Trivial Trivia

My_Shrimp_Cot

The Mandelbrot set is a pattern formed by an extremely simple mathematical transformation z --> z2 + c (z maps to z squared + c). Apparently, this simple transformation when repeated using the transformed number on a complex plane (i.e. using complex numbers), gives us the blob like the one on the Rush T-Shirts.....as you magnify areas of the 'blob', the pattern gets increasingly more complicated.

Don't ask me anything more ph34r.gif , I'm dumbfounded myself. I just have a book on it thats all. unsure.gif

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Nov 9 2004, 03:35 PM)
The Mandelbrot set is a pattern formed by an extremely simple mathematical transformation z --> z2 + c (z maps to z squared + c). Apparently, this simple transformation when repeated using the transformed number on a complex plane (i.e. using complex numbers), gives us the blob like the one on the Rush T-Shirts.....as you magnify areas of the 'blob', the pattern gets increasingly more complicated.

Don't ask me anything more ph34r.gif , I'm dumbfounded myself. I just have a book on it thats all. unsure.gif

My cat's breath smells like cat food.... laugh.gif

Yay....BTW it's under the disk on Test for Echo too.

I know I'm a geek.

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Nov 9 2004, 03:51 PM)

Yay....BTW it's under the disk on Test for Echo too.

I know I'm a geek.

Geek or not, you win the award hands down for best membername. Shrimp Cot - just awesome!! icon_really_happy_guy.gif I watched that segment last Friday night after many drinks and I was rolling!!!! Repeated it like four times. laugh.gif

trink38.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Nov 9 2004, 12:37 PM)
What is the Mandelbrot Set and what does it have to do with  2.gif ??

Oops...that's 2 questions.. wacko.gif

waffen093.gif No Cheating, googling or asking smart people!  ph34r.gif

To drink the milk of pair o' dice trink39.gif

This is all very intriguing, but I'm beginning to wonder if I killed a few brain cells during last Friday's RIR party. oops.gif

I always thought the T4E picture was a snowflake laugh.gif (how would I know, I live in Phoenix.)

Which tshirt are you talking about? This one?

http://usera.imagecave.com/RolindaBonz/tshirt.jpg

A clarification (I hope)

The mandelbrot set, (the black blob below) represents all the complex numbers that DO NOT fly away to infinity when you square them (times them by themselves) and add the result to the previous number and do that over and over again.

The Mandelbrot set in TFE is turned sideways and squished a little.

http://usera.imagecave.com/cscott65/large-small.jpg

When you zoom in on edge to see what it looks like you get endless complicated behavior.

http://usera.imagecave.com/cscott65/favorite2.jpg

Bunch of 'Googlers'...........................lol!!

Isn't the internet great? wink.gif

My question to all of you...

What is the 'Vandalay' theory associated with?? And who/what does it describe?

Anyone....??

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Nov 10 2004, 09:00 AM)
A clarification (I hope)

The mandelbrot set, (the black blob below) represents all the complex numbers that DO NOT fly away to infinity when you square them (times them by themselves) and add the result to the previous number and do that over and over again.

The Mandelbrot set in TFE is turned sideways and squished a little.

http://usera.imagecave.com/cscott65/large-small.jpg

When you zoom in on edge to see what it looks like you get endless complicated behavior.

http://usera.imagecave.com/cscott65/favorite2.jpg

Oh? *still hasn't got a clue*

What's it for? and why (would you guess) Rush chose to use it on T4E?

What's it for??

Nobody knows..It just "is"

Someone put into computer a very simple program with complex numbers and that thing showed up....unexpectedly.

It birthed "chaos theory"....Like that guy from Jurassic Park kept going on and an about...

It has to do with chance and luck, which is a pretty strong theme in Rush's Music.

And it's just a cool, geeky math thing....

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Nov 22 2004, 10:12 PM)
Ok, thought i'd ask, anyway...you seem to know an awful lot...specially for a puppy.

Does anyone know?

anyone....anyone....

It's not a quiz. I'm wondering mysnelf.

Woot! I get to be smart 653.gif 653.gif

Ok, that spot is making me thirsty for a certain lemon-lime drink right about now smile.gif

Because It's used to make fractal art, all those groovy light shows....

edit due to spelling error...

And one of there CD's forget which if you put it in the Disk drive of your pc it will down load a fractal program for you.

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Nov 15 2004, 12:01 AM)
What's it for??

Nobody knows..It just "is"

Someone put into computer a very simple program with complex numbers and that thing showed up....unexpectedly.

It birthed "chaos theory"....Like that guy from Jurassic Park kept going on and an about...

It has to do with chance and luck, which is a pretty strong theme in Rush's Music.

And it's just a cool, geeky math thing....

And String Theory too. Which helped create a movie

Archived