WORST Rush song EVER

GGOAT!!!

Do you LIKE Neil's more recent lyrics?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Do you LIKE Neil's more recent lyrics?

• 1)Metaphors using *like & *as show his intelligence
    • 2)Word plays & cliche\'d sayings dont get old
    • 3)They are ok, but some are cheezy and preachy
    • 4)They are heavy handed and self-important/liberal
    • 5)They sound like they were written by a 6th grader
    • 6)They are contrived & unintelligent & silly
    • 7)I hate them with a passion
    • 8)Plain stupid & read like someone trying 2 act smart

QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Jun 20 2006, 11:01 AM)
I don't enjoy the live 2112 on RiR.
You can't hear geddy. wtf.gif
Alex's guitar was way to loud.
And i couldn't hear any bass.
Neil drum's were perfect though.

Keep in mind that there was no soundcheck for the RiR show, and that the crowd was not only many times larger, but also many times louder than most other crowds.

I don't have any problem with Nobody's Hero. I can't understand why everyone hates it so much.

Rivendell lost it for me the first time I heard it when I found myself listening to the words and expecting the verse to go "lying in the warm grass, feel the sunlight on my ass" because, lets face it, who's going to think "face" rhymes with "grass"? My brain expected a rhyming body part for the sunlight to be on, and ass was it.... I've never been able to listen to that song without cracking up there.

z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jun 20 2006, 11:06 AM)
QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Jun 20 2006, 11:01 AM)
I don't enjoy the live 2112 on RiR.
You can't hear geddy. wtf.gif
Alex's guitar was way to loud.
And i couldn't hear any bass.
Neil drum's were perfect though.

Keep in mind that there was no soundcheck for the RiR show, and that the crowd was not only many times larger, but also many times louder than most other crowds.

I don't have any problem with Nobody's Hero. I can't understand why everyone hates it so much.

Rivendell lost it for me the first time I heard it when I found myself listening to the words and expecting the verse to go "lying in the warm grass, feel the sunlight on my ass" because, lets face it, who's going to think "face" rhymes with "grass"? My brain expected a rhyming body part for the sunlight to be on, and ass was it.... I've never been able to listen to that song without cracking up there.

z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif

As do i really enjoy nobody's hero.

And why do alot of people beat up on dog years? wtf.gif

You know, Rush at their worst is still way better than a lot of bands at their "best."

I'm with Taril - I can't think of any songs of theirs that I really hate. Some I like better than others, but there's nothing that will make me run out of the room screaming...

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jun 20 2006, 11:06 AM)

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

I DO sing Rivendell like that! tongue.gif For the same reason.

And, I love "Nobody's Hero," too. As a matter of fact, it's my 7-year-old daughter's favorite Rush song. She and her best friend sang to it on stage at a local karaoke place last Friday night! How cool is that?

QUOTE (daveyt @ Jun 20 2006, 08:38 AM)
everyone in this thread needs a bitchslap yes.gif

couldn't agree with you more.......

hey cask it really is apparent you don't like rush unless it came from before 82.....i don't embrace every rush tune...there is not 1 that i hate....as far as rtb..gup..counter and tfe.....most people love rush because the never conformed and always did what they wanted to do...if they did every album like hemispheres i think you would piss and moan bc eveything sounds the same....

the more things change the more they stay the same

Cheers,

waw

How could you all hate Bravado? Do you sit there thinking about how bored you are rather than actually listening to it? Come on!

And as for Rivendell, that's an awesome song as well. It's nice to see that they can do something different and still be good.

I never said I hated everything post-82. If you would pay attention and READ thoroughly my posts, you would see this is not the case. Competency pays a part here before you blindly conclude.

By the way, in my list of horrid songs, I did NOT include songs that I could at least remember how they went without puking. Some of these songs are so wretched that just being able to remember a song keeps it off the list; ie, "Roll the Bones" or "Superconductor". Its not that they DON'T suck, they just don't suck as BAD as the others.

I like "Nobody's Hero" for some reason. It seems, however, that most are in agreement generally with the list. 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (TheCaskOf43 @ Jun 20 2006, 01:56 PM)

I like "Nobody's Hero" for some reason. It seems, however, that most are in agreement generally with the list. 062802puke_prv.gif

Except your views on T4E. Musically, it's in a different category than the previous 3 albums. It's edgier, reminiscent of the old days even.

Lyrically, it's a bomb. (or a dog.)

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jun 20 2006, 11:07 AM)
QUOTE (Rush Didact @ Jun 20 2006, 09:10 AM)
And also, I refuse to vote in the poll in this thread.

Yeah, because those options aren't biased at all. It's like asking "Have you ever used Asprin or LSD? Yes or no."

I don't find Neil's lyrics cheesy, I find his metaphors to be apt and unique, (and a comparison using 'like' or 'as' is a simile, not a metaphor,) and I think very little of his work is cliched.

Hi Didact....

More people know what a metaphor is than a simile...and the poll option would only allow me 1 line to write my choice, and I couldn't fit "metaphor/simile" together on that line. So, I went with "metaphor" rather than "simile". Similes are used by junior high school students; used broadly and too often, they sound completely juvenile.

Jewel and Alicia Keys use the same writing style and characteristics in their respective books of "poetry".

QUOTE (Same Old Me @ Jun 19 2006, 05:24 PM)
OK, I'll say it...the thing I've never said out loud before. Although I love Rush and all their stuff by default (the usual disclaimer), I must admit that I haven't been too enthused by any release after Hold Your Fire, with the exception of Test For Echo and the live releases. (To me Test For Echo is just a "bright" sounding recording...sprightly and bright...a real deviation from the others of that era.) I really hope Rush pulls-it together soon and does something I enjoy as unique and imaginative and rockin!

I'm with you except the only great album that I'm enthusiastic about post-HYF is Counterparts. There's some ok songs on Presto, a handful of great songs on RTB, some ok songs on T4E and nothing I care about on VT.

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Jun 20 2006, 12:00 AM)
QUOTE (geddy alex peart @ Jun 19 2006, 10:33 PM)
I like certain songs but i mean like in general the albums blow

I think Counterparts is one of their most consistent albums!

That was my EXACT thought about it since I first heard it. I was even thinking that this morning when I was playing my breakfast playlist and most of the songs were C/P (and Hand Over Fist after someone said it in this topic and got the chorus stuck in my head with some quote about neil doing puns being original) and Cut through Chase was stuck in my head for most of the test and i barely know it. I hate that >_<

QUOTE (azechiel @ Jun 20 2006, 01:21 PM)
How could you all hate Bravado? Do you sit there thinking about how bored you are rather than actually listening to it? Come on!

And as for Rivendell, that's an awesome song as well. It's nice to see that they can do something different and still be good.

goodpost.gif

I think there's some great post-HYF albums, especially Counterparts. But Roll the Bones was a big clunker in my book, save for "Dreamline" and the instrumental.

As for worst song ever, I'd go back to the first album. Neil's lyrics are good on RTB, even if the songs themselves suck as a whole. Worst song ever was....

"In the Mood." Very dopey lyrics! Why they kept it in the setlist for several tours is beyond me.