Bob and Doug McKensie with Geddy Lee

Knight of Hyrule

I have the song on my iPod, and everyone thinks of it as a novelty song, but I truly LOVE geddy's vocals on it.

BTW anyone know who the musicians were on it?

It's a little strange to me that this tune hit higher on the charts than any Rush song. For some reason I think it hit #10 while New World Man (their most commercially successful tune I think) was #23 or something. I'm not sure but those numbers stick in my head. Oh well, billboard ratings...what do they know?! confused13.gif

QUOTE (Noisy Bastard @ Jul 26 2006, 09:27 AM)
I love it, too. Geddy is funny without being stupid. Cracks me up every time I hear it! Puts a smile on my face...

He has a great sense of comic timing - he's not as over the top as Alex, but he can be hysterically funny.

That was such a great thing Ged did.

Take off was as Canadian as back bacon and put such an amazing spin on Chistmas Carols that year,

Every year since the only thing that gets me in the Christmas spirit is the Bob and Doug LP with Ged on it - the 12 days of x mas

The great white north christmas album - Bob and Doug Macenzie

from SCTV ..

1 The Great White North: Bob and Doug McKenzie LP 1981

Various topics. The hit song 'Take Off!', and that Christmas classic, 'Twelve Days of Christmas'. Released November 1981 on Anthem Records (ANR 1-1036), and later on CD.

Bob McKenzie - Moranis; Doug McKenzie - Thomas; Geddy Lee - himself

QUOTE (Knight of Hyrule @ Jul 26 2006, 01:22 AM)
Has anyone else heard the Bob and Doug McKensie song where Geddy Lee sings?

It's awesome. smile.gif

"Take off! to the great white north!
Take off! It's a beauty way to go!"

I just aged. A lot. Everyone my age remembers that... and SCTV. And SNL when it was good. And vinyl & big album covers. And FM that was worth a crap. And $15 concert tickets. Ok, Im going to go in the corner and cry, be right back... (*sobs*).

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jul 27 2006, 06:49 AM)

It's awesome. smile.gif

"Take off!  to the great white north!

I just aged. A lot. Everyone my age remembers that... and SCTV. And SNL when it was good. And vinyl & big album covers. And FM that was worth a crap. And $15 concert tickets. Ok, Im going to go in the corner and cry, be right back... (*sobs*).

I hear ya. I remember I paid $10 for the Signals concert. And yes, SNL was damn good in those days.

On a side note, I heard Rick Moranis and Geddy knew each other from school.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jul 26 2006, 05:49 PM)

It's awesome. smile.gif

That's what I was thinking lerxt1990. I was in high school when this was released which is a little scary. The second post was "be nice" but I think we all realized that the poster may be quite young and not have realized this was out. Very funny. I watched SCTV (we even got it in Florida) but still took some time to figure out that this was not released on a Rush album! 1287.gif

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jul 26 2006, 06:51 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jul 26 2006, 05:49 PM)

It's awesome. smile.gif

That's what I was thinking lerxt1990. I was in high school when this was released which is a little scary. The second post was "be nice" but I think we all realized that the poster may be quite young and not have realized this was out. Very funny. I watched SCTV (we even got it in Florida) but still took some time to figure out that this was not released on a Rush album! 1287.gif

I didnt read down far, but to be fair, how would any young person today be aware of SNL or Take Off?

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jul 26 2006, 02:49 PM)

It's awesome. smile.gif

I'll cry with you. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Archived