what went wrong?

Is Tom Sawyer overrated?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Is Tom Sawyer overrated?

• Possibly
    • No
    • Let me think about it
    • Yes
    • Thank you for letting me have an opinion!

Despite the fact that Tom Sawyer is awesomely awesome, there are a lot of other Rush songs to choose from. In fact, I don't think that this will be the only poll of this variety that I post...

Leave That Thing Alone!!!!!!! dazed025.gif dazed025.gif dazed025.gif

This could only be the perception of someone who's overplayed the song...

i mean if you've listened to it non-stop since 1981 then I'm sure it'll probably cross your mind that it might, just could be overrated...

tongue.gif

Not overrated, just overplayed. The talented musicianship and great lyrics remain.
  • Like 1

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 9 2006, 03:03 PM)

i mean if you've listened to it non-stop since 1981 then I'm sure it'll probably cross your mind that it might, just could be overrated...

tongue.gif

Well then it's a good thing that I wasn't even born in 1981. 653.gif

QUOTE (what went wrong? @ Aug 9 2006, 03:11 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 9 2006, 03:03 PM)

tongue.gif

Well then it's a good thing that I wasn't even born in 1981. 653.gif

Even if you'd been listening it from 1990 you'd have that perspective I expect...

wink.gif

I voted yes, but it was borderline "possibly". Maybe this depends on how one defines the word "overrated". I'd say the song is definitely overplayed, and possibly overplayed to the point of being overrated. Many people automatically think Tom Sawyer when they hear mention of Rush, like Rush = Tom Sawyer and nothing else. (the same could be said for others, like Working Man, Spirit of Radio, and especially New World Man, which is definitely overrated imho, but that's another topic)

I've heard TS so many times on the radio that I've grown tired of it, even though it is still a great song.

QUOTE (dakota2112 @ Aug 9 2006, 03:38 PM)
I voted yes, but it was borderline "possibly". Maybe this depends on how one defines the word "overrated". I'd say the song is definitely overplayed, and possibly overplayed to the point of being overrated. Many people automatically think Tom Sawyer when they hear mention of Rush, like Rush = Tom Sawyer and nothing else. (the same could be said for others, like Working Man, Spirit of Radio, and especially New World Man, which is definitely overrated imho, but that's another topic)

I've heard TS so many times on the radio that I've grown tired of it, even though it is still a great song.

I hardly listen to the radio these days...

Now, don't get me wrong- if it has to be the "flagship" to draw people in, then whatever.

But one thing that I love about Rush (that I can't say about too many other bands) is that they can create albums that each have a distinct sound, yet all their albums sound like Rush.

Really, the only things I've ever heard by Rush on the radio are Tom Sawyer, Limelight, The Spirit Of Radio, and 2112 Overture/Temples. It's too much of a focus on their early 80's stuff, and not enough on their mid-to-late 80's and especially 90's.

Tom Sawyer is a great song, don't get me wrong, and it's not bad at all. People here shouldn't be ashamed to call it one of their favorite songs just because it's popular. Rush is a band, though, that can't really have a flagship song at all.

Their early 80's material is their most popular, but as far as I have seen or can see, that's the only stuff that will ever get played on my local radio stations. That time period of Rush is definitely not bad or even overrated (looking at Classic Rock as a whole), but it's all a lot of people have heard, so they haven't got a good enough glimpse of Rush's versatility and unique musicianship.

Edited by Blue Baby Dragon

I don't believe that it is overreated just over played... It's a

good song with great music behind it. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Here there is one classic rock station and they only play

that 1 2.gif song... Now that makes me kinda mad... rage.gif

Necro has opened me up to 2.gif the last 2 years and they

are REALLY amazing and I can't see how I missed out on them!!!

Edited by CeeJ

I have heard this song a zillion times and I never tire of it. It's one of Rushs' trademark songs. It's not my favourite by a longshot, but it's definitely not overrated.

Hello Everybody!

No...To me, Tom Sawyer is not overrated.

Though it is not my favorite Rush song, it does rank in my top ten; probably around 6 or 7.

It is also an emotional song for me...I won't continue on like yesterday.

It took me a while to get to know this song, and now for the past few years, I appreciate and worship it even more...forevermore. Neil's contribution of intelligent & unique lyrics; and especially his drumming. Tie in Geddy's vocal tone, with the musical score that he & Alex came up and I think of it as brilliance; it is of classical rock status; just my feelings.

Talk to y'all later.

QUOTE (Grandpa Grizz @ Aug 9 2006, 04:53 PM)
I don't understand the lyrics. fists crying.gif

Hey Grizz are you really a grandpa or is it just some sort of cute, quirky nickname that just somehow stuck about 15 years ago...??

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 9 2006, 03:02 PM)

Hey Grizz are you really a grandpa or is it just some sort of cute, quirky nickname that just somehow stuck about 15 years ago...??

I'm not a grandpa, but my two younger brothers are. My screenname was developed in a chat one evening. One young chatter was calling me Grandpa. Another chatter, a personal friend, liked to call me Grizz. My last name is Grizzle. Since I'm so much older than most people on the boards, I liked it. Plus, at the time, it gave people from another board a way to recognize me, as I was known there by my real name.

Lots of peeps just call me Grizz. smile.gif

QUOTE (Grandpa Grizz @ Aug 9 2006, 05:42 PM)

I'm not a grandpa, but my two younger brothers are. My screenname was developed in a chat one evening. One young chatter was calling me Grandpa. Another chatter, a personal friend, liked to call me Grizz. My last name is Grizzle. Since I'm so much older than most people on the boards, I liked it. Plus, at the time, it gave people from another board a way to recognize me, as I was known there by my real name.

Cool.

Hey you remind me of someone in your pic...I can't think who it is yet though...

As sick as I am of it, I can't say overrated. It's a phenomenal song. I just think it's BS that radio, around here anyway, only play TS. I get sick of it to the point of nearly hating it. But when I'm at home and it comes on shuffle, I can't turn it off... so while sick of it... it's so damn good that it doesn't matter. Does that make any sense? laugh.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 9 2006, 04:09 PM)
QUOTE (Grandpa Grizz @ Aug 9 2006, 05:42 PM)

Cool.

Hey you remind me of someone in your pic...I can't think who it is yet though...

Sir Laurence Olivier? cool.gif

as many others have said, not overrated, but over played. like when my friends ask me about rush, and if they would reconize any of there songs, i usually mention ones like, tom sawyer, spirit of the radio, etc. its not a bad song by any means, great music, great lyrics, and it has become a song that rush can be indentified buy, its just played a freakin lot on the radio.

but i would rather have them reconized among the less informed by tom sawyer rather than another song that wasn't as good.

I'd just say it is a verry popular song of it's day and quite the landmark of their career. It's not anymore over played than say, Stairway to heaven, I still love the chills the synth sends up my spine after all these years. applaudit.gif