How awesome are Rush live!!??!!

the_scorpion

After watching Rush in Rio on DVD over the last few days, I have made a few observations about the concert which was filmed. Rush live are AMAZING!!!!! From the resurrection of By-Tor to the perfection GeddyFinal.gif of Natural Science this is top-quality stuff. Neil Peart ( the Professor) is the best drummer in the world NeilFinal.gif , Geddy the best bassist ( with Steve Harris of Iron Maiden 2nd) and Alex Lifeson is unbelievable AlexFinal.gif and one of the best guitarists in the world. How they can perform like that in front of a fantastic ( mad!!! ) audience in Brazil is unbelievable and they sounded as good, if not better than on record! Personal highlights for me include: 2112, By-Tor, Natural Science, Cygnus X-1, Earthshine, Distant Early Warning, Red Sector A, Freewill and YYZ ( the crowd were ROCKING!!! ). Just felt that I had to complement the whole team on their camerawork, professionalism and sheer musicianship!! Roll on the next 40 years!! LOL.gif

Very True...the gig was amazing. Rush are one of the few bands in the world to get better as time goes on. I love the "By-tor/Cygnus/Working Man" Medley. common001.gif

rofl3.gif Have you noticed that guy in the crowd with the plaster cast on his arm? He always creases me up... joker.gif rofl3.gif

All I can say is I've seen Pink Floyd, Thin Lizzy, U2, Iron Maiden, Marillion and most of the new bands on the UK scene at the moment (Coldplay, Franz Ferdinand, Darkness, Keane, Streets and hundreds more), but Rush put on the most complete show I've ever seen.

The lights, the music, the film clips (which honour the fans with their attention to detail), the humour - it's an unbeatable package which noone can match.

LMAO! He is a nutter..moon.gif.. nothing was going to stop HIM common001.gif from going to the gig. They played near me in Manchester, England in September and I missed 'em,...but I will DEFINITELY be trying to see them next time!! In the meantime, I'll have to console myself with the DVD! cool10.gif

P.S. My favourite other songs are Anthem, Hemispheres, Red Barchetta and Limelight. chickendance.gif

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Nov 15 2004, 07:22 AM)
Very True...the gig was amazing. Rush are one of the few bands in the world to get better as time goes on.

I agree! I am a great fan since 1979, en I saw them in 1983 for the last time and then last October in Rotterdam. They were already great musicians and a great "live-band", but last time was so fantastic!! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Nov 15 2004, 01:49 PM)
Madra, I must ask. What is that pulsating blue thingy you have as your avatar? It reminds me of the Quatermass Experiment laugh.gif

It's a representation of the Eye of the Gods from the cover of the Horslips album "The Book of Invasions - A Celtic Symphony". The album cover is in my sig, and if you look at the eye on the cover, you'll notice the symbol resting in the iris.

Great write up Scorp as well as follow ups from others. These guys are the center of music for me. All music styles converge here. As does the height of talent, musicianship, and showmanship. You just can't beat a Rush concert.

2.gif AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Nov 15 2004, 10:16 AM)
QUOTE (rickyrob @ Nov 15 2004, 01:49 PM)
Madra, I must ask. What is that pulsating blue thingy you have as your avatar? It reminds me of the Quatermass Experiment laugh.gif

It's a representation of the Eye of the Gods from the cover of the Horslips album "The Book of Invasions - A Celtic Symphony". The album cover is in my sig, and if you look at the eye on the cover, you'll notice the symbol resting in the iris.

Horslips!!! Ah, someone else listens to Horslips!!!

RUSH!!!!!!!! I"ve seen them live every tour since 1981...A little boring in the midddle to late 80's..Then a long comes Counter Parts...My foolish Heart ..Almost give up on them dazed025.gif THANK GOD FOR RUSH yes.gif

QUOTE (slacker @ Nov 17 2004, 05:15 AM)
RUSH!!!!!!!!  I"ve seen them live every tour since 1981...A little boring in the midddle to late 80's..Then a long comes Counter Parts...My foolish Heart ..Almost give up on them dazed025.gif THANK GOD FOR RUSH yes.gif

I did give up on them after releasing Presto...in my opinion, their worst album..mistake sad.gif I can't believe what I missed!

I had no idea that they would quite simply become the best musical trio ever. The rhythm, the guitar-playing, the drumming, the lyrics! I really cannot fault them, with the small exception of a few hiccups live in Rio, but that's it really. Their music is totally inspirational, and they ENJOY it still, thats the amazing thing....bands that enjoy playing will always perform well. I think they could still play one-handed, blindfold and standing on their heads. LOL.gif

AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif

I only have Presto in vinyl....in fact I think it was the last vinyl record I ever bought. I tend not to play vinyl records nowadays only CDs. I am going to obain a full collection in CD form in time....I have 2112, Signals and Moving Pictures coming from Canada soon. I think I need about another 6 or 7 in CD form to make up the lot...excluding compilations.

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Nov 17 2004, 08:50 AM)
Alex's guitar often sounds like he's playing on rubberbands on that one though, not a great guitar recording.

Agreed. The guitar tone of that whole "era", the thin, tinny sound, grates on me. But, that "era" has passed and now we have Alex back in all his glory new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Nov 17 2004, 09:04 AM)
Alex's guitar often sounds like he's playing on rubberbands on that one though, not a great guitar recording.

Agreed. The guitar tone of that whole "era", the thin, tinny sound, grates on me. But, that "era" has passed and now we have Alex back in all his glory new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

AMEN, Brother....... AlexFinal.gif AlexFinal.gif AlexFinal.gif

I think "thin tinny sound" knocks the nail on the head...I remember buying Presto, and playing it for the first time. "Better play it again, I'm not sure about it"......(plays it again)...."hmmm, something not...quite...right..". I kept playing it with the thought I might get to like it. In the end I dumped it, but really only liked "War Paint" off of it at the time....when I listen to "The Pass" live, I can't believe its off the same album.

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Nov 17 2004, 09:16 AM)

I think "thin tinny sound" knocks the nail on the head...I remember buying Presto, and playing it for the first time. "Better play it again, I'm not sure about it"......(plays it again)...."hmmm, something not...quite...right..". I kept playing it with the thought I might get to like it. In the end I dumped it, but really only liked "War Paint" off of it at the time....when I listen to "The Pass" live, I can't believe its off the same album.

The Pass new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif What a powerful live song!!!

Agreed. The guitar tone of that whole "era", the thin, tinny sound, grates on me. But, that "era" has passed and now we have Alex back in all his glory

Yes,I agree with you all about the "poppy, eighties sound", but you've got to realize that it was "experimentation-time" for them, then. They've now gone back to their roots with "Vapour Trails" (yes, we use the "u" in England LOL.gif ) and "Earthshine" is just about as heavy as they've ever been, for me! trink39.gif

Besides, in the late eighties and early nineties, vinyl was being phased out and CD's phased in. This left me with the slight problem of having 200 LP's and 150 singles and what to do with them!! Once the needle went on the stereo doh.gif I was left with no means to listen to them! upyours.gif ( Nowhere sold them in the shops, suddenly!) oops.gif I have the same problem now in my car, where I can't listen to any new cassettes as they've stopped making 'em!! (I can't afford a CD player!!!) firedevil.gif I know how to transfer all the records etc. onto Cd Rom, but I am waiting for some money to upgrade my PC!! joker.gif

Congratulations, Snowdog, on arriving at the 2112 mark!!!

"To taste my little triumph, as the last immortal man.....!" trink39.gif

I've only 2104 to go!!!! nasty.gif LMAO!!! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif ( It will take me to the YEAR 2112!!!!!!) joker.gif

I've never seen them LIVE live, but I thought and still think that I like alot of their stuff from RiR and Show of Hands better than the studio stuff. Alex sounds alot heavier on RiR and I love it. I loved the Pass the first time I had ever heard it was from RiR. After that I was buying all the CD's and kept saying "Damn, which one is that on" I finally found Presto, and after listening to that CD, I couldn't believe it was on there. I hated Presto with a passion at first, but I now love it, if only for Chain Lightning, Pass, and Available Light! yes.gif