Neil drum solo

war2112

which solo is your fave  

50 members have voted

1. 1. which solo is your fave

• The Rhythm Method - Show of Hands
    • The Rhythm Method - Different Stages
    • O Baterista - Rush in Rio

I was getting so pumped with all the 2.gif talk here that I just had to pop in my RIR disc and pay homage to the god of the skins. So my question is, which Neil solo makes you air-drum the most (as if they all don't). I don't have any boots, so I did not include them but feel free to express on them if you'd like. Also, I am sorry to say that the only copy I have left of ESL is an ages-old tape that has since deteriorated and I don't recall if one is on there. So probably not the best poll but have at it if you like.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

War you should have been around last Friday night. A whole bunch of us got together here and watched RIR simultaneously. Some of us got nice and drunk in the process. Dude, the Rush talk and good vibes were just FLYING. It was awesome.

I went with the Different Stages solo. You know.... I really can't explain why cause I think the RIR solo is amazing. It's so hard to vote for one without feeling like you're dismissing another. But I already placed the vote, and I'll happily stick with it.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 11 2004, 12:33 AM)
War you should have been around last Friday night. A whole bunch of us got together here and watched RIR simultaneously. Some of us got nice and drunk in the process. Dude, the Rush talk and good vibes were just FLYING. It was awesome.

I went with the Different Stages solo. You know.... I really can't explain why cause I think the RIR solo is amazing. It's so hard to vote for one without feeling like you're dismissing another. But I already placed the vote, and I'll happily stick with it.

Oh, man, wish I coulda' been there. Mutual 2.gif vibes are the best. I feel your pain on the choice so I balanced it so far by casting my lot for the RIR version.

I had to go with Different Stages. It's really clean as opposed to...bite my tounge...RIR. There are some mistakes on RIR that I don't care for, although the video is great to watch!

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Nov 11 2004, 01:51 AM)
I had to go with Different Stages. It's really clean as opposed to...bite my tounge...RIR. There are some mistakes on RIR that I don't care for, although the video is great to watch!

I'm always interested in other's opinions, especially on matters Rush. What mistakes do you mean? Neil's trouble with the midi-marimba (I think, he looked apprehensive), or something else?

I did go back and listen to the Different Stages solo and now I'm in a quandry myself. That just proves how consistently great Neil is.

Maybe its just me that thinks the ASOH is great? There are a lot of key moments on the RIR one I enjoy, such as his inclusion of the pieces of eight bit and the big band section. And Different Stages definatly shows a great progression in his drumming style. But the first drum solo I ever heard or see him do was on the ASOH cd and video and it was just mind blowing. Thats my choice

QUOTE (war2112 @ Nov 11 2004, 02:05 AM)
QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Nov 11 2004, 01:51 AM)

I'm always interested in other's opinions, especially on matters Rush. What mistakes do you mean? Neil's trouble with the midi-marimba (I think, he looked apprehensive), or something else?

I did go back and listen to the Different Stages solo and now I'm in a quandry myself. That just proves how consistently great Neil is.

Just in general it's not super clean, like he normally plays. One thing that comes to mind are the quadrupplets at the end of the solo. Very sloppy, sounds like a big mess to me. I don't like to pick apart his solos like I used to when I was young. It's better just to listen to them and enjoy.

Mabey I've been listening/watching his solos for too many years. I've heard about everything he can do so many times, I've become critical of his playing. Never the less, still great stuff!

QUOTE (war2112 @ Nov 11 2004, 05:26 AM)
I was getting so pumped with all the 2.gif talk here that I just had to pop in my RIR disc and pay homage to the god of the skins. So my question is, which Neil solo makes you air-drum the most (as if they all don't). I don't have any boots, so I did not include them but feel free to express on them if you'd like. Also, I am sorry to say that the only copy I have left of ESL is an ages-old tape that has since deteriorated and I don't recall if one is on there. So probably not the best poll but have at it if you like.

I went with O Baterista - Must be the dancing girls at the end!!

BTW, on Exit Stage Left, the solo is in YYZ, on All The World's a Stage, it's included in a kickass medley of Working Man and Finding my Way, along with the classic introduction from Geddy - "Ladies and Gentlemen, the professor on the drumkit..."

NeilFinal.gif

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Nov 11 2004, 04:36 AM)
QUOTE (war2112 @ Nov 11 2004, 05:26 AM)
I was getting so pumped with all the  2.gif talk here that I just had to pop in my RIR disc and pay homage to the god of the skins. So my question is, which Neil solo makes you air-drum the most (as if they all don't). I don't have any boots, so I did not include them but feel free to express on them if you'd like. Also, I am sorry to say that the only copy I have left of ESL is an ages-old tape that has since deteriorated and I don't recall if one is on there. So probably not the best poll but have at it if you like.

I went with O Baterista - Must be the dancing girls at the end!!

BTW, on Exit Stage Left, the solo is in YYZ, on All The World's a Stage, it's included in a kickass medley of Working Man and Finding my Way, along with the classic introduction from Geddy - "Ladies and Gentlemen, the professor on the drumkit..."

NeilFinal.gif

Gosh, I forgot all about All The World's A Stage. That's yet another tape I have that is literally 17 or 18 years old and haven't listened to in a long time. I know, I know, I gotta update my stuff. Thanks for bringing back the memory, though. When you said it, I couls hear it it my head. Sweet!

Yyz from ESL. It is a drum solo, no sync to video, no samples, just live percussion. There is no stand alone 8 minute indulgence (that I could frankly do without- give me another tune instead) from more recent tours. This solo is very cool, concise, difficult and very clean. Also one of the coolest things about this solo is that it is part of the song. It starts in the third break when he and Geddy trade solos and ends after the extended solo when he plays the third Yyz solo phrase to bring Geddy and Alex back in to finish the song. I always thought that was slickly done. They did a similar thing on the GUP tour with Red Lenses, but it wasn't as effective as Yyz.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Nov 11 2004, 02:30 PM)
Yyz from ESL. It is a drum solo, no sync to video, no samples, just live percussion. There is no stand alone 8 minute indulgence (that I could frankly do without- give me another tune instead) from more recent tours. This solo is very cool, concise, difficult and very clean. Also one of the coolest things about this solo is that it is part of the song. It starts in the third break when he and Geddy trade solos and ends after the extended solo when he plays the third Yyz solo phrase to bring Geddy and Alex back in to finish the song. I always thought that was slickly done. They did a similar thing on the GUP tour with Red Lenses, but it wasn't as effective as Yyz.

Hey Cyg your avatar isn't showing up!

OMG I've never heard that!!! Red Lenses is such a great song, and to have a drum solo in the middle. Does anyone have a copy of this track? I'd love to check it out.

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Nov 11 2004, 12:40 PM)

Hey Cyg your avatar isn't showing up!

All better!

I gotta agree there Cygnus. I definatly loved the way that YYZ and Red Lenses filtered into the drum solo, was definatly very cool sounding. At least with LTTA for the last few tours (excluding the R30 tour), they had a song they could transfer over to the solo for. The R30 solo just seemed lacking of that continuity that made it so much better in previous tours. It was just like another song in the setlist rather then a song with a drum solo showcase, I was kinda disapointed in that, but oh well confused13.gif.

Maybe the next album will crank another instrumental or a drum beat on a song th at has a lot of room for improvisation for them to flow the solo into.

Man, I thought the big band stuff was genius. Just a tremendous change of pace and fun too! As I look at the solos, Neil is still giving us just as much pure percussive power as before if you look at the running times of the solos, he has just embellished it with the big band stuff. IMO, for the better. I love it.

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Nov 11 2004, 04:40 PM)
I like O Baterista. I didn't notice any mistakes, though. What mistakes do you speak of?

Slop! There is slop all over that thing. The quads especially. Nobody said it wasn't good. Not nearly as sloppy as AWIP.

Yes, the big band stuff is genius in context of the entertainment factor, but it is hardly Neil solo. It is clever, and there are still reflections of his solos from the earlier days now, but the Yyz solo is in the tradition of good old fashioned rock and roll drum solos. I cut my teeth on that solo. Definitive Neil.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Nov 11 2004, 07:52 PM)
the Yyz solo is in the tradition of good old fashioned rock and roll drum solos. I cut my teeth on that solo. Definitive Neil.

Can't argue with that. A total classic, for sure. That was the first time a drummer ever made my jaw drop in amazement. It blew me away, still does.

I like the solo from the GUP tour and how it went in and out of Red Lenses instead of the traditional YYZ.

And how could you leave the YYZ solo from ESL out of this? Or the one at the end of ATWAS for that matter?

Archived