Keyboard / Synth Thread

limeloaf

QUOTE (Snowman @ Dec 26 2006, 01:48 AM)
QUOTE (Ru5h F@n @ Dec 23 2006, 06:35 PM)
QUOTE (Snowman @ Dec 22 2006, 10:41 AM)
I only got 1 keyboard, the Korg Triton Extreme. Which is extreme in all ways!  ph34r.gif

I would like to have the Nord Electro stagepiano and the Yamaha Motif, and Alesis Andromeda, and Minimoog Voyager........ fists crying.gif

Oh I never heard of the Extreme. What's that like? Is that a new or old one? unsure.gif

It is the latest (and the last (I think)) addition to the Triton series. It is (As it states on the keyboard): It's everything Triton taken to the the extreme!

The whole ROM from the Studio edition, plus a couple of hundred new programs. In total 1344 programs and 1280 combinations. I have also the MOSS card, so I have a few additional program/combinations. 1022.gif

It has also a tube-driven Valve Force circuitry that can be used as an insert effect or on the final outputs, adding just the right amount of warmth or snarl to your sound. It is mega cool, and I think Korg are the first to have this (dont know if its going to be a hit or not). 1022.gif

Here's a link to Korg's homepage:

My Webpage

Here's a pic of the monster (the Valve Force are the blue bulb up in the left corner):

http://www.sound1.no/images/product_images_big/korg_triton_extreme.jpg

common001.gif

Wow. That's different. unsure.gif

I am VERY happy with it! I read on Korg's homepage My Webpage that if you order it now you get the MOSS card for free. The Moss card costs approx USD 500-600.

Here's a synth for Ya:

http://images.music123.com/products/original/Alesis/60923.jpg

The Alesis Andromeda!

What about this, the new Korg Oasys (costs about USD 12.000 in Norway angry.gif )

http://www.sound1.no/images/product_images_big/korg_oasys_studio.jpg

When I win the lottery someday... unsure.gif

QUOTE (Snowman @ Dec 29 2006, 09:27 AM)
I am VERY happy with it! I read on Korg's homepage My Webpage that if you order it now you get the MOSS card for free. The Moss card costs approx USD 500-600.

Here's a synth for Ya:

http://images.music123.com/products/original/Alesis/60923.jpg

The Alesis Andromeda!

What about this, the new Korg Oasys (costs about USD 12.000 in Norway angry.gif )

http://www.sound1.no/images/product_images_big/korg_oasys_studio.jpg

When I win the lottery someday... unsure.gif

Ya. I've heard of the Oasys. unsure.gif

I just bought an Alesis Fusion 6HD biggrin.gif .

It was relatively cheap and it is such an amazing board, i've been able to coax some pretty amazing stuff out of this thing.

I really would like a Stage Piano and a 'hands-on' synth (again, I sold my SH-32 a few months ago) I wouldn't mind an Andromeda but thats way out of my price range.

I fully recommend the Fusion however and I got mine for around 1050$ CDN after duty and taxes (USED).

FULLY recommended.

This Oasys looks very different in that picture than the one sold in Canadian or US stores.

The Oasys here is in two pieces (ie. The Brain and then the master controller) and is completely silver all over and dosen't have that CD-drive and also dosen't look as cool!

It does sound very good though but it isn't what I want to use to add to my palette laugh.gif .

Yes, it looks extremely cool. ph34r.gif

http://images.music123.com/products/original/Alesis/225599.jpg

I would like to try Alesis, but I never buy anything not tested. Sadly, it is very rare to find Alesis in musicshops in Oslo. It is all about Korg, Roland, Yamaha, Clavia.

Have you tried the Korg Radias? It looks and sounds rather special:

http://images.music123.com/products/original/Korg/425052.jpg

Well, you can get a couple of newer KORG models for a better price nowadays. I saw a Korg Triton LE (the lightversion of Triton) for Nok 5000 at musikkweb.no. Korg Karma goes for around 7-8.000. Jordan Rudess used or still use Korg Karma.

QUOTE (Snowman @ Jan 14 2007, 12:52 AM)
Well, you can get a couple of newer KORG models for a better price nowadays. I saw a Korg Triton LE (the lightversion of Triton) for Nok 5000 at musikkweb.no. Korg Karma goes for around 7-8.000. Jordan Rudess used or still use Korg Karma.

thank you for your info snowman! 1022.gif

Have you tried the Korg Radias? It looks and sounds rather special:

http://images.music123.com/products/original/Korg/425052.jpg

I have played the Korg Radius at a music store. It is much different than the software ones I've played with on the computer. It was special for me though because it was the first real analog I could use. It looked pretty promising. Once again, I want a Minimoog most.

Edited by jrdrummer

Thanks to the turn on of the guru. I'm playing a roland xp 50 korg triton extreme 61 and a roland sh-09 crate amplification and ev wireless mic. Local cover band in nj

OK, guys, here's the deal:

I had an earlier post in this thread which said that I used to play piano, which I did, and I still occasionally "mess around" with it, I have a Yamaha PSR-70 keyboard.

I have a few questions to ask, first of all, I've been thinking about "getting back into" piano playing, but I'm also very fond of different sounds, such as the MiniMoog and the Hammond organ. I really love how the Hammond organ sounds. Now obviously, buying the Hammond B-3 or C-3 would cost me a fortune and I really don't have that kind of money anyway. So I'm asking any and all of you who are experienced keyboardists, are there any cheap, or at least somewhat reasonable prices for keyboards which feature voices for piano, Hammond organ, AND some synth voices? Are there different types of keyboards which feature just these voices, and I also need some good retailers too, because I don't believe there are any keyboard shops near me.

Also, if any of you know some good sites which feature good insight on synthesizers, please direct me to some links, because I'd like to find out more about how synths work and the whole "knob-turning" aspect of it.

I realize I have rambled a bit with this post, but I need some help. Also, I really should brush up on music theory, I'm taking a class on it starting in September of this year when I become a junior. I can figure out where the notes are on the keyboard, but I have absolutely no clue or rememberance as to what chords and such are.

Roland makes some weighted key "pianos" that have organ sounds on them, but not much in the way of synths and they are not real cheap. Anything with weighted keys is going to cost. You can go a bit cheaper with a decent keyboard controller from a company like M-Audio or Korg and connect via USB to a computer and use a softsynth like Reason which has a lot of stuff for the price. They just released a nice piano ReFill package for a multitude of piano tones around a recording studio. They also have all kinds of Moog and Hammond tones. Reason is a great "kitchen sink" synth and sampler solution.

I also like Native Instruments' B-4 plugin which is a nice Hammond sound alike. Very convincing. Also the Pro-Five again by NI is a quality analog style softsynth that can replicate many Moog and Oberheim sounds.

@ Cygnus: I am very interested in learning more about softsynths. Do you know where I can read more about it? It is the future, at least for non analog freaks. I have an Korg Extreme and I am quite satisfied with it, but together with the "suitcase" (dont know the english word) it weighs in around 26 KG and it is hell to travel with it, despite that the "suitcase" has wheels. The prospect of dealing with a laptop and a midikeyboard seems very sensible to me.

@ Rush!: The best hammond sound I have hear from a non Hammond organ are Clavias Nord Stage. It has extremely good resemblance to some dirty B3 hammondsounds. The Stagepiano is divided in 3 parts; Organ, Piano and Synth. On the synth part you get some fairly good lead sounds. Maybe not Moog, but good enough to get my backhairs rising. You can read more about this on: www.clavia.se Unfortunately, it is not cheap. The price for an 88 is approx $ 3500-4000. A 76 will be cheaper. Then you get semi-weighed keys.

QUOTE (Snowman @ Apr 15 2007, 02:02 AM)
@ Cygnus: I am very interested in learning more about softsynths. Do you know where I can read more about it? It is the future, at least for non analog freaks. I have an Korg Extreme and I am quite satisfied with it, but together with the "suitcase" (dont know the english word) it weighs in around 26 KG and it is hell to travel with it, despite that the "suitcase" has wheels. The prospect of dealing with a laptop and a midikeyboard seems very sensible to me.

@ Rush!: The best hammond sound I have hear from a non Hammond organ are Clavias Nord Stage. It has extremely good resemblance to some dirty B3 hammondsounds. The Stagepiano is divided in 3 parts; Organ, Piano and Synth. On the synth part you get some fairly good lead sounds. Maybe not Moog, but good enough to get my backhairs rising. You can read more about this on: www.clavia.se Unfortunately, it is not cheap. The price for an 88 is approx $ 3500-4000. A 76 will be cheaper. Then you get semi-weighed keys.

Hi guys, I have a really really cheap keyboard I pulled out of the cupboard and I would like to learn how to play, and eventually a few Rush songs, but I haven't a clue where to start. Of course , as soon as, if, i start to get good then I will spend some money on a decent setup.

Where would be the best place for someone with a basic amount of music knowledge to start?

Instructional DVDs are a good place to start. Go to your local music store and they should be able to help you.