last song/riff/rhythm learned?

QUOTE (New World Kid @ Jul 27 2006, 03:40 PM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jul 24 2006, 08:23 PM)
^^Real easy if you ask me smile.gif

Just finished Strange Deja Vu by Dream Theater.  What's next?  The Dance of Eternity laugh.gif

(wow my hands and feet will hate me if i play that tongue.gif )

I learned Home about 2 weeks ago on drums...It was a fun song to sing along with as well, well, for me...but not for anyone who could HEAR me!

anyway, most recently i've been studying "Test For Echo" actually, It's fun to play because it's so...jazzy. I wish I could write drum parts that well!

Home doesn't sound too challenging, unfortunately my drums are currently at my guitarist's studio, and I don't have the necessary time and circumstances to go and noodle around and learn new songs...I have to wait two weeks angry.gif...

Anyways, we're preparing a small set (it has to be like under an hour) to play next week. Here's what we have so far:

Pinball Wizard (The Who)

Fire (Jimi Hendrix)

Dogs of War (Pink Floyd)

Hard to Handle (Guitarist wants to try and mimic the Black Crowes version)

Rock and Roll (Led Zeppelin)

Smoke on the Water (Deep Purple)

Route 66

and we'll probably learn a few more. I (unfortunately) was forced to learn Smoke on the Water last week. It's not all that hard, but I don't really want to play it...

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Jul 29 2006, 06:56 PM)
QUOTE (KirkDS @ Jul 29 2006, 01:28 PM)
Red Barchetta was my last Rush tune learned...  It's quite a bit more difficult to play correctly than you'd think! I was trying to record a drum track for it for my online collaboration project and it must've taken me a million tries to get it somewhere near decent.
Here's a small clip of me going off on some tangent at the end of one of my failed takes...

http://h1.ripway.com/KirkDS/Drum%20Tracks/RedB-Improvise.mp3

That sounded great! I like a good improv and that certainly was a good one.

How are you recording the drums? Sounds great whatever you are doing. Also, do you play along with the music or do you just play by memory? I've been trying to play along with the actual songs lately and have found it hard due to the fact that to get the tones I want from my amps, they have to be cranked up loud. I end up not being able to hear the music coming out of the speakers over my amps, even with headphones. The only thing that works for me is iPod ear pieces.

Good work.

Thanks man... Just some cheap mics and a small (and cheap) Mackie mixer. It goes into my PC where I can EQ and add some reverb. (obviously too much reverb on this clip!)

If you check out our "Digital Men" site, it goes into more detail, but yes...I do play along with the CD to record my tracks.

Since you're a guitarist, here are a few of my drum tracks to play along with if you'd like.

http://h1.ripway.com/KirkDS/Drum%20Tracks/index.html

QUOTE (KirkDS @ Jul 30 2006, 11:00 AM)
Red Barchetta was my last Rush tune learned...  It's quite a bit more difficult to play correctly than you'd think! I was trying to record a drum track for it for my online collaboration project and it must've taken me a million tries to get it somewhere near decent.
Here's a small clip of me going off on some tangent at the end of one of my failed takes...

How are you recording the drums? Sounds great whatever you are doing. Also, do you play along with the music or do you just play by memory? I've been trying to play along with the actual songs lately and have found it hard due to the fact that to get the tones I want from my amps, they have to be cranked up loud. I end up not being able to hear the music coming out of the speakers over my amps, even with headphones. The only thing that works for me is iPod ear pieces.

Good work.

Thanks man... Just some cheap mics and a small (and cheap) Mackie mixer. It goes into my PC where I can EQ and add some reverb. (obviously too much reverb on this clip!)

If you check out our "Digital Men" site, it goes into more detail, but yes...I do play along with the CD to record my tracks.

Since you're a guitarist, here are a few of my drum tracks to play along with if you'd like.

ohmy.gif

Holy Crap! Thanks. This will be the closest I've been to actually playing rush with a real person ever!

Listening to Red Barchetta now. Sounds great. I have to find a way to get this in to my 4 track so I can play along with it, record it and post it.

Thanks again! (adds your page to favorites)

WOW. I'm listening to more now. I'm really excited about this. I can't wait to start recording. Once I lay down the guitar, maybe we can get one of the bass players on the board to lay down the bass? We could have our own internet band! trink39.gif

OK. Just looked at your signature. I see you are already doing that. I talked to Pete a few times before and he mentioned the project. You guys sound great. 2.gif

Edited by rushfanNlv

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Jul 30 2006, 02:30 PM)
QUOTE (KirkDS @ Jul 30 2006, 11:00 AM)

Good work.

ohmy.gif

Holy Crap! Thanks. This will be the closest I've been to actually playing rush with a real person ever!

Listening to Red Barchetta now. Sounds great. I have to find a way to get this in to my 4 track so I can play along with it, record it and post it.

Thanks again! (adds your page to favorites)

WOW. I'm listening to more now. I'm really excited about this. I can't wait to start recording. Once I lay down the guitar, maybe we can get one of the bass players on the board to lay down the bass? We could have our own internet band! trink39.gif

OK. Just looked at your signature. I see you are already doing that. I talked to Pete a few times before and he mentioned the project. You guys sound great. 2.gif

Thanks a lot man! Hey, nothing wrong with adding your guitar to my drums just because it's already been done. I'd love to hear it.

Your Red Sector A sounded great. Makes me wanna do that one next.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jul 29 2006, 07:21 PM)

Just finished Strange Deja Vu by Dream Theater.  What's next?  The Dance of Eternity laugh.gif

I learned Home about 2 weeks ago on drums...It was a fun song to sing along with as well, well, for me...but not for anyone who could HEAR me!

anyway, most recently i've been studying "Test For Echo" actually, It's fun to play because it's so...jazzy. I wish I could write drum parts that well!

Home doesn't sound too challenging, unfortunately my drums are currently at my guitarist's studio, and I don't have the necessary time and circumstances to go and noodle around and learn new songs...I have to wait two weeks angry.gif...

Anyways, we're preparing a small set (it has to be like under an hour) to play next week. Here's what we have so far:

Pinball Wizard (The Who)

Fire (Jimi Hendrix)

Dogs of War (Pink Floyd)

Route 66

and we'll probably learn a few more. I (unfortunately) was forced to learn Smoke on the Water last week. It's not all that hard, but I don't really want to play it...

Home is/was the first DT song I dedicated myself to learning, rather then just playing along with, I know it seems like an easier one out of their catalog, but, thats what I was going for...

I also learned As I Am on drums within the last couple of days, it was a lot easier then Home...I'll say that...

The most recent song I've learned on the drums is Who Are You by The Who. Even then though I can't get the fills down exactly, but I try to be as close as I can. I also know (on the drums) Fire (Jimi Hendrix Experience) & Break On Through (The Doors).

QUOTE (New World Kid @ Aug 5 2006, 01:01 AM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jul 29 2006, 07:21 PM)

Pinball Wizard (The Who)

Fire (Jimi Hendrix)

Dogs of War (Pink Floyd)

Route 66

Home is/was the first DT song I dedicated myself to learning, rather then just playing along with, I know it seems like an easier one out of their catalog, but, thats what I was going for...

I also learned As I Am on drums within the last couple of days, it was a lot easier then Home...I'll say that...

A lot of DT is out of the question for me until I get a double pedal or another bass drum. Though I have become pretty good with faking some slower or shorter amounts of double bass with one foot, it still can't carry on to DT unless I become John Bonham.

That being said, I want to learn Close to the Edge. I already have a good general idea of how it's done...maybe I'll learn it the way Alan White plays it laugh.gif laugh.gif

I'm doing Limelight (on bass), and I've just gotten right past the guitar solo. Man Geddy is really doing some busy stuff there.

QUOTE (Cygnalschick @ Aug 31 2006, 02:12 PM)
I'm doing Limelight (on bass), and I've just gotten right past the guitar solo. Man Geddy is really doing some busy stuff there.

That is such a cool bass line during the guitar solo! I am learning to play a bit of bass and that was one of the ones I played around with. It's so hard to do because it almost sounds improvised. It's all about the space between the notes. It's hard to count the time, it's sort of a "feel" thing (like the guitar solo itself!).

On guitar, the last song I learned (for another project) was the Cult, "Sweet Soul Sister". That allowed me to rediscover what a fantastic album "Sonic Temple" really is.

In the process of learning Distant Early Warning. I learned the song once when the album first came out (I was 14 then) but when I started playing it again (now at 36) I realized that there is a hell of a lot more going on in that song than I knew about. I really only learned the chords the first time. There is a whole lot of picking going on and different versions of the picking the same chord...the guy is just an amazing guitarist to study. I can't imaging a more satisfying person to emulate on guitar. Sure there are guys who are faster and guys who can make all kinds of wierd noises but Alex's complex use of simple guitar theories is just awesome.

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Sep 1 2006, 01:41 PM)
In the process of learning Distant Early Warning. I learned the song once when the album first came out (I was 14 then) but when I started playing it again (now at 36) I realized that there is a hell of a lot more going on in that song than I knew about. I really only learned the chords the first time. There is a whole lot of picking going on and different versions of the picking the same chord...the guy is just an amazing guitarist to study. I can't imaging a more satisfying person to emulate on guitar. Sure there are guys who are faster and guys who can make all kinds of wierd noises but Alex's complex use of simple guitar theories is just awesome.

Agreed 100%.

I love how he can take a simple chord progression and sort of turn it inside out. The things that sound easy are usually difficult to play and vice versa.

That's why I love playing in the Rush tribute band. Alex's parts are never boring and it's a real challenge trying to get inside his head to figure out the parts.