Rush's Breakthrough Album?

NeilPeartFan2112

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's what I would have chose. But since you did, and I had another wandering around in that place where my brain is supposed to reside, I'll go with Permanent Waves.

Well, if you go on a 'radio' play theme, then 'Spirit of Radio'. This was the first song that really got into 'heavy rotation' on the radio. Granted, in select markets there were other Rush songs being played but nothing hit the nation wide radio like 'Spirit'. And as soon as that hit, you started hearing all kinds of other tunes.

I remember hearing live Xanadu on the 'King Biscut Flower Hour' when I was around 14 yrs. I thought it was the coolest thing back then!!

With regard to the UK I think it would have to be A Farewell to Kings. Prior to that, the other albums had, generally, only been available on import but, on the heels of their first British dates as part of the All the Worlld's a Stage Tour, FTK was the first album to get an official UK release at the same time as the USA and Canada. In addition, Closer to the Heart was released as their first single in the UK as made the lower regions of the charts.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Nov 13 2004, 01:06 PM)
With regard to the UK I think it would have to be A Farewell to Kings. Prior to that, the other albums had, generally, only been available on import but, on the heels of their first British dates as part of the All the Worlld's a Stage Tour, FTK was the first album to get an official UK release at the same time as the USA and Canada. In addition, Closer to the Heart was released as their first single in the UK as made the lower regions of the charts.

I remember reading a book years ago (Brian Harrigan I think was the author), where he wrote about seeing Rush for the first time in the UK in '76 and being stunned at the number of fans at the gig who knew every word.

There was always a cult following there, but while 2112 was the breakthrough album in terms of ensuring they had a career (Rushfreak & Snowdog are both right there), I think Permanent Waves was probably the real breakthrough both commercially and in terms of their sound.

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Nov 13 2004, 09:17 AM)
I think Permanent Waves was probably the real breakthrough both commercially and in terms of their sound.

From a mass market appeal perspective, I believe Slaine is correct in that this provided their most "commercially acceptable" material in regards to appealing to the masses and it also provided an awesome new direction for the band to go in. So in terms of musical direction, I would agree with Slaine that PeW provided a "musical breaktrough" for the boys.

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Nov 13 2004, 04:55 PM)
I think Permanent Waves was probably the real breakthrough both commercially and in terms of their sound.

From a mass market appeal perspective, I believe Slaine is correct in that this provided their most "commercially acceptable" material in regards to appealing to the masses and it also provided an awesome new direction for the band to go in. So in terms of musical direction, I would agree with Slaine that PeW provided a "musical breaktrough" for the boys.

Except that I didn't say that, it was madra.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Nov 13 2004, 04:09 PM)
QUOTE (Snowdog @ Nov 13 2004, 04:55 PM)

Except that I didn't say that, it was madra.

doh.gif sorry madra biggrin.gif

Because classic rock radio was few and far between in the 70's, you really only heard Spirit of Radio, until Moving Pictures came out, then you heard Tom Saywer, Limelight, YYZ and Red Barchetta being played all the time. Slowly, disc jockeys started talking about Rush with respect that they had built such a core audience with no help from radio. Closer to the Heart and Freewill started making appearances on the radio also.

So, while 2112 is awsome, and Permanent Waves put them onto the radar, Moving Pictures really brought Rush to everyone's attention. It went platinum in seconds.

Kidglove14

QUOTE (kidglove14 @ Nov 13 2004, 06:35 PM)
Because classic rock radio was few and far between in the 70's, you really only heard Spirit of Radio, until Moving Pictures came out, then you heard Tom Saywer, Limelight, YYZ and Red Barchetta being played all the time. Slowly, disc jockeys started talking about Rush with respect that they had built such a core audience with no help from radio. Closer to the Heart and Freewill started making appearances on the radio also.

So, while 2112 is awsome, and Permanent Waves put them onto the radar, Moving Pictures really brought Rush to everyone's attention. It went platinum in seconds.

Kidglove14

Yeah, but if 2112 failed and they didn't get a record deal you may have never heard of Rush again, which may have meant no Moving Pictures.

From a commercial standpoint, I have to agree with 2112, but from a musical and historical standpoint I have to go with Caress of Steel. This is when they started writing the kind of 20-minute epics that would make them famous in years to come. Plus, this record was a mojor flop which forced 2112 to be so great. So if thay hadnt made Caress, they wouldnt have made 2112 either. So in the end I have to say that Caress of Steel is Rush's breakthrough album.

Im going to go with Power Windows. It is just a great album all the way around. Also Hold your fire. I am a 80's and 90's 2.gif fan. But i am also in to the 70's a little bit.

The real question is what constitutes a breakthrough album?

It could be argued from many perspectives with different answers, all equally valid. I've always liked the quote which was given by Leonardo Da Vinci (I think) when asked what was his most important painting. His reply -

The next one!!

I loved the album when it was released ... and I still love it compared the mass of NON RUSH almuns out there, and I still get chills at the end of Grand Finale ... but twilight zone, passage and lessons doesn't do as much as most of the other albums.

Also, and I may be flamed for this, and that is ok ... but I feel that the 2112 suite is a little on the cheesy side now after almost 30 years. I can't remember the last time I listened to the whole first side os 2112.

But, I still feel it is their breakthrough album for many reasons, maibly as it is the best selling album from the 70s (I think)

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Nov 14 2004, 10:28 PM)
QUOTE (ES-335 @ Nov 14 2004, 09:27 PM)

ALthough it is one of my least favorites.

Are you serious dude? Why is that? I think it's an amazing album. My favorite.

Rare to hear one of least liked. unsure.gif

Archived