Just Finished Traveling Music

Snowdog

Overall, liked it better than GR. Gives you more "background" on the Professors youth and is overall more autobiographical. While GR focused on his "recovery", TM is more of a reminiscing about his life in general and the music that has shaped it. As private a guy as NEP is, it is nice for him to let us into his "inner sanctum" this way.

As I said, if you're a fan, it's worth the read.

QUOTE (The Analog Snowdog @ Aug 26 2004, 07:51 PM)
Overall, liked it better than GR. Gives you more "background" on the Professors youth and is overall more autobiographical. While GR focused on his "recovery", TM is more of a reminiscing about his life in general and the music that has shaped it. As private a guy as NEP is, it is nice for him to let us into his "inner sanctum" this way.

He also hints at a book coming soley about touring experiences, etc!

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Aug 26 2004, 07:02 PM)
QUOTE (The Analog Snowdog @ Aug 26 2004, 07:51 PM)

He also hints at a book coming soley about touring experiences, etc!

Yeah, ain't that cool! I'm already anticipating it!

Edit: ok I had to edit my post just to stick in a BSG smilie that is too cool! bsg.gif

Edited by The Analog Snowdog

I loved Traveling Music.. thought the end was much different then I anticipated but that is ok... I haven't and won't post much about it cause I know many people haven't finished it yet but I thought it was very good and I like or have listened to much of the Music Neil mentions so I thought it was cool especially being in a different generation and hearing the way he felt about the music when it was fresh etc etc.. And how he reflects on it... As many here know I love a huge variety of music and in my life I have taken breaks from some music even Rush when I probably didn't put in a Rush CD for 3-4 yrs. I still loved them and would listen if they were on the radio or whatever but I was just exploring other things.. I really appreciated when Neil spoke of the various artists, things he liked, disliked, etc.. For anyone who didn't get the book you should pick it up..

This was my least favorite of the books. Though I really enjoyed reading about his youth and the times of his life, I didnt like the music. I know, I know thats what the book is about. There were just to many bands listed that I didnt like, even hate. I found myself just getting through those parts. There were a few that I like but the majority I didnt. I have known for sometime that Neil and I have have vastly differant taste in music so I halfway knew what to expect. Thankfully I really enjoyed reading about his life so it did somewhat overshadow my thoughts on the music.

I read it last year and am getting ready to re-read it. It is so much different than GR, but that's to be expected - GR was more cathartic. I loved the autobiographical parts and the bits he spilled about Ged and Alex. Like how Alex does his solos and Neil's reaction to the Florida incident ( angry.gif ). But the story that stuck with me was the one about how Schopenhauer saved his life (you'll just have to read it). Workin' them angels, indeed! ohmy.gif

In this book, Neil really lets us in on his past. The music is just icing on the cake for me.