Favourite Instrumental

Slaine mac Roth

Which is your favourite Rush instrumental?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favourite Rush instrumental?

• La Villa Strangiato
    • YYZ
    • Where's My Thing?
    • Leave That Thing Alone
    • Limbo

Straightforward question.

I've omitted the two 2112 tracks because a) they do actually contain some lyrics (I know Limbo does but that's a different kettle of Fish) and

cool.gif I look upon Overture and Grand Finale as being parts of a whole - at least for the purposes of this poll.

Anyway, my favourite has got to be La Villa Strangiato. It virtuoso playing at its pinnacle

GeddyFinal.gif + AlexFinal.gif + NeilFinal.gif = biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Nov 9 2004, 01:45 PM)
Have to go with LTTA. I think it is probbaly the best instrumental they have ever written.

I totally agree! Gets my vote.

ok - they are ALL amazing and for various reasons. Had to go with LTTA, though. As a repeat play, it just has a feel and groove to it that tops the others. It all came together on this one, IMO.

"La Villa Stangiato" (minus Alex's mumblings wacko.gif ) from my favourite album (..just ahead of GUP). Ironically, I do prefer "Where's my Thing" to LTTA...but this is the beauty of Rush, so many different types of songs/tunes to suit everyone's taste...

AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Nov 9 2004, 01:53 PM)
"La Villa Stangiato" (minus Alex's mumblings wacko.gif ) from my favourite album (..just ahead of GUP). Ironically, I do prefer "Where's my Thing" to LTTA...but this is the beauty of Rush, so many different types of songs/tunes to suit everyone's taste...

AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif

Agreed!! There are no wrong answers, here. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (BSG @ Nov 9 2004, 01:58 PM)
LTTA is probably their funkiest, and LaVilla is awesome, of course, but my vote is for Why-Why-Zed.......... just because.

Y? Because Y is not a YYZ. Groan sarcasm.gif

La Villa Strangiato it is!! bekloppt.gif LTTA just gives me headache, to high tones in it, not for high volume play new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

I remember Alex saying in an intervju way back that he didn't think he would be able to play the song live (after it was recorded in studio) but it was no problem at all. -They can wake me up in the middle of the night....... (he sad)

AlexFinal.gif

ph34r.gif makes me think of Chronicles DVD LOL.gif

La Villa is one of the great songs ever written (and played)

AlexFinal.gif 1st solo is cool because it climaxes and then comes back down to that cool time signature change part.

and AlexFinal.gif 2nd solo is cool cause its seem he is in a different key than GeddyFinal.gif A

ll the while NeilFinal.gif kicken some serious moon.gif

There. there is my scientific explanation as to why LVS is Most Excellent.

Plus if you play it really loud is makes monsters go away. YYZ just makes airplanes crash into your house angel.gif

Edited by My_Shrimp_Cot
  • Like 1

The definatly have some incredible instrumentals. La Villa is either a guitar players wet dream or his worst nightmare. And YYZ is just one complex masterpeice of outstanding work. But personally, Leave That Thing Alone is what I have to vote for. I just love the bass bits in it and the improvised ending during live performances is just phenominal.

Wow, didn't realise LTTA is so popular on this forum! Suits me fine as I really like it, as well. Still, it doesn't beat La Villa in my books, a composition that is mesmerizing and rocking at the same time...just phenomenal.

If it wasn't so late (Finnish time), I would put it on right now...!

you need an "all of the above" option.. laugh.gif

Too hard to choose between LaVilla and YYZ... Both incredible in their own ways. Both live classics.

I choose YYZ today, but tomorrow it might be different.

QUOTE (Proggy @ Nov 9 2004, 03:36 PM)
Wow, didn't realise LTTA is so popular on this forum! Suits me fine as I really like it, as well. Still, it doesn't beat La Villa in my books, a composition that is mesmerizing and rocking at the same time...just phenomenal.

If it wasn't so late (Finnish time), I would put it on right now...!

Its absolutely incredible yes.gif. Behind Signals, Counterparts is my favorite Rush album thanks in no small part to LTTA.

BTW, good choice D-13 for the 1992 Grammy nominee for best rock instrumental biggrin.gif

Edited by Moonraker

I'll go with LTTA on this one. It just seems to be the one that I go back to the most.

Maybe because it's the "freshest" other than Limbo. However, I think they are all on par except maybe for Limbo which IMHO does not measure up to the others.