Keyboard / Synth Thread

limeloaf

^ Very impressive. I've been lusting after a D-50 for a while now. And an Odyssey? Beautiful. Nice collection of Hammonds too.

Speaking of organs, I ended up with an old, beaten-up Farfisa Combo Compact recently. Very similar to the keyboards used by Richard Wright on the early Floyd albums. Sounds incredible through a few guitar stompboxes and a JC120. But I'd love to get a Hammond+Leslie rig or at least a decent emulator someday.

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Jul 18 2011, 08:15 PM)
^ Very impressive. I've been lusting after a D-50 for a while now. And an Odyssey? Beautiful. Nice collection of Hammonds too.

Speaking of organs, I ended up with an old, beaten-up Farfisa Combo Compact recently. Very similar to the keyboards used by Richard Wright on the early Floyd albums. Sounds incredible through a few guitar stompboxes and a JC120. But I'd love to get a Hammond+Leslie rig or at least a decent emulator someday.

Love the Farcheeza! I haven't got one of those yet, though I had some chances to play them over the years. Very fun. If you're patient and watch Criags List someone will give you a Hammond. You will need a way to move it, but if you plan ahead and jump on it when it comes along it'll fall in your lap. I've been given many.

No One will give you a B3 but an A100 series is the same organ, and that they will give you. A leslie is harder, but I've bought two for under $50 each.

QUOTE (how it ought to be @ Jul 18 2011, 10:12 PM)
QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Jul 18 2011, 08:15 PM)

Love the Farcheeza! I haven't got one of those yet, though I had some chances to play them over the years. Very fun. If you're patient and watch Criags List someone will give you a Hammond. You will need a way to move it, but if you plan ahead and jump on it when it comes along it'll fall in your lap. I've been given many.

No One will give you a B3 but an A100 series is the same organ, and that they will give you. A leslie is harder, but I've bought two for under $50 each.

Yeah, I've seen a few of them show up on Craigslist for super cheap...the main issue is space though. It's pretty tight right now. The Farfisa is doing double duty as a DX7 stand to save room, and I'm not entirely convinced it's up to the task. Besides that I'd kind of like to get an organ I can gig with, so I might end up just saving up for a Nord Electro or Hammond XK-series emulator.

To be honest though, an organ is kind of far down the list of priorities for me...I need to get set up with a ProTools rig first, and then I'd like to get a good analog synth to (at least partially) replace my Alesis Micron. ProTools comes with a decent Hammond plugin, so between that and the Farfisa I should be okay for at least a little while.

QUOTE (The_Necromancer_77 @ Jul 22 2011, 01:06 PM)
Right now I have a cheap keyboard, but I'd like a nicer one. Problem is, I don't have much money to spend. Anyone know of a nice keyboard that isn't too expensive?

-What kind of sounds are you looking for?

-What other features do you want/need?

-What's your budget?

-New or used?

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Jul 22 2011, 02:21 PM)
Right now I have a cheap keyboard, but I'd like a nicer one. Problem is, I don't have much money to spend. Anyone know of a nice keyboard that isn't too expensive?

-What's your budget?

-New or used?

Shoot, forgive me, I'm not very technical about this kind of thing. I started playing piano over a year ago, and I would like something with just a nice grand piano & electric piano tone. I don't really care much about any other sounds. I'd also like the keys to be pressure sensitive? Does that make sense? (Like if you press lighter it's more quiet.)

New would be nice. also I can probably afford like 250 dollars or less.

QUOTE (The_Necromancer_77 @ Jul 22 2011, 03:51 PM)
QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Jul 22 2011, 02:21 PM)

-What's your budget?

-New or used?

Shoot, forgive me, I'm not very technical about this kind of thing. I started playing piano over a year ago, and I would like something with just a nice grand piano & electric piano tone. I don't really care much about any other sounds. I'd also like the keys to be pressure sensitive? Does that make sense? (Like if you press lighter it's more quiet.)

New would be nice. also I can probably afford like 250 dollars or less.

Don't worry about it. I didn't mean to come off so bluntly, my apologies.

I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to portable electronic pianos, I'm a bit more of a synth guy...hopefully someone else can help you out.

QUOTE (The_Necromancer_77 @ Jul 22 2011, 04:06 PM)

A Novation MKII midi controller, Ableton Live, some VST's and your set.

Hi. I'm a gear whore. I admit it. These are some of my favorites that I use the most.

Modern Midi:

Yamaha Motif XS8 & XF7

Nord Stage 2 (Exit Nord Stage Left)

Nord Wave

Korg Oasys

Continuum Fingerboard

Eigenharp Alpha

Kawai MP8

plus various others

Music Software:

Sonik Synth 2

Miroslav Philharmonik

SampleTron

SampleMoog

SampleTank & Xpansion Tank 2 libraries

Infinite Workstation for Kontakt

Neil Peart Drums for Kontakt

Drum Masters, Cinema Sessions, FX Tron, EpiK DrumS... for Kontakt

plus others

Vintage/Analog Keys:

Oberheim 8 Voice

Yamaha CP70

Prophet 5

Moog Minimoog

Arp ProSoloist

Arp 2600

Wurlitzer 200A

Rhodes Mk2

Clavinet

Mellotron

RMI EP

Hammond B3

EMS Synthi

Roland VP330

Here's a pic of some. If you want to see more let me know. I'm a gear head. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=195...195898363788091

By the way, I am looking for an Oberheim OBX. Used to have one and want to get a 6 or 8 voice OBX again. Love that synth. The Oberheim SEMS are sweet too. I have one that has an additional Prophet filter in it. Really rare and beautiful analog sound.

Edited by Squids

It's an absurd over the top list. My excuse is that I run a sampling company (Sonic Reality) and we needed the vintage keyboards to sample and the digital keys and software are the products we did the samples for. That's part of it... the other part of it is that I love keyboards and each one has a story and a role to play.

Better than just pictures there's actually a whole studio tour I posted on my band page. I can post the link here if you want to see it or you can just follow the link in my sig.

Edited by Squids

QUOTE (Squids @ Aug 15 2011, 10:08 AM)
It's an absurd over the top list. My excuse is that I run a sampling company (Sonic Reality) and we needed the vintage keyboards to sample and the digital keys and software are the products we did the samples for. That's part of it... the other part of it is that I love keyboards and each one has a story and a role to play.

Better than just pictures there's actually a whole studio tour I posted on my band page. I can post the link here if you want to see it or you can just follow the link in my sig.

Awesome. That is a great way to build up a vintage synth collection. Nice to see you here.

QUOTE (Squids @ Aug 15 2011, 10:08 AM)

Dave I knew it was you wink.gif . That Sonic Reality is the shizzle!

Here's my rinky dink rig:

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/182919_1434813729177_1797981439_813626_1532349_n.jpg

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/182919_1434813689176_1797981439_813625_4216055_n.jpg

I have a bunch of Sonic Reality Refills for Reason. The ones I use most are Synths 1 & 2 as well as Instruments of the 60's & 70's.

I'll share this here.

For the past three years, I've only seen Jen Johannson (of Stratovarius, Yngwie Malmsteen) use a Yamaha dx7.

I'm sure he loads many of his own sounds on it, a lot of the voices it comes with are very silly sounding

"The DX7 synthesizer is definitely the sound of the 80's !!!!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmp9yqhsjqg

^ The DX7 was an incredibly powerful synth, and it's kind of a shame it's mostly known for cheesy EP sounds from 80's ballads. It can produce some freakishly cool noises with some tweaking. That said, it's a bitch to program so it's hard to blame people for just using the presets.

I've got one...they were made and sold in massive quantities, and they were built like tanks, so it's not hard or expensive to find a working one on the used market these days. Native Instruments makes an excellent software emulation, too.

The DX7 was a game changer. I had it's baby brother the DX100 which was half as powerful but still decent enough for some sounds.

^ The DX7 was an incredibly powerful synth, and it's kind of a shame it's mostly known for cheesy EP sounds from 80's ballads. It can produce some freakishly cool noises with some tweaking. That said, it's a bitch to program so it's hard to blame people for just using the presets.

I've got one...they were made and sold in massive quantities, and they were built like tanks, so it's not hard or expensive to find a working one on the used market these days. Native Instruments makes an excellent software emulation, too.

I had a DX7 and then later a DX7 iifd back in the mid 80's. - It was the first synth that you could actually emulate real instruments, such as Oboes, pianos, horns, etc - without the use of sample technology. Just algorithms. Pretty cool tech at the time.

Lots of soft synths I use today, use some form of FM synthesis in one way or another.

Love the Arturia Moog. I gotta get one of those. I'm using Roland PK-5's, an Alesis Micron, and Akai Miniak, and a cheap Yamaha for effects.

Check out this awesome drummer at only 13 years of age! My son does Rush covers and wants only your respect as Rush fans like me. YYZ cover here

Bought a Roland RS-70 on evilbay for $280. Feel like that was a pretty good deal. Not a bad board; presets are okay but a lot of them run together. I also have a cheap Alesis Q49 controller which is kinda redundant now as I prefer to just use the Roland.

Also spent $30 and got the OP-X VST set. Some cool Prophets, Oberheims and Moogs in here. The "Subdivisions" preset is actually pretty close!

Also spent $30 and got the OP-X VST set. Some cool Prophets, Oberheims and Moogs in here. The "Subdivisions" preset is actually pretty close!

I'm using the free OP-X VST. It sounds almost exactly like an Oberheim, but can it do Moog sounds too, like the lead in The Trees?

Hi, can you guys tell me it's possible to connect a USB Midi Controller meant for a laptop to your keyboard that has a USB port and use the controller to augment and change the sounds coming from the keyboard? If you need any information these are the two pieces of technology I'm referring two-

Midi controller- http://www.amazon.co.uk/LPK25-Laptop-USB-Midi-Keyboard-Controller/dp/B006IBZ2W6

Keyboard- http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bentley-4001-Digital-Piano-Keyboard/dp/B00594LNS0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364059268&sr=8-1