WORST Rush song EVER

GGOAT!!!

Do you LIKE Neil's more recent lyrics?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Do you LIKE Neil's more recent lyrics?

• 1)Metaphors using *like & *as show his intelligence
    • 2)Word plays & cliche\'d sayings dont get old
    • 3)They are ok, but some are cheezy and preachy
    • 4)They are heavy handed and self-important/liberal
    • 5)They sound like they were written by a 6th grader
    • 6)They are contrived & unintelligent & silly
    • 7)I hate them with a passion
    • 8)Plain stupid & read like someone trying 2 act smart

Why does everyone hate BRAVADO? I never heard Rivendell, so I can't say anything about that one. I have heard Nobody's Hero though, and it is amazing!

Okay so, for all of you HATERS out there:

*Will quote an Ozzy song now*

"Maybe, it's not too late, to learn how to LOVE and forget how to HATE"

I think Rush were virtually flawless from 1974-1987. There are only FOUR songs I don't like throughout that whole period of TWELVE albums (I Think I'm Going Bald, The Necromancer, High Water and Tai Shan) - now THAT is a helluva batting average. yes.gif

Unfortunately post-HYF I don't like more songs than I like sad.gif - what happened? Presto was catchy, but it was a major downward trend lyrically from everything that went before it. Roll The Bones had some really great songs, some good ones, and some that were embarrassing. Counterparts was a brilliant return to form, but T4E, while decent (save for some awful tracks like Dog Years and Virtuality - sorry, but rhyming itch with bitch is unforgivable and the whole net-boy, net-girl thing is horrid), is not something I almost ever listen to. The best songs on that album are worse than every song but the above mentioned 4 from their first twelve albums. For VT, One Little Victory is about as good as the better songs from T4E and everything that came after that does absolutely nothing for me.

I hope they turn it around on their next album.

*hides*

ph34r.gif

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (The_Enemy_Within @ Jun 20 2006, 03:37 PM)
Why does everyone hate BRAVADO?

"Hate" might be too strong a word. The lyrics are good; typical Neil. But the ballady slowness of the music makes the whole composition dull, in my opinion. When played in concert (as another TRFer accurately described it), it's like slamming on the brakes to an otherwise rocking show. I know every song can't be an all-out rocker... but sometimes I wish they were.

The VT concerts were especially bad during the "Bravado" moment, because they played it immediately after another slow number, "The Pass." I was ready for a nap. Yawn. Thankfully, the show picked up speed again after those two songs, with "The Big Money."

Edited by GeddyRulz

I disagree with Goob about the Vapor Trails album. I thought the songs were awesome. A couple of okay songs, but the rest were awesome. Earthshine, Ceiling Unlimited, and Secret Touch are my three favorites.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 20 2006, 12:57 PM)
I disagree with Goob about the Vapor Trails album.  I thought the songs were awesome.  A couple of okay songs, but the rest were awesome.  Earthshine, Ceiling Unlimited, and Secret Touch are my three favorites.

muddy production, soupy instrumentation, lyrically boring and constrictive, not much melody, no interesting instrumental breaks or solos, no keyboards, too heavy, etc. sorry, i can't find any redeeming qualities in that album. eh.gif

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Jun 20 2006, 11:01 AM)
Alex's guitar was way to loud.

Nah, Alex's guitar can NEVER be too loud!

angel.gif pokey.gif

Hey GeddyRulz,

I agree with you there...if I had to choose one song since Counterparts (I enjoy HYF) that would represent a true return to form for me, I would choose Earthshine. To me, that song epitomizes what Rush are both musically, lyrically, and rockingly.

RushGoober,

I agree completely with your estimation of Rush since HYF. Although quality in terms of musicianship, I haven't been too happy sonically, with many Rush songs as of late. I don't need spaceships but I do need somewhat catchy tunes that really ROCK-OUT without plodding along cheezily.

I also hope they do something new and fresh next time.

I felt Test for Echo was a nice change from Counterparts, Roll the Bones and Vaopr Trails, although I did not think these live shows were lacking.

As far as whoever said they were sad...well, it is sort of saddenning to read how out heroes are sort of being taken off their pedestals. I agree. At the same time though, we all know that when we go to bed tonight (for those of us on the East Coast in USA, where it's 5:13pm), we will all still be true fans.

I just think we're all blowing-off some steam here that seemed to be a long-time coming.

trink38.gif <-----Mickey's Malt

Edited by Same Old Me

QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Jun 20 2006, 01:33 PM)
QUOTE (Same Old Me @ Jun 20 2006, 04:31 PM)
Sorry Rob,  I beg to differ.  As much as a fan as I  truly believe you are, NOBODY likes every single Rush song they've heard!

I love every rush song i've ever heard. yes.gif bekloppt.gif common001.gif

i always thought that people who like every single rush song are SO fantaically in love with Rush that they just refuse, almost rebeliously to hate any song, and will make themselves listen and listen and listen until they force themselves to like it, but in reality there are albums and/or specific songs that they'll rarely play next to their other stuff.

i guess it's possible that there are people out there who really do think face up, dog years, virtuality and freeze are right up there with tom sawyer, subdivisions, 2112 and la villa strangiato, but i'm skeptical...

QUOTE (Maddy @ Jun 20 2006, 12:14 PM)
You know, Rush at their worst is still way better than a lot of bands at their "best."

I'm with Taril - I can't think of any songs of theirs that I really hate. Some I like better than others, but there's nothing that will make me run out of the room screaming...

goodpost.gif cheer.gif applaudit.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif yes.gif

QUOTE (2112-Rob-2112 @ Jun 20 2006, 05:19 PM)
Im probably the only one who actually likes every song..aha

no.gif I can listen to every song easily. So, people here consider themselves fans, right?

This is according to Wikipedia:

Fan (aficionado) (the bracketed word being the Spanish translation), someone who has an intense liking of a person, group of persons, work of art, idea, or trend

Is that enough said for 2112-Rob-2112?

I'm going to defend "Bravado" here. Just because it's not a massive rocker number like, say, "Driven", "Stick It Out", or "Bastille Day" and it's by a rock band doesn't mean that it's bad. It's down-tempo, yes, but listen to the song!

Plus it makes you think a lot if you listen to the lyrics. That's a hell of a lot more than I can say for, say, "Chemistry" or "Dog Years".

Now, as for "Nobody's Hero" - I think that's just what happens when Neil gets too personal and too pretentious. It just doesn't work for me. The subject matter doesn't work for me, even if I agree with the sentiment behind it...it's like trying to write a rock song about cleaning your house. It works if you suggest it or use clever, subtle metaphors, I guess, but just tackling it straight-on makes it seem really heavy-handed.

I agree with rushgoober about Vapor Trails with the exceptions of "One Little Victory", "Sweet Miracle", "Nocturne", and - to some extent - "Secret Touch" and "Ceiling Unlimited". The two former songs off of that album are the only ones that I really love, although I don't mind the latter three.

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Jun 20 2006, 02:11 PM)

no.gif I can listen to every song easily. So, people here consider themselves fans, right?

Fan (aficionado) (the bracketed word being the Spanish translation), someone who has an intense liking of a person, group of persons, work of art, idea, or trend

one can be a HUGE fan and not admire everything by any given artist. yes.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 20 2006, 03:32 PM)

goodpost.gif

I love Pink Floyd, for example, but some of their stuff is just impenetrable and bizarre, and I can't get into it.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 20 2006, 06:32 PM)

While that is true, there are fans that are fans of every song. Even if they aren't as great as others around. I was pointing that out as once a person states in a thread that they like every song, they start to get bashed for really liking every song. I have listened to many jokes about Rush once someone finds out I'm a fan. I'm just sticking up with Rob because I feel as he does about the songs. That's not to say that a Rush fan can't not like a song. It's same reason someone CAN like a song. Just pointing out that sometimes people mistake liking the band & every song as a bad bad thing rather than a good thing.

Sorry Rob, I beg to differ. As much as a fan as I truly believe you are, NOBODY likes every single Rush song they've heard!

I doubt there is anyone that truly likes every single RUSH song (not even the band members themselves), but by the same line of thinking, it's a pretty far-fetched idea that any fan who believes they understand the band can passionately HATE any one of their songs.

Not liking/not listening to a song and hating it are completely different things; surely, a "fan" would have more insight into the band than the average listener and be able to appreciate how and why a certain song or era of music was created, even if they don't care for it.

Regardless of anybody's opinion, there is an inherent quality to everything that RUSH has produced, and to label something as "shite" reveals much more about the reviewer than the music itself. In most examples in this thread, it's painfully obvious that the listener hasn't been able to grow at the same pace as the band.

• Like 1

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 20 2006, 05:50 PM)
QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Jun 20 2006, 01:33 PM)
Sorry Rob,  I beg to differ.  As much as a fan as I  truly believe you are, NOBODY likes every single Rush song they've heard!

I love every rush song i've ever heard. yes.gif bekloppt.gif common001.gif

i always thought that people who like every single rush song are SO fantaically in love with Rush that they just refuse, almost rebeliously to hate any song, and will make themselves listen and listen and listen until they force themselves to like it, but in reality there are albums and/or specific songs that they'll rarely play next to their other stuff.

i guess it's possible that there are people out there who really do think face up, dog years, virtuality and freeze are right up there with tom sawyer, subdivisions, 2112 and la villa strangiato, but i'm skeptical...

This is kind of the point & where we somewhat agree. There are songs I may not like as much as others but I still like them. It's not a question of pedestals or heroes being brought down. It's just a simple fact, there are people that really do like every song just as there are people that thinks Rush is the worst band ever....

So, yes, there are songs I may skip over from time to time. That may be me not liking it at the time or simply not in the mood for it. But at some point, I will go back to that song & listen. So, for Rob, Limelight, & myself so far are the only ones who will say that they do like every Rush song. I won't argue if you don't...may disagree & mumble to myself but not argue the points. Music is subjective to the point that can cause arguments over someone thinking a song (fill in the blank ____)

QUOTE (momosdanceparty @ Jun 20 2006, 07:01 PM)

I doubt there is anyone that truly likes every single RUSH song (not even the band members themselves), but by the same line of thinking, it's a pretty far-fetched idea that any fan who believes they understand the band can passionately HATE any one of their songs.

Not liking/not listening to a song and hating it are completely different things; surely, a "fan" would have more insight into the band than the average listener and be able to appreciate how and why a certain song or era of music was created, even if they don't care for it.

Regardless of anybody's opinion, there is an inherent quality to everything that RUSH has produced, and to label something as "shite" reveals much more about the reviewer than the music itself. In most examples in this thread, it's painfully obvious that the listener hasn't been able to grow at the same pace as the band.

Actually, there are people that like every Rush song. It is a point that some people think that those that do are blinded by misgivings or such. It is ok to like every song. There are some songs that stand out as a better song but someone can still enjoy every song by a group such as Limelight, Rob, & myself.

While you can't believe that, I can't believe there are people that HATE a song...but I don't dismiss it. I let it go...I promised myself that I wouldn't actually post in here but after I saw Rob's post, I had to say something.

I guess Vapor Trails is one those love it or hate it albums. I love it. I may skip several songs, but as a whole I think it is saturated with emotion and feeling. I haven't seen the likes of that since Hold Your Fire.