Best Live Opener

Pags

What do you think is the band's best song to open with?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the band's best song to open with?

• The Spirit Of Radio
    • Tom Sawyer
    • The Big Money
    • Force Ten
    • Dreamline

These are the songs they've opened their show with over the last 15+ years. Which do you think worked the best?

And before you blast me... I left the R30 Overture off the list on purpose for two reasons: 1st, I wanted to give the others a fighting chance laugh.gif and 2nd, I'm more curious about songs that are also on record, not 'created' for the live performance.

OK - VOTE.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Nov 10 2004, 04:19 PM)
I went with Dreamline because I like Spirit of the Radio a lot better.

WHAT?? icon_really_happy_guy.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 10 2004, 04:29 PM)

Would rather hear the song you like near the middle 'while' it's hot... But Dreamline is a very good kickoff song.

You don't want to be spoiled right away. That's just me personally.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Nov 10 2004, 04:34 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 10 2004, 04:29 PM)

Would rather hear the song you like near the middle 'while' it's hot... But Dreamline is a very good kickoff song.

You don't want to be spoiled right away. That's just me personally.

Oh that makes more sense. I just did not at all get what you were saying, and it made me laugh my ass off. COOL Barney!! biggrin.gif

Tom Sawyer, closely followed by Dreamline. 1022.gif common001.gif I think the opening song of a gig should have a good solid start to make an immediate impact....both the aforementioned do. At one time it was Bastille Day, another song with a catchy start. I thing some songs are made to be openers at gigs. Not keen on Force Ten though, something not quite right about this being an opener. Big Money has gotten boring...with me anyway schla03.gif

I went with TSOR...everyone knows they're going to play it, and of course it's a great song. I agree with DM...gets the crowd going!

Definitely Dreamline. It's just perfect and I think the best opening track of all their albums. Not necessarily the best song, but the best opening. I think Spirit of Radio is the best closer. Just MHO.

Dreamline out of the ones mentioned. Its one of those songs that builds up and then goes nuts.

I would love to see them use Between The Wheels as an opener someday. Just think, dark stage and all of a sudden that synth riff...

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Nov 10 2004, 05:32 PM)
QUOTE (Snowdog @ Nov 10 2004, 10:02 PM)
2112 Overture/Syrinx was the best opener  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif of course that was back in the day  tongue.gif

I agree with you there.

However, out of the one's given, I plumped for Big Money.

Am I showing my age there Slaine? biggrin.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Nov 10 2004, 04:56 PM)
I went with TSOR...everyone knows they're going to play it, and of course it's a great song. I agree with DM...gets the crowd going!

I totally agree, not only does it get the audience going but it gets them in the exact right frame of mind too...."Begin the day with a friendly voice a companion unobtrusive, plays that song thats so elucive and the magic music makes your morning mood...." How can you not get riled up and completely stoked to be seein 2.gif when you hear those opening lyrics! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Nov 10 2004, 09:09 PM)
I went with Tom Sawyer just because I love it in RIR when the guys come in heavy toward the beginning and that person clasped thier hands and looks up to heaven and says THANK YOU GOD.

Like giving starving people filet mignon....haha love it yes.gif

Yeah man. Tom Sawyer was a sweet opening for Rush In Rio. I think a ton of people in Brazil are obsessed with that song, so that's why they chose it. Not 100% sure though. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I went with Tom Sawyer just because I love it in RIR when the guys come in heavy toward the beginning and that person clasped thier hands and looks up to heaven and says THANK YOU GOD.

Like giving starving people filet mignon....haha love it  yes.gif

I went with Tom Sawyer too. I really, REALLY love Dreamline as an opener. But I can't help remembering when my buddy and I went to the VT show, and the lights went down... the 3 stooges song played... and the band hit the stage. At that very moment the thought went through my mind that OMG I'm at a RUSH show. There is nothing I look forward to more than this!! Everything I wait for..... is NOW..... and BOOM. Tom Sawyer!

To me... opening with Tom Sawyer is such a show of confidence. I mean think about it. It's arguably their most well known song. And to play it FIRST. It just tells me that they don't have to rely on it. They have SO much to pummel the audience with throughout the evening.

It totally set the stage for one helluva concert. My buddy looked at me at the end of the song and said..... "That's all I needed to see. Everything from this point on is gravy." And I yelled... "F*CK YEAH!"

2.gif AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif 2.gif

Like giving starving people filet mignon....haha love it yes.gif

Good point. I love that too because I have done some version of the same "thank heavens above" when the show started and really identify with that shot. Way cool.

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Nov 10 2004, 09:11 PM)

Like giving starving people filet mignon....haha love it  yes.gif

Yeah man. Tom Sawyer was a sweet opening for Rush In Rio. I think a ton of people in Brazil are obsessed with that song, so that's why they chose it. Not 100% sure though. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Actually that was their opener for the whole VT tour, not just Brazil.

Archived