last song/riff/rhythm learned?

on any instrument, what is the last song or part of a song that you learned?

i was just looking up some killswitch engage, Take This Oath and The End of Heartache, and before that i learned the main riffs to Shadows Fall's Destroyer of Senses. that song is crazy, and so fun to play.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Learned some more dream theater..AS I AM, to be exact. I work on more originals than nething tho, but gonna start learning NIghtwish Ghost Love Score, and something else

Dave Matthews Band- Lie In Our Graves

Honestly, I can't think of a more fun acoustic riff.

E:-2-----------------------------3

B:-3-----------------------------0

G:-2--------------------2--------0 x infinity

D:-0----------0--2--4-----4-----0

A:----4--2-----------------------2

E:---------------------------3---3

Edited by thestand

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Jul 24 2006, 10:49 PM)
Red Sector A. You can tell I'm still learning the solo. I know all the parts it's just stringing them all together I seem to have a problem with. Of course I had no problem when the 4 track wasn't running. angry.gif

Anyway, it's a bad recording but I think I've got the chords down.

what were you playing that on?

QUOTE (Sonilink @ Jul 26 2006, 01:12 PM)
Red Sector A.  You can tell I'm still learning the solo.  I know all the parts it's just stringing them all together I seem to have a problem with.  Of course I had no problem when the 4 track wasn't running.  angry.gif

Yamaha Se-150 with EMG's and an Ibanez floating trem using the bridge and middle pick ups-->Vintage MXR Dyna Comp-->Vintage MXR Micro AMp-->Maxon AD-900 Analog Delay-->Vintage Roland CE-1----signal split to stereo by the CE-1 and fed into a Vintage Marshall 4140 combo amp (on the right and dry) and a Peavey Classic 30 amp (on the left and wet as hell).

You can see the whole rig here. The Marshall on the right is out of action at the moment and that's why I was using the Peavey Classic 30.

Are you asking becuase it sucked or because you liked it?

Edited by rushfanNlv

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jul 24 2006, 08:23 PM)
^^Real easy if you ask me smile.gif

Just finished Strange Deja Vu by Dream Theater. What's next? The Dance of Eternity laugh.gif

(wow my hands and feet will hate me if i play that tongue.gif )

I learned Home about 2 weeks ago on drums...It was a fun song to sing along with as well, well, for me...but not for anyone who could HEAR me!

anyway, most recently i've been studying "Test For Echo" actually, It's fun to play because it's so...jazzy. I wish I could write drum parts that well!

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Jul 26 2006, 07:43 PM)
Red Sector A.  You can tell I'm still learning the solo.  I know all the parts it's just stringing them all together I seem to have a problem with.  Of course I had no problem when the 4 track wasn't running.  angry.gif

Yamaha Se-150 with EMG's and an Ibanez floating trem using the bridge and middle pick ups-->Vintage MXR Dyna Comp-->Vintage MXR Micro AMp-->Maxon AD-900 Analog Delay-->Vintage Roland CE-1----signal split to stereo by the CE-1 and fed into a Vintage Marshall 4140 combo amp (on the right and dry) and a Peavey Classic 30 amp (on the left and wet as hell).

You can see the whole rig here. The Marshall on the right is out of action at the moment and that's why I was using the Peavey Classic 30.

well you kinda get a really good sound

QUOTE (Sonilink @ Jul 28 2006, 03:56 AM)
QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Jul 26 2006, 07:43 PM)

well you kinda get a really good sound

Thanks very much! I appreciate the comment.

i haven't really learned anything since my last post, but since then i've further worked on Dani California by the chili peppers (which is pretty much the rythm from that Tom Petty song).

i'm trying to get the solo down. i can all of it leading up to the really fast part, then i can do this part:

e--10-10-13-15(tremelo picking)

when it repeats that like 3 or 4 times, i'm surprised at how well i can play that part, but right after that where it kinda descends in the end of the solo i'm having trouble with. i think i just need to memorize the finger movements and i'd be able to do it, i just need to practice. also, the part before the part i can do, where it's a little lower, i think i could get that down but i'm having a hard time getting the timing of it down in my head so i'm lost when i try to play it. i just gotta listen to the power tab over and over again though and i'll get it.

Red Barchetta was my last Rush tune learned... It's quite a bit more difficult to play correctly than you'd think! I was trying to record a drum track for it for my online collaboration project and it must've taken me a million tries to get it somewhere near decent.

Here's a small clip of me going off on some tangent at the end of one of my failed takes...

http://h1.ripway.com/KirkDS/Drum%20Tracks/RedB-Improvise.mp3

QUOTE (KirkDS @ Jul 29 2006, 01:28 PM)
Red Barchetta was my last Rush tune learned... It's quite a bit more difficult to play correctly than you'd think! I was trying to record a drum track for it for my online collaboration project and it must've taken me a million tries to get it somewhere near decent.
Here's a small clip of me going off on some tangent at the end of one of my failed takes...

http://h1.ripway.com/KirkDS/Drum%20Tracks/RedB-Improvise.mp3

That sounded great! I like a good improv and that certainly was a good one.

How are you recording the drums? Sounds great whatever you are doing. Also, do you play along with the music or do you just play by memory? I've been trying to play along with the actual songs lately and have found it hard due to the fact that to get the tones I want from my amps, they have to be cranked up loud. I end up not being able to hear the music coming out of the speakers over my amps, even with headphones. The only thing that works for me is iPod ear pieces.

Good work.