Rush Forum questions

daneck

Looking over the list of members, I see a few that I recognize from the hub and RT. Today is my first day here, and in all seriousness, I doubt I'll have time to visit too often (staying in touch with RT is a challenge enough for me).

Now keep in mind that I haven't had time to go through and check out all the messages in all the forums here. However, I'm curious to know the purpose of starting another board. To me at least most of the boards out there already are more of an 'either/or' type choice, with few actually having major motivators to activly participate in multiple boards.

I'm not trying to ruffle feathers or anything like that, so please don't take it that way. I'm just trying to determine where I should focus my attention (mostly between here and RT). My primary board will always be the DRE (no secret there for those that know me), but after several invites to RT I expanded my circle some. Several of you have already heard me say it already, but my motivation over at RT is more of a 'lets get people educated on the vast resources out their to build a collection' (At least to me it's apparent that many of the members of RT have not been exposed to the trade/collection sceen as known in the older, more established boards).

Knowing my own limitations, and that I don't have time to add another board to my daily watch list, I'm going to be presured into deciding which board to monitor. I kind of started a movement over at RT with the weed/vines/tech questions stuff, and would feel bad about leaving that effort until I saw that it was moving in the right direction.

At one point I was considering doing forums on my website, but decided against it. Mostly because we do our chat in the hub, but also because I didn't provide any 'reason' to maintain a board. (Hard enough to keep my trade list updated, so didn't want to add another board to try to stay up to date with).

I guess what I'm asking is what makes this board different and worth maintaining? Is it a 'more elite' core of members? More focus on Rush and trading -vs- politics/sports? New information that won't be available at RT? Competition with or Expantion of another board? RushRevisited doing what he can to help spread the word? What? There is no right or wrong answer I'm looking for, and I can't say that any answer will weigh heavier than another. Just curious is all.

Hey Dan!

I don't want to speak for others.. But there was a reason why some folks wanted to start something new over here and that is why you see a lot of us here. This was not done to create competition, but simply to give some folks a Rush home who otherwise wouldn't have had one.. Sorry for not being more detailed but it is just out of respect for others.. A lot of folks are posting on both boards. I'm still lurking at RT, but I like it over here too.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Aug 26 2004, 04:00 PM)
Hey Dan!

I don't want to speak for others.. But there was a reason why some folks wanted to start something new over here and that is why you see a lot of us here. This was not done to create competition, but simply to give some folks a Rush home who otherwise wouldn't have had one.. Sorry for not being more detailed but it is just out of respect for others.. A lot of folks are posting on both boards. I'm still lurking at RT, but I like it over here too.

yes.gif

Excellent answer, and the "respect for others" i imagine is greatly appreciated. Good post, Earth. trink39.gif

Didn't know we needed a reason to start a board, but there are some reasons.

RushRevisited, like I mentioned in my original posting...not trying to ruffle feathers for anyone at all. You guys see how little I've been present in the hub lately, and that's my home. I like to think that I can offer something to a board, but don't want to stretch myself thin. It doesn't help that unlike the DRE where topics are 'flagged' as NEW, that I need to be careful of when I visit RT (need to make sure I can check ALL new topics while I'm there, or they slip through the cracks on me).

It's About Time!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, it's not like anyone keeps me in the loop on whats going on. heheheheh

Sorry for not being more detailed but it is just out of respect for others

Not a problem at all. I think I get the picture. I'm a firm believer in respecting others, and fully understand people needing a 'home' they are comfortable with.

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Aug 26 2004, 03:15 PM)
Hey Dan!

I don't want to speak for others..  But there was a reason why some folks wanted to start something new over here and that is why you see a lot of us here.  This was not done to create competition, but simply to give some folks a Rush home who otherwise wouldn't have had one..    Sorry for not being more detailed but it is just out of respect for others..    A lot of folks are posting on both boards.  I'm still lurking at RT, but I like it over here too.

yes.gif

Excellent answer, and the "respect for others" i imagine is greatly appreciated. Good post, Earth. trink39.gif

Ditto that. smile.gif

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Aug 26 2004, 03:00 PM)
Hey Dan!

heya Dan, I'm with Earthshine on this boat, though I will continue to hold the clip contests over there for the time being as it will reach more people who would win a boot. I always figured that was the point. Maybe when a few more people find this board, I will move them here.

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Aug 26 2004, 03:15 PM)
Hey Dan!

I don't want to speak for others..  But there was a reason why some folks wanted to start something new over here and that is why you see a lot of us here.  This was not done to create competition, but simply to give some folks a Rush home who otherwise wouldn't have had one..    Sorry for not being more detailed but it is just out of respect for others..    A lot of folks are posting on both boards.  I'm still lurking at RT, but I like it over here too.

yes.gif

yes.gif

I admit I too have been very curious as to the roots of this forum. Who is behind it? How are they funding it? Is it the only one of its kind? Mind you, I have only the best things to say about this place; I'm just an inquisitive person.

So if anyone could fill me in, make believe it's for a research project - something like,

The Rush Forum is the product of the combined effort of [blank] and [blank]...

In 19[xx] [blank] and [blank] were sitting at their local coffee shop, when suddenly bang! they had an epiphany, the result of which became TRF.

Something like that. :)

Thanks.

Maybe there really is some supernatural story behind it.

But then there's no supernature. (When oh when will my 30 days pass so I can see what goes on in the politics forums?)

Ok, see you. :)

The quick answer is that RushRevisited, GhostGirl and 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 are the three who started this forum in August of last year. All three as I understand it had been involved in another forum (www.RT).

My understanding is there was a personal dispute between some people involved in RT which influenced the decision to set up this board, and certainly in the early days (and I'm here from week one), not having been involved in RT made me feel a bit of an outsider. However, many of the RT members continued to post there as well as here, and I'm sure this remains the case.

There are also other boards, chief among them Therushinteractive.net (commonly called "Trinet"), and Counterparts. I was a member of counterparts, and continue to post there from time to time, as do many other members of the board, some under different names, others with the same names and avatars. RR actually posted about the new board over there, many people came over here to have a look, some registered and drop in to say hello from time to time (Hi Trin!!), others like myself made this their first port of call.

What's happened over time is that this board has developed it's own personality, led by the three aforementioned admins, but hugely influenced and tempered by other members, and it's history has, in a sense, become irrelevant. Each board has it's own quirks and foibles, Counterparts, for example, is more "in your face" than TRF and has less rules in terms of language etc.

There are beefs and bitterness between some boards, TRF has managed to stay out of such rows,and will continue to do so. Cross membership and posting is not only tolerated here, it's encouraged (both Julie and Ken who run CP post here, and gatherings in SF have been organised by members of the two boards).

As for funding, there's links to Amazon from The Rush Store icon on the board's front page, and some commission comes from there, and any money made from TRF products sold through the site is ploughed back into it.

Personally, my belief is that RR, GG and 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 have invested amounts of time, effort and money of their own that we will never fully appreciate, and for them, this is a labour of love. One thing you can be sure of, noone's getting paid, and if they ever do turn a profit, it won't amount to 1% of what they deserve.

When push comes to shove, this is a self sustaining community of assorted musos and misfits from several countries, different in a multitude of ways, but united in the belief that the noise made by three guys in their 50s from Canada ranks among the sweetest sounds on earth.

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Apr 1 2005, 10:46 AM)
The quick answer is that RushRevisited, GhostGirl and 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 are the three who started this forum in August of last year. All three as I understand it had been involved in another forum (www.RT).

My understanding is there was a personal dispute between some people involved in RT which influenced the decision to set up this board, and certainly in the early days (and I'm here from week one), not having been involved in RT made me feel a bit of an outsider. However, many of the RT members continued to post there as well as here, and I'm sure this remains the case.

There are also other boards, chief among them Therushinteractive.net (commonly called "Trinet"), and Counterparts. I was a member of counterparts, and continue to post there from time to time, as do many other members of the board, some under different names, others with the same names and avatars. RR actually posted about the new board over there, many people came over here to have a look, some registered and drop in to say hello from time to time (Hi Trin!!), others like myself made this their first port of call.

What's happened over time is that this board has developed it's own personality, led by the three aforementioned admins, but hugely influenced and tempered by other members, and it's history has, in a sense, become irrelevant. Each board has it's own quirks and foibles, Counterparts, for example, is more "in your face" than TRF and has less rules in terms of language etc.

There are beefs and bitterness between some boards, TRF has managed to stay out of such rows,and will continue to do so. Cross membership and posting is not only tolerated here, it's encouraged (both Julie and Ken who run CP post here, and gatherings in SF have been organised by members of the two boards).

As for funding, there's links to Amazon from The Rush Store icon on the board's front page, and some commission comes from there, and any money made from TRF products sold through the site is ploughed back into it.

Personally, my belief is that RR, GG and 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 have invested amounts of time, effort and money of their own that we will never fully appreciate, and for them, this is a labour of love. One thing you can be sure of, noone's getting paid, and if they ever do turn a profit, it won't amount to 1% of what they deserve.

When push comes to shove, this is a self sustaining community of assorted musos and misfits from several countries, different in a multitude of ways, but united in the belief that the noise made by three guys in their 50s from Canada ranks among the sweetest sounds on earth.

Madra, that was very awesome, I couldn't have said it better my self!! The three people that run this board are very awesome, and deserve diamonds and gold! wub.gif

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Apr 1 2005, 07:46 AM)

goodpost.gif (Sign should say DAMN GOOD POST!! -so I added it)

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Apr 1 2005, 08:46 AM)

smile.gif goodpost.gif goodpost.gif

Thanks, madra, and everyone...it's always good to know the family's doing well.

smile.gif

wub.gif

~GG

It's simple. If you post here, the odds that you will get to meet the band one day go up by a factor of 10. I read this in a fortune cookie so it has to be true.

In other news, my crack research team refuses to tell me what 10 times 0 is. It's like they know, but they just won't tell me. Damn them! (shouting to the back room) "I'm uninstalling Doom 3 if I don't get an answer - I mean it this time!"

I was going to make a reasonable post but Earthshine and Madra stole all the good thoughts. Rice!

I'm going back into my cave.

cool.gif

Schro

QUOTE (Schro @ Apr 4 2005, 04:46 PM)
It's simple. If you post here, the odds that you will get to meet the band one day go up by a factor of 10. I read this in a fortune cookie so it has to be true.

In other news, my crack research team refuses to tell me what 10 times 0 is. It's like they know, but they just won't tell me. Damn them! (shouting to the back room) "I'm uninstalling Doom 3 if I don't get an answer - I mean it this time!"

I was going to make a reasonable post but Earthshine and Madra stole all the good thoughts. Rice!

I'm going back into my cave.

cool.gif

Schro

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Schro @ Apr 4 2005, 04:46 PM)
Damn them! (shouting to the back room) "I'm uninstalling Doom 3 if I don't get an answer - I mean it this time!"

The visual here is priceless...I can literally SEE this happening...

icon_really_happy_guy.gif

Schro posts...new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Archived