jrdrummer

The Seeker

• Members *
  • 163 posts
  • Interests:Bass guitar, Drums, music, computer games

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:29 PM

Have you tried the Korg Radias? It looks and sounds rather special:

user posted image

I have played the Korg Radius at a music store. It is much different than the software ones I've played with on the computer. It was special for me though because it was the first real analog I could use. It looked pretty promising. Once again, I want a Minimoog most.

Edited by jrdrummer, 21 February 2007 - 10:30 PM.

Sponsored Post

#42 hartmanm

hartmanm

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:My family (wife and three kids) ,my dog LIMBO, my music (I'm in a local cover band), and my Softail Custom.

Posted 14 April 2007 - 07:52 PM

Thanks to the turn on of the guru.  I'm playing a roland xp 50 korg triton extreme 61 and a roland sh-09 crate amplification and ev wireless mic.  Local cover band in nj

#43 Rush!

Rush!

Avant Gardener

• Members *
  • 10226 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 08:41 PM

OK, guys, here's the deal:

I had an earlier post in this thread which said that I used to play piano, which I did, and I still occasionally "mess around" with it, I have a Yamaha PSR-70 keyboard.

I have a few questions to ask, first of all, I've been thinking about "getting back into" piano playing, but I'm also very fond of different sounds, such as the MiniMoog and the Hammond organ. I really love how the Hammond organ sounds. Now obviously, buying the Hammond B-3 or C-3 would cost me a fortune and I really don't have that kind of money anyway. So I'm asking any and all of you who are experienced keyboardists, are there any cheap, or at least somewhat reasonable prices for keyboards which feature voices for piano, Hammond organ, AND some synth voices? Are there different types of keyboards which feature just these voices, and I also need some good retailers too, because I don't believe there are any keyboard shops near me.

Also, if any of you know some good sites which feature good insight on synthesizers, please direct me to some links, because I'd like to find out more about how synths work and the whole "knob-turning" aspect of it.

I realize I have rambled a bit with this post, but I need some help. Also, I really should brush up on music theory, I'm taking a class on it starting in September of this year when I become a junior. I can figure out where the notes are on the keyboard, but I have absolutely no clue or rememberance as to what chords and such are.  

#44 CygnusX-1Bk2

CygnusX-1Bk2

Certified Verbal Ass Kicker

• 3774 posts
  • Interests:Sound Design & Effects for games and picture (my main gig). Music (sometimes more than a hobby, it's paid the bills at times).
    Sound recording, which is also my job.
    Baseball.

Posted 15 April 2007 - 02:07 AM

Roland makes some weighted key "pianos" that have organ sounds on them, but not much in the way of synths and they are not real cheap. Anything with weighted keys is going to cost. You can go a bit cheaper with a decent keyboard controller from a company like M-Audio or Korg and connect via USB to a computer and use a softsynth like Reason which has a lot of stuff for the price. They just released a nice piano ReFill package for a multitude of piano tones around a recording studio. They also have all kinds of Moog and Hammond tones. Reason is a great "kitchen sink" synth and sampler solution.
I also like Native Instruments' B-4 plugin which is a nice Hammond sound alike. Very convincing. Also the Pro-Five again by NI is a quality analog style softsynth that can replicate many Moog and Oberheim sounds.

#45 Snowman

Snowman

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1071 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 04:02 AM

@ Cygnus: I am very interested in learning more about softsynths. Do you know where I can read more about it? It is the future, at least for non analog freaks. I have an Korg Extreme and I am quite satisfied with it, but together with the "suitcase" (dont know the english word) it weighs in around 26 KG and it is hell to travel with it, despite that the "suitcase" has wheels. The prospect of dealing with a laptop and a midikeyboard seems very sensible to me.

@ Rush!: The best hammond sound I have hear from a non Hammond organ are Clavias Nord Stage. It has extremely good resemblance to some dirty B3 hammondsounds. The Stagepiano is divided in 3 parts; Organ, Piano and Synth. On the synth part you get some fairly good lead sounds. Maybe not Moog, but good enough to get my backhairs rising. You can read more about this on: www.clavia.se  Unfortunately, it is not cheap. The price for an 88 is approx $ 3500-4000. A 76 will be cheaper. Then you get semi-weighed keys.

#46 Rush!

Rush!

Avant Gardener

• Members *
  • 10226 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 10:32 AM

Thanks Cyg and Snowman, I appreciate the help guys. trink39.gif smile.gif  

#47 CygnusX-1Bk2

CygnusX-1Bk2

• 3774 posts
  • Interests:Sound Design & Effects for games and picture (my main gig). Music (sometimes more than a hobby, it's paid the bills at times).
    Baseball.

Posted 15 April 2007 - 02:46 PM

QUOTE (Snowman @ Apr 15 2007, 02:02 AM)
@ Cygnus: I am very interested in learning more about softsynths. Do you know where I can read more about it? It is the future, at least for non analog freaks. I have an Korg Extreme and I am quite satisfied with it, but together with the "suitcase" (dont know the english word) it weighs in around 26 KG and it is hell to travel with it, despite that the "suitcase" has wheels. The prospect of dealing with a laptop and a midikeyboard seems very sensible to me.

@ Rush!: The best hammond sound I have hear from a non Hammond organ are Clavias Nord Stage. It has extremely good resemblance to some dirty B3 hammondsounds. The Stagepiano is divided in 3 parts; Organ, Piano and Synth. On the synth part you get some fairly good lead sounds. Maybe not Moog, but good enough to get my backhairs rising. You can read more about this on: www.clavia.se  Unfortunately, it is not cheap. The price for an 88 is approx $ 3500-4000. A 76 will be cheaper. Then you get semi-weighed keys.

#48 Snowman

Snowman

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1071 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:38 AM

Thanks!  goodpost.gif   cool.gif

#49 timidcapacitor

timidcapacitor

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 11:45 PM

Hi guys, I have a really really cheap keyboard I pulled out of the cupboard and I would like to learn how to play, and eventually a few Rush songs, but I haven't a clue where to start.  Of course , as soon as, if, i start to get good then I will spend some money on a decent setup.

Where would be the best place for someone with a basic amount of music knowledge to start?

#50 CygnusX-1Bk2

CygnusX-1Bk2

• 3774 posts
    Baseball.

Posted 06 May 2007 - 12:55 AM

Instructional DVDs are a good place to start. Go to your local music store and they should be able to help you.  

#51 timidcapacitor

timidcapacitor

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 01:34 AM

Thank you,

I started to play Subdivisions on the tabs from here, its pretty exciting when you play music and it actually sounds like the music you are trying to play hehe http://www.cygnusproductions.com/rtp/keys/keys.asp

#52 Cyberdude

Cyberdude

The Seeker

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 10:07 AM

Rush keyboardist,
My synth of choice: Korg Triton Le
My software sequencer of choice: Ableton Live
enjoy,
Cyberdude
www.cyberdudeproductions.com

Edited by Cyberdude, 10 May 2007 - 10:53 AM.

#53 Cyberdude

Cyberdude

The Seeker

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 10:22 AM

Korg Triton Le
user posted image

Korg RK-100 midi controller
user posted image

"Working them Angels"
user posted image

In the Studio
user posted image

Recent show in Tijuana,Mexico on Revolution Avenue at the Box Underground
user posted image

Cyberdude Production website
User posted image

#54 Cyberdude

Cyberdude

The Seeker

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 11:48 AM

QUOTE (jrdrummer @ Feb 21 2007, 10:29 PM)

user posted image

I have played the Korg Radius at a music store. It is much different than the software ones I've played with on the computer. It was special for me though because it was the first real analog I could use. It looked pretty promising. Once again, I want a Minimoog most.

Excellent choice!
The Korg Radias is a fantastic synth.
Checkout the demo videos on YouTube.
Use it with AbletonLive and your set.

I own a Korg Triton Le with plans for a Radias soon.

Here are some pics you may enjoy...

me and my Korg Triton Le
user posted image

me "working them angels"
user posted image

me and my Korg RK-100 midi controller
user posted image

me in the studio with my laptop and Ableton Live
user posted image

me in Tijuana, Mexico at the Box Underground
user posted image

me and my website
User posted image

#55 Cyberdude

Cyberdude

The Seeker

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 12:08 PM

QUOTE (jrdrummer @ Feb 21 2007, 10:29 PM)

user posted image

Here's another look at the Korg Triton Le in my studio.
User posted image

#56 Snowman

Snowman

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1071 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 12:23 PM

Cool! smile.gif

#57 Cyberdude

Cyberdude

The Seeker

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 05:36 PM

QUOTE (Ru5h F@n @ Dec 21 2006, 08:57 PM)
Who makes the best drum machines out there? The one I had was built in to my keyboard. I'm just kinda curious who makes them and what they're like. unsure.gif

Have you considered Ableton Live (software)?
Cyberdude

"Working them angels!"
user posted image

#58 Cyberdude

Cyberdude

The Seeker

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 04:51 PM

Attention all synth players of the solar federation!
Attention all synth players of the solar federation!
You can assume control!
You can assume control!
With the help from Laplace.

It gives me great pleasure to introduce two good freinds an excellent musicians from south of the border, Dante Saavedra and Fabian Torres.

User posted image

User posted image

For all you young aspiring keyboards players out there, here are of a couple of season veterans to help answer your technical and creative questions.

There huge RUSH fans, so you know there cool.

You can hear samples of their awesome sound at www.laplace.com.mx .

Also, Cyberdude will be appearing live with Laplace at BABY ROCK's Tijuana May 18th.

user posted image

enjoy,
Cyberdude

#59 Cyberdude

Cyberdude

The Seeker

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 05:07 PM

My favorite pic of Geddy Lee with his keyboard arsenal!

User posted image

enjoy,
Cyberdude

#60 Cyberdude

Cyberdude

The Seeker

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 05:15 PM

Block Diagram of Analog Synthesizer

user posted image

So you want to build/play/understand Analog Synthesizers?
Here is an excellent reference source of information from MIT. http://web.mit.edu/klund/www/weblatex/node2.html

enjoy,
Cyberdude

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users