Anyone for tennis?

treeduck

This was also the first time in 2 years that he lost in North America. That record is amazing.

I read that tennis commentator Mary Carillo said that he basically tanked the match. She said that he went to the tournament because he had already committed to it. And also she stated that he didn't want to use all of his energy before the start of the U.S. Open. This isn't the first time I've heard something stupid come out of her mouth. Champions like Federer don't tank matches. They're too competitive. And I think it disrespects Andy Murray's (who's a good player in his own right) ability because it's saying that he didn't win but that Roger gave it to him. Just because someone besides Nadal beat him means that he tanked?! What was Carillo thinking?

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Aug 28 2006, 10:57 AM)
This was also the first time in 2 years that he lost in North America. That record is amazing.

I read that tennis commentator Mary Carillo said that he basically tanked the match. She said that he went to the tournament because he had already committed to it. And also she stated that he didn't want to use all of his energy before the start of the U.S. Open. This isn't the first time I've heard something stupid come out of her mouth. Champions like Federer don't tank matches. They're too competitive. And I think it disrespects Andy Murray's (who's a good player in his own right) ability because it's saying that he didn't win but that Roger gave it to him. Just because someone besides Nadal beat him means that he tanked?! What was Carillo thinking?

I think Federer would have pulled out rather than tank it, guys like him never like to lose. He obviously wasn't at his best but then Murray was dead tired after 14 matches in 17 days and he's not pro tennis fit yet. Murray's two or three years from playing his best tennis but at least he can say he beat Federer even if it might have been on his worst day.

QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Aug 29 2006, 07:23 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 29 2006, 04:49 PM)
What about Agassi last night btw?

Agassi extends career with win

I watched highlights.

I thought he was gonna lose.

I think he will lose his next match, he takes on Marcos Baghdatis of Cyprus who looks like a new star...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 29 2006, 09:17 PM)

I watched highlights.

I think he will lose his next match, he takes on Marcos Baghdatis of Cyprus who looks like a new star...

It looks like Agassi is gonna win this match he's two sets up (6-4 6-4) but a break down in the third (3-5)... Can his 36 year old, pain-wracked body hold out for another set after this one though?

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 31 2006, 09:44 PM)

I watched highlights.

It looks like Agassi is gonna win this match he's two sets up (6-4 6-4) but a break down in the third (3-5)... Can his 36 year old, pain-wracked body hold out for another set after this one though?

Third set 6-3 Baghdatis...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 31 2006, 09:50 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 31 2006, 09:44 PM)

I watched highlights.

Third set 6-3 Baghdatis...

Whoaaa 3-0 Agassi- looks like he was just having a third set breather...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 31 2006, 10:39 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 31 2006, 10:24 PM)
Now he's only leading 5-4...

Agassi lost the set 7-5 it's going down to a final set nail-biter...

This is an amazing match!

QUOTE (goose @ Aug 31 2006, 10:46 PM)

Yeah he's just broke back after looking in trouble...it could go either way now...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 31 2006, 10:48 PM)

Yeah he's just broke back after looking in trouble...it could go either way now...

Is Baghatis pulling up laim? What a shame...

QUOTE (goose @ Aug 31 2006, 11:15 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 31 2006, 10:48 PM)

Is Baghatis pulling up laim? What a shame...

That's just tactics to get Agassi to ease off or make a mistake...

ph34r.gif

This game at 4-4, final set could be the critical one...Andre got it and he he had several break points against...

Edited by treeduck

Agassi 6-5. Can he get it done?

BTW, I was thinking the same thing as I watched the histrionics from Baghdatis. A bit over the top. Agassi should have given him a little back on his receive of serve. 1287.gif

QUOTE (goose @ Aug 31 2006, 11:32 PM)

BTW, I was thinking the same thing as I watched the histrionics from Baghdatis. A bit over the top. Agassi should have given him a little back on his receive of serve. 1287.gif

Agassi wins!!! The dream lives on...

Next is some B Becker from Germany...no not Boris, Benjamin Becker...

If he wins there then it's Roddick, that'll be tough, for the Flushing crowd too...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 1 2006, 01:40 PM)

If he wins there then it's Roddick, that'll be tough, for the Flushing crowd too...

Who does Roddick play next? It isn't a guaranteed thing that him and Andre will play in the 4th round. But Andre's chances of getting there are quite good. Becker isn't even ranked in the top 100. And the crowd will be booing him anytime he strikes or touches the ball. Poor bastard. smile.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Sep 2 2006, 08:48 AM)

Who does Roddick play next? It isn't a guaranteed thing that him and Andre will play in the 4th round. But Andre's chances of getting there are quite good. Becker isn't even ranked in the top 100. And the crowd will be booing him anytime he strikes or touches the ball. Poor bastard. smile.gif

Roddick plays a Spanish guy, one of the lesser ones, there's about 7 better ones in the top 20, so it should be a Roddick victory...

Don't underestimate this Becker kid he thrashed Sebastien Grosjean in the last round and that guy's pretty solid and he's got nothing to lose against Agassi who might not be so up for him as he was for Baghdatis...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 3 2006, 05:53 PM)

Roddick plays a Spanish guy, one of the lesser ones, there's about 7 better ones in the top 20, so it should be a Roddick victory...

Don't underestimate this Becker kid he thrashed Sebastien Grosjean in the last round and that guy's pretty solid and he's got nothing to lose against Agassi who might not be so up for him as he was for Baghdatis...

I won't underestimate Becker. Generally, there are more upsets on the men's side compared to the women's anyways. But I really like Agassi's chances against him. And though Roddick should win, his opponent (Verdasco) is ranked in the top 30 (but, actually I think Roddick beat him a few times this year already). How great would an Andre vs. Andy round of 16 be though?! Bring it !!! 1022.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Sep 3 2006, 10:05 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 3 2006, 05:53 PM)

I won't underestimate Becker. Generally, there are more upsets on the men's side compared to the women's anyways. But I really like Agassi's chances against him. And though Roddick should win, his opponent (Verdasco) is ranked in the top 30 (but, actually I think Roddick beat him a few times this year already). How great would an Andre vs. Andy round of 16 be though?! Bring it !!! 1022.gif

Right now Agassi is 2 sets to 1 down to Becker...

scared.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 3 2006, 03:53 AM)

Good call on not underestimating a B. Becker. Another great match!