I got Ghostrider today (the book by Neil Peart)

NeilPeartFan2112

I think I can offer some thoughts... wink.gif

I love this book. It is (as one of my fellow Rush sisters put it) what made Neil come alive for me. I'd heard the music for years, but until I read this book in a single weekend I didn't appreciate the depth of Neil's character which translates into his lyric writing.

I've read some critiques (most of them fair) about Neil's comments toward certain groups of people (i.e. overweight people, Americans in general, etc.) and I can only say that he was bitter and feeling angry at the world. It's not an excuse, but it is a reason.

All in all, in this book Neil thrilled me with his scenic descriptions, cheered me with his humor and wit, challenged me with his intellect, and touched my heart with his honesty and pain.

I give it 5/5 little Neils....GG's highest praise. smile.gif

NeilFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Nov 10 2004, 09:30 PM)
NeilFinal.gif  NeilFinal.gif  NeilFinal.gif  NeilFinal.gif  NeilFinal.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif Oh you were the right one to respond to this. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 10 2004, 08:41 PM)

laugh.gif laugh.gif Oh you were the right one to respond to this. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Tee hee...yeah, I felt a great disturbance in the force, and had to sign on...I knew there was a Neil thread that needed my attention.

wink.gif

I enjoyed this book a lot NPF2112 (If I may call you that). It took me a bit longer to get through it, as the travelogue writing style is not my favorite prose style. But his insights on life, and the therapeutic nature of his letters to Brutus were quite powerful, funny, and clever.

What impressed me also was the fortitude it must have taken him to just keep going, especially after his first awful day of travel, with rain blowing on him and large trucks crowding him. How easy it would have been for him to just return home, become a hermit, and never work again.

But, I was sure glad that I hung out until the end. His humor returned toward the end of the book, reflecting his own healing process.

And the book did have a happy ending, the opinions of our various "Neil Nymphs" notwithstanding. nasty.gif

NeilFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif

It's like asking a preacher what he thinks of the bible.... laugh.gif laugh.gif

NeilFinal.gif Has a great mind and anything he has to say I want to listen..

He's a teacher plain and simple.......

QUOTE (BSG @ Nov 10 2004, 10:00 PM)
I enjoyed this book a lot NPF2112 (If I may call you that). It took me a bit longer to get through it, as the travelogue writing style is not my favorite prose style. But his insights on life, and the therapeutic nature of his letters to Brutus were quite powerful, funny, and clever.

What impressed me also was the fortitude it must have taken him to just keep going, especially after his first awful day of travel, with rain blowing on him and large trucks crowding him. How easy it would have been for him to just return home, become a hermit, and never work again.

But, I was sure glad that I hung out until the end. His humor returned toward the end of the book, reflecting his own healing process.

And the book did have a happy ending, the opinions of our various "Neil Nymphs" notwithstanding. nasty.gif

It's cool BSG. You can call me that whenever you like. I don't mind nicknames, considering it's much faster to type. I'm not really that far yet. I just finished the first chapter. I can tell that it's going to be good though. Thanks for all of your thoughts.

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Nov 10 2004, 09:01 PM)

It's like asking a preacher what he thinks of the bible.... laugh.gif laugh.gif

Now THAT'S funny....

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Nov 10 2004, 11:14 PM)
After u finish reading that u have to read Neil's new book called Travelling Music: The Soundtrack to my Life and Times....it's also a great read....

Agreed. GR is an interesting read, but I have to agree with BSG that the style employed in that book is not my favorite. I liked TM even more than GR. It really gave you a glimpse into his youth.

Ghost rider is a great read for anyone that likes Rush and Neil Peart. Even though it is scrictly about Neil coping with his Daughter and Wife's Death. He really tells you who he is inside. I also loved how he told us where he went for the five years he was riding around for good reasons. To find himself and also what to do from here. Neil is my favorite of the three because he is the one that writes the lyrics. Also i love Ghostrider the song.

NeilFinal.gif

QUOTE (Presto45 @ Nov 13 2004, 09:46 PM)
Ghost rider is a great read for anyone that likes Rush and Neil Peart. Even though it is scrictly about Neil coping with his Daughter and Wife's Death. He really tells you who he is inside. I also loved how he told us where he went for the five years he was riding around for good reasons. To find himself and also what to do from here. Neil is my favorite of the three because he is the one that writes the lyrics. Also i love Ghostrider the song.

NeilFinal.gif

Ghostrider is an amazing song.

Archived