should get this book if you like Neils Writing. I give it 4 Neils

NeilFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Nov 16 2004, 02:14 AM)
Pick it up thru our store!

Travelling Music

Ghost Rider

Remember folks, for festive gifts (or your own selfish pleasure), click the link and support the site.

Frankly, I believe RR should have a paypal button on the site, but the guy's too damned honourable for his own good biggrin.gif

QUOTE (kazzman @ Nov 15 2004, 09:32 PM)
I have nothing but praise for both Ghost Rider and Travelling Music. I can't wait to see what Neil's next book will be.

Me, too. I can't wait to read what he writes next.

While you're waiting, I highly recommend The Masked Rider, Cycling in West Africa. ISBN 1-895900-02-6

From 1996, its much lighter hearted and just as captivating as the newer two. At times, I was laughing out loud, biting my lip, holding my breath, clutching the book to my chest and rolling back and forth across across my bed. (Maybe that's just a chick thing, I don't know. But its damned unusual behavior for an accountant...this book is THAT good.)

BTW Cycling in West Africa = bicycling. The man is just amazing!!

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Nov 16 2004, 12:14 AM)
I have nothing but praise for both Ghost Rider and Travelling Music. I can't wait to see  what Neil's next book will be.

Neil inferred in "Travelling Music" that the next book might be a history of Rush as told from the inside...sort of Rush's Life and Times...

And "Travelling Music" really is a great book. I went through a personal rough patch myself recently (although nothing near as bad as Neil's experiences) and found that reading about his love of music - as intense as my own - was a cool way to help put things in perspective.

Lots of good information and quotes in Contents, but it's terrible written. The author's style is just awful...he repeats certain phrases ("with respect to (insert song or album here) and "On tour they trotted out (insert song here).")

But buy it for the interviews with the boys.

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Nov 15 2004, 11:14 PM)
I have nothing but praise for both Ghost Rider and Travelling Music. I can't wait to see  what Neil's next book will be.

While you're waiting, I highly recommend The Masked Rider, Cycling in West Africa. ISBN 1-895900-02-6

From 1996, its much lighter hearted and just as captivating as the newer two. At times, I was laughing out loud, biting my lip, holding my breath, clutching the book to my chest and rolling back and forth across across my bed. (Maybe that's just a chick thing, I don't know. But its damned unusual behavior for an accountant...this book is THAT good.)

BTW Cycling in West Africa = bicycling. The man is just amazing!!

I couldn't agree more...TMR is a wonderful read. I'm partial to GR (obviously) but everything I've read of Neil's is great.

No, I am NOT biased.

tempted.gif

smile.gif

I read it and enjoyed it immensely. Just like me, he has a vast array of musical tastes. However, the parts that enriched me the most were his love and devotion to his beautiful wife Carrie and how he still loves and misses Jackie and Selena. I strongly recommend it to all RUSH fans and non-fans.

P.S. I also highly recommend "The Masked Rider" and "Ghost Rider" in particular.

I am 3/4 of the way through the book and I like it. Patterns are starting to repeat, but it's good insight into Neil and the band.

Anyone know if there are pictures out there of their wives? I seen Carrie Nuttall's website. You get glimpses of them on the RIR DVD. wink.gif

Archived