Rush's Breakthrough Album?

NeilPeartFan2112

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (faultline @ Nov 14 2004, 11:33 PM)
Wow! ES-335, I dont think you need to post here anymore! dazed025.gif

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif hey ! I am just kidding. I dont know if it is cheezy or not , it is just so familar, and SCi themes have been over wrought, that I believe it is just not so novel ....maybe. What is funny to me, is that by the time PeW came out, Neil said at that time that he found Sci-fi "Boring" all of the sudden. Maybe he thought it was cheezy too. wink.gif

PeW is when the band went public in my mind. The Hemi tour had one unsold out show in the Los Angeles area, to 4 sold out shows for the PeW tour. Things changed for the band then, to real celebrity. You can see why Limelight was written for the following album.

QUOTE (ES-335 @ Nov 14 2004, 09:41 PM)
I loved the album when it was released ... and I still love it compared the mass of NON RUSH almuns out there, and I still get chills at the end of Grand Finale ... but twilight zone, passage and lessons doesn't do as much as most of the other albums.

Also, and I may be flamed for this, and that is ok ... but I feel that the 2112 suite is a little on the cheesy side now after almost 30 years. I can't remember the last time I listened to the whole first side os 2112.

But, I still feel it is their breakthrough album for many reasons, maibly as it is the best selling album from the 70s (I think)

No firedevil.gif coming from me. We are all entitled to our opinion. Glad you expressed yours ES.

I still think it's very relevant, but I'm a nerd, geek, etc. However I don't listen to it as much as I once did just because I have listened to it so much already. I have to agree with you on Twilight Zone and Lessons. They just don't do it for me anymore, but I still enjoy Passage.

QUOTE (war2112 @ Nov 15 2004, 06:38 AM)
QUOTE (ES-335 @ Nov 14 2004, 09:41 PM)
I loved the album when it was released ... and I still love it compared the mass of NON RUSH almuns out there, and I still get chills at the end of Grand Finale ... but twilight zone,  passage and lessons doesn't do as much as most of the other albums. 

Also, and I may be flamed for this, and that is ok ... but I feel that the 2112 suite is a little on the cheesy side now after almost 30 years. I can't remember the last time I listened to the whole first side os 2112.

But, I still feel it is their breakthrough album for many reasons, maibly as it is the best selling album from the 70s (I think)

No firedevil.gif coming from me. We are all entitled to our opinion. Glad you expressed yours ES.

I still think it's very relevant, but I'm a nerd, geek, etc. However I don't listen to it as much as I once did just because I have listened to it so much already. I have to agree with you on Twilight Zone and Lessons. They just don't do it for me anymore, but I still enjoy Passage.

To a certain extent, if Neil didn't think 2112 was cheesy now, I think there would be something wrong. What Rush have done more succesfully than most is to progress album by album without becoming derivative.

What's the next one ginna sound like?. I dunno, but I'll bet this week's wages it'll be bloody good.

Wouldn't it blow your mind if the next CD features a 20 minute epic? Rush reintroduces the concept of a concept album. 1022.gif

Oh - in response to the topic.... Yes - I firmly agree that 2112 is their breakthrough album. And such poetic justice in that, too. As Kazz mentioned earlier in this thread... the ultimate FU album. Under such pressure to steer clear of such projects after COS.... they just dug in deeper and did what they wanted to do.

Few bands had and/or have the creative freedom that Rush did, under contract. They would not have survived if they didn't score that kind of creative freedom.

In Britain, I would say it was Permanent Waves. From it, a single that made the charts in Britain (I needn't repeat the title)

2.gif

Yeah, 2112 was the breakthrough album, but without COS there is a chance that 2112 wouldn't have been made, it really got them going in the right direction with Lamneth and Necromancer. But that's my opinion. I also think it was Moving Pictures that really made them huge (mostly because of Tom Sawyer).

I agree with 2112

I think Rush was at their peak on Moving Pictures. Nothing against their later stuff though.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 15 2004, 10:34 AM)
Wouldn't it blow your mind if the next CD features a 20 minute epic? Rush reintroduces the concept of a concept album. 1022.gif

Where's the begging emoticon? biggrin.gif I would love this as I'm sure many fans would. But sadly, I think the boys have outgrown their "epic" days. But who knows. They always seem to surprise.

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Nov 15 2004, 09:28 AM)
Wouldn't it blow your mind if the next CD features a 20 minute epic?  Rush reintroduces the concept of a concept album.  1022.gif

Where's the begging emoticon? biggrin.gif I would love this as I'm sure many fans would. But sadly, I think the boys have outgrown their "epic" days. But who knows. They always seem to surprise.

A Bad Company song from the 70's come's to mind...

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Nov 15 2004, 12:54 PM)
QUOTE (Snowdog @ Nov 15 2004, 09:28 AM)
Wouldn't it blow your mind if the next CD features a 20 minute epic? Rush reintroduces the concept of a concept album.  1022.gif

A Bad Company song from the 70's come's to mind...

laugh.gif

yes.gif

In all of the official biographies of the band I have read they say that A Farewell To Kings was the biggest turning point for them. It was album that got them to a break even point and they started to make money after that record came out. 2112 was them against the record company. AFTK yielded their first legitimate hit in Closer to the Heart (which is why they played it on every tour through VT). Had AFTK not been successful we never would have gotten Hemispheres or anything after.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Nov 15 2004, 04:41 PM)
In all of the official biographies of the band I have read they say that A Farewell To Kings was the biggest turning point for them. It was album that got them to a break even point and they started to make money after that record came out. 2112 was them against the record company. AFTK yielded their first legitimate hit in Closer to the Heart (which is why they played it on every tour through VT). Had AFTK not been successful we never would have gotten Hemispheres or anything after.

That's a good choice. Tracks like Xanadu, Closer to the Heart and Cygnus X-1 are fan favorites. Aren't 2112, A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres a trilogy? Correct me if I'm wrong.

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Nov 15 2004, 04:43 PM)

That's a good choice. Tracks like Xanadu, Closer to the Heart and Cygnus X-1 are fan favorites. Aren't 2112, A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres a trilogy? Correct me if I'm wrong.

You may be correct, but I've just never heard that before. I do remember the first three albums - Rush, Fly By Night, Caress Of Steel - being available in a three record set called Archives released in 1978. Mercury Records figured it was a good push of the early material after the exposure and visibility they started getting with 2112, ATWAS, and AFTK.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 15 2004, 05:01 PM)
QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Nov 15 2004, 04:43 PM)

You may be correct, but I've just never heard that before. I do remember the first three albums - Rush, Fly By Night, Caress Of Steel - being available in a three record set called Archives released in 1978. Mercury Records figured it was a good push of the early material after the exposure and visibility they started getting with 2112, ATWAS, and AFTK.

You're right about Archives. I really want to get that Cd. It's rare though. Do you know any place to get one besides Ebay? I have looked at some local record shops and Best Buy and no luck. Maybe it was a promo or something. I dunno. Anyone know?

I don't think Archives was reissued on CD, it was only available on vinyl in the 70s. You can find plenty of vinyl copies of it on eBay though. They would have no reason to reissue it on CD. I read in Contents Under Pressure that the reason they released Archives was to give Caress of Steel a second life because they still believed in it. Obviously they feel differently about that record now. It's still my favourite Rush album though...

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Nov 15 2004, 08:35 PM)
I don't think Archives was reissued on CD, it was only available on vinyl in the 70s. You can find plenty of vinyl copies of it on eBay though. They would have no reason to reissue it on CD. I read in Contents Under Pressure that the reason they released Archives was to give Caress of Steel a second life because they still believed in it. Obviously they feel differently about that record now. It's still my favourite Rush album though...

Thanks. I am gonna get one for my album collection. Is it rare?

2112 gave Rush its first US Top 100 album but still was considered a flop on a commercial level. However, their first crack at the US Top 40 was All the World's a Stage. A Farewell to Kings was Rush's first US Top 30 and first US Gold album going Gold in two months of release thanks to Closer to the Heart getting airplay on US rock radio. Thanks to AFtK going Gold, 2112 and ATWaS went Gold subsequently. Hemispheres would be Rush's fourth Gold seller in a row setting the way for PWaves to be Rush's first US Top 5 album hitting #4 and MP to hit #3.

Thank you. Thanks to AFtK's success 2112 and ATWaS would attain Gold status at the same time AFtK would go Gold in November of 1977.

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Nov 15 2004, 03:43 PM)
That's a good choice.  Tracks like Xanadu, Closer to the Heart and Cygnus X-1 are fan favorites.  Aren't 2112, A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres a trilogy?  Correct me if I'm wrong.

What an amazing observation turtle boy! Never heard or thought of it before, but if not an actual trilogy, these three compositions certainly seem to make up an evolutionary biography of man, with examples taken from vastly different points in time/history/future, as well as the physical/political/spiritual viewpoint. From the mouth of babes.... new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Archived