what went wrong?

Is Tom Sawyer overrated?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Is Tom Sawyer overrated?

• Possibly
    • No
    • Let me think about it
    • Yes
    • Thank you for letting me have an opinion!

QUOTE (momosdanceparty @ Aug 10 2006, 10:43 PM)
QUOTE (cla2112 @ Aug 10 2006, 08:56 PM)
You realize your "Xanadu" logo is from the Olivia Newton-John movie, right?

Heh, heh.

In high school, a friend (a drummer) told me that his band was going to bust out "Xanadu" in an upcoming battle of the bands.

"Why do you want to play an Olivia Newton-John song?" I asked.

*SMACK!*

(At this time, the only RUSH song I had ever heard was... Tom Sawyer. ) biggrin.gif

rofl3.gif

Yes, it is a movie with ONJ in it.

We're Talkin bout 2.gif here People!

how the f**k could ANY 2.gif be overrated?!? confused13.gif

dazed025.gif U disappoint me D0o0od for EVEN thinkin

That sad.gif b_sigh.gif

I don't understand the lyrics. fists crying.gif

1 Background

A poet and lyricist, Dubois worked with the band Max Webster, who were based in Sarnia, Ontario, in the same province as Rush’s hometown of Toronto. The two bands were close, recording a song together, Battle Scar, that featured on Max Webster’s 1980 album Universal Juveniles. “Those guys were big friends of ours,” Lifeson recalls. “But Pye was a little mysterious – kind of a strange fellow! He was very quirky, a bit of a nut, but he did write great lyrics. And around 1980 he sent a poem to Neil with an idea to collaborate on a song. The original draft was called Louie The Warrior.”

The poem was based on Twain’s 1876 novel The Adventures Of Tom Sawyer, which all three members of Rush had studied in school. Peart in particular identified with the book’s central themes of rebellion and independence. From 2112 through to Freewill on Permanent Waves, individuality was a recurring subject in Peart’s lyrics. What Dubois created in Louie The Warrior was, in Peart’s words, “a portrait of a modern-day rebel”. Says Lifeson: “Neil took that idea and massaged it, took out some of Pye’s lines and added his thing to it.” Peart chose the simpler title of Tom Sawyer and completed the lyrics with an element of autobiography. As he put it, “Reconciling the boy and man in myself.”

(Taken from https://www.loudersound.com/features/the-story-behind-the-song-tom-sawyer-by-rush)

2 Themes of Tom Sawyer

a Moral and Social Maturation

When the novel opens, Tom is engaged in and often the organizer of childhood pranks and make-believe games. ...As Tom begins to take initiative to help others instead of himself, he shows his increasing maturity, competence, and moral integrity.

b Society’s Hypocrisy

Twain complicates Tom’s position on the border between childhood and adulthood by ridiculing and criticizing the values and practices of the adult world toward which Tom is heading. Twain’s harshest satire exposes the hypocrisy—and often the essential childishness—of social institutions such as school, church, and the law, as well as public opinion.

The games the children play often seem like attempts to subvert authority and escape from conventional society.

c Freedom through Social Exclusion

(Taken from https://www.sparknotes.com/lit/tomsawyer/themes/)

1 Background

A poet and lyricist, Dubois worked with the band Max Webster, who were based in Sarnia, Ontario, in the same province as Rush’s hometown of Toronto. The two bands were close, recording a song together, Battle Scar, that featured on Max Webster’s 1980 album Universal Juveniles. “Those guys were big friends of ours,” Lifeson recalls. “But Pye was a little mysterious – kind of a strange fellow! He was very quirky, a bit of a nut, but he did write great lyrics. And around 1980 he sent a poem to Neil with an idea to collaborate on a song. The original draft was called Louie The Warrior.”

The poem was based on Twain’s 1876 novel The Adventures Of Tom Sawyer, which all three members of Rush had studied in school. Peart in particular identified with the book’s central themes of rebellion and independence. From 2112 through to Freewill on Permanent Waves, individuality was a recurring subject in Peart’s lyrics. What Dubois created in Louie The Warrior was, in Peart’s words, “a portrait of a modern-day rebel”. Says Lifeson: “Neil took that idea and massaged it, took out some of Pye’s lines and added his thing to it.” Peart chose the simpler title of Tom Sawyer and completed the lyrics with an element of autobiography. As he put it, “Reconciling the boy and man in myself.”

(Taken from https://www.loudersound.com/features/the-story-behind-the-song-tom-sawyer-by-rush)

2 Themes of Tom Sawyer

When the novel opens, Tom is engaged in and often the organizer of childhood pranks and make-believe games. ...As Tom begins to take initiative to help others instead of himself, he shows his increasing maturity, competence, and moral integrity.

b Society’s Hypocrisy

Twain complicates Tom’s position on the border between childhood and adulthood by ridiculing and criticizing the values and practices of the adult world toward which Tom is heading. Twain’s harshest satire exposes the hypocrisy—and often the essential childishness—of social institutions such as school, church, and the law, as well as public opinion.

The games the children play often seem like attempts to subvert authority and escape from conventional society.

You’re a bit late. Grizz died several years ago.

I don't understand the lyrics. fists%20crying.gif

1 Background

(Taken from https://www.louderso...-sawyer-by-rush)

2 Themes of Tom Sawyer

b Society’s Hypocrisy

(Taken from https://www.sparknot...msawyer/themes/)

oh... sorry about that (tho I wasn't in this conversation till now)

1 Background

2 Themes of Tom Sawyer

b Society’s Hypocrisy

And I believe it was "Louie the Lawyer"

As the majority said in the first round, it is overplayed, but not over-rated. Great song. Cool sound, complex to appreciate but easy to hum along with, instantly recognizable hook/riff.

It's one of those rare pop chart hits that represents the best that a rock band has to offer.

Many other rock groups got their hits by bending a knee and changing their sound to fit the Current Pop Gods.

Rush made the pop charts bend a knee to THEM, even if for a limited time...

As the majority said in the first round, it is overplayed, but not over-rated. Great song. Cool sound, complex to appreciate but easy to hum along with, instantly recognizable hook/riff.

It's one of those rare pop chart hits that represents the best that a rock band has to offer.

Many other rock groups got their hits by bending a knee and changing their sound to fit the Current Pop Gods.

Rush made the pop charts bend a knee to THEM, even if for a limited time...

Bent it all the way to #44!!! :LOL:
  • Like 1

No way. It can only be appreciated after loving the albums leading up to it. The common man hears it as running with the devil. A true rush aficionado hears heaven open and God says “your just showing off”. if they were a one hit wonder ,this might have been it. BUT we all know they aren’t a 1HW. Hell they got like 5 albums that better the Beatles best Edited by Red3angel