war2112

which solo is your fave  

50 members have voted

1. 1. which solo is your fave

• The Rhythm Method - Show of Hands
    • The Rhythm Method - Different Stages
    • O Baterista - Rush in Rio

QUOTE (kazzman @ Nov 11 2004, 08:59 PM)
I like the solo from the GUP tour and how it went in and out of Red Lenses instead of the traditional YYZ.

And how could you leave the YYZ solo from ESL out of this? Or the one at the end of ATWAS for that matter?

Sorry. My 18 year old copy of ESL has deteriorated beyond belief so that's why. Pretty much the same for my ATWAS. My bad, as that's the stuff I was weaned on. Now I just have extra incentive to get those two on CD. wink.gif

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, just like I said in my earlier post...there is slop. I guess you really need to be a drummer to hear what we're talkin' about.

I still love all the sample hits and the big band thing. I've actually stole a few things like that for my solos. sshhhhh

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Nov 11 2004, 10:03 PM)
Yep, just like I said in my earlier post...there is slop. I guess you really need to be a drummer to hear what we're talkin' about.
I still love all the sample hits and the big band thing. I've actually stole a few things like that for my solos. sshhhhh

I am a drummer as a matter of fact.

I went with the solo from "Different Stages". It's actually too hard to pick a favorite, but I chose this one because I was in the audience when it was recorded. Pixey and I were in the lawn, at the then New World Music Theatre, on 2 blankets with 17 people and tons of cool10.gif and trink39.gif Man, talk about Making Memories. 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Nov 11 2004, 09:36 PM)
QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Nov 11 2004, 07:52 PM)
the Yyz solo is in the tradition of good old fashioned rock and roll drum solos. I cut my teeth on that solo. Definitive Neil.

Can't argue with that. A total classic, for sure. That was the first time a drummer ever made my jaw drop in amazement. It blew me away, still does.

yes.gif

1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Nov 11 2004, 04:36 AM)
QUOTE (war2112 @ Nov 11 2004, 05:26 AM)
I was getting so pumped with all the  2.gif talk here that I just had to pop in my RIR disc and pay homage to the god of the skins. So my question is, which Neil solo makes you air-drum the most (as if they all don't). I don't have any boots, so I did not include them but feel free to express on them if you'd like. Also, I am sorry to say that the only copy I have left of ESL is an ages-old tape that has since deteriorated and I don't recall if one is on there. So probably not the best poll but have at it if you like.

I went with O Baterista - Must be the dancing girls at the end!!

BTW, on Exit Stage Left, the solo is in YYZ, on All The World's a Stage, it's included in a kickass medley of Working Man and Finding my Way, along with the classic introduction from Geddy - "Ladies and Gentlemen, the professor on the drumkit..."

NeilFinal.gif

nice pick madra, all the worlds a stage..never forget when i first heard it..matter of fact puttng it on rite now blah.gif

Well i chose the O Basterista Solo because it is an awesome solo. I really like the end when he goes in to the big band sound very cool. Also its just all around exciting to see. I have seen it live twice once in Camden and the other in Philly.

I think ATWS is his best drum solo. No computer crap, just straight drums. I never heard another solo come close to that one.

QUOTE (Indica @ Nov 15 2004, 11:37 AM)
I think ATWS is his best drum solo. No computer crap, just straight drums. I never heard another solo come close to that one.

Yeah, but those drums sound like cardboard boxes. That whole album sounds like ass. I listen to that live album the least. I have bootlegs that sound better than that record.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Nov 15 2004, 04:56 PM)
That whole album sounds like ass.

icon_really_happy_guy.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif too funny icon_really_happy_guy.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Nov 15 2004, 05:20 PM)
It's funny cuz it's true!

I just like your choice of words. laugh.gif

It's not really fair to compare RIR to the other live albums because it was a one take, take it or leave it recording, where as ESL, ASOH, and DS had many shows recorded, so the guys could pick and choose the recording to make the album.

Had to go with the one from RiR. O Baterista was played at my first Rush concert.

The swing section is amazing! 1287.gif

And Neil's set turns around twice! drool1.gif

QUOTE (Cygnus @ Jan 25 2005, 11:49 AM)
It's not really fair to compare RIR to the other live albums because it was a one take, take it or leave it recording, where as ESL, ASOH, and DS had many shows recorded, so the guys could pick and choose the recording to make the album.

I'm going with DS,

But Cygnus, you bring up a good point about RIR. I love that concert album (set list + energy level), but I don't like the sound quality. However, if I keep in mind that they were dealing with some very adverse conditions, I'll let it slide!

Went with O'Baterista. I used to like the different stages version better, but after a few times watching RiR, I changed my mind. Its hard to describe why I like it more... I guess its just one of those things.

And i love the cowbell intro to the ASOH solo!

Thanks a lot folks, for making me friggin' choose! ARGH! I like each one in it's own way...... for instance the ATWAS solo just has raw energy and lots of things on that one were different than some things that would be in the solo for years to come, although there are some that have always been in his solos. I love the cleanliness of the ESL YYZ solo (and the cowbell things too!) Different Stages has a lot of fast fast snare stuff going on his B-H-H waltz ostinato, that was killer. I also love the cowbells near the end (I know, I'm a sucker for cowbells), and his japanese-sounding dealie he played on the midi-marimba. O Baterista just has a lot of great footwork and of course the triggered big band tribute to Buddy Rich at the end. Being a drummer, Neil has influenced my drumming in a HUGE way, and I'll be playing a long drum solo for my skool talent show this year, and I'm throwing in some Neil solo stuff here and there. Neil rocks!!

NeilFinal.gif

QUOTE (DoubleAgent420 @ Jan 25 2005, 04:59 PM)
Thanks a lot folks, for making me friggin' choose! ARGH! I like each one in it's own way...... for instance the ATWAS solo just has raw energy and lots of things on that one were different than some things that would be in the solo for years to come, although there are some that have always been in his solos. I love the cleanliness of the ESL YYZ solo (and the cowbell things too!) Different Stages has a lot of fast fast snare stuff going on his B-H-H waltz ostinato, that was killer. I also love the cowbells near the end (I know, I'm a sucker for cowbells), and his japanese-sounding dealie he played on the midi-marimba. O Baterista just has a lot of great footwork and of course the triggered big band tribute to Buddy Rich at the end. Being a drummer, Neil has influenced my drumming in a HUGE way, and I'll be playing a long drum solo for my skool talent show this year, and I'm throwing in some Neil solo stuff here and there. Neil rocks!!

NeilFinal.gif

goodpost.gif

You and Kazzman should get along just fine. smile.gif

That is true Cygnus but I hope you don't think that the drum solos were pieced together on the other recordings. I pretty sure they were not.

As far as sound quality of any of the solos, I say RIR has the best drum sound. Although it's a typical live Rush recording, crowd noise is just as loud as the music at points. I always hated that and will never understand why they allow this. They have consistantly had some of the worst live recordings on the market, for really no good reason. I know the quality is there, I hear it every time I see them!

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jan 25 2005, 06:37 PM)

That is true Cygnus but I hope you don't think that the drum solos were pieced together on the other recordings. I pretty sure they were not.

As far as sound quality of any of the solos, I say RIR has the best drum sound. Although it's a typical live Rush recording, crowd noise is just as loud as the music at points. I always hated that and will never understand why they allow this. They have consistantly had some of the worst live recordings on the market, for really no good reason. I know the quality is there, I hear it every time I see them!

Not at all, what I am saying that somewhere on the VT tour, Neil was on, More than he was in Reo. The other Live albums would be able to choose that solo. RIR they had to go with what they got that night. Mainly because it was also on DVD, so the could not change it .

Still my favorite mainly because when I listen to it, I can picture it in my mind, from watching the DVD. applaudit.gif

Archived