WORST Rush song EVER

GGOAT!!!

Do you LIKE Neil's more recent lyrics?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Do you LIKE Neil's more recent lyrics?

• 1)Metaphors using *like & *as show his intelligence
    • 2)Word plays & cliche\'d sayings dont get old
    • 3)They are ok, but some are cheezy and preachy
    • 4)They are heavy handed and self-important/liberal
    • 5)They sound like they were written by a 6th grader
    • 6)They are contrived & unintelligent & silly
    • 7)I hate them with a passion
    • 8)Plain stupid & read like someone trying 2 act smart

There's some thread about Rush songs that give you the most emotion and Bravado was up there! I don't have the album, but I have it downloaded (only temporarily) and I gave it a listen and said wtf.gif This provokes no emotion in me! If I feel like crying, I'll go listen to The Pass 1022.gif

QUOTE (geddy alex peart @ Jun 19 2006, 10:33 PM)
I like certain songs but i mean like in general the albums blow

I think Counterparts is one of their most consistent albums! Are you including HYF and T4E with the list? Because I really like HYF, and I've heard T4E a few times and don't really dig it all that much...

I think I've disagreed with every single post in this thread so far. I'm a HUGE fan of newer Rush, and not so much the older stuff. TheCaskof43, could you not just have said "I hate everything they made after Signals" and spared us the list of almost every song they've made since then?

For me, my list is rather short:

Chemistry, because it's just... wow. Neil's worst lyrics bar none.

Hemispheres, because it's really kinda cheesy. Probably the Rush song I've listened to the least. I like Neil's more recent musings on morality when he tackles it head on, instead of via obscure Greek mythology.

And I'm tempted to say The Camera Eye, but I suppose it belongs more in the "unbelievably overrated" category instead of the "lame" category.

I'd also like to give an honorable mention to the entire HYF album, just because of how much the production on it sucks ASS. If it weren't for Force Ten, Time Stand Still and Lock and Key I'd probably never listen to it again.

Hi Didact...

I don't hate everything since Signals. I hate the songs I listed. I love GUP (except the two songs I listed), all of Power Windows, some of Hold Your Fire (not much), a few off Presto...its a crapshoot as far as Roll the Bones, Counterparts, and Test for Echo go...I like a few of the songs here and there, and I like all of Vapor Trails for the simple fact that I CAN listen to it...it doesn't bore me to death like parts of the albums before it.

Chemistry, yes, the lyrics suck. But, so many of Neil's lyrics suck so bad that this one isn't any worse. The music's good, however, and its catchy.

Hemispheres is amazing.

Camera Eye is original and daunting; not for the average listener, but I love it nonetheless. One of Ged's best bass lines in the ending during the solo.

So far, the only song I don't care for is Red Lenses >_<

Oh, and everyone stop hating on Bravado, will ya? I LOVE that song.

I also love more than half the songs you guys are mentioning!

Neurotica, Kid Gloves, Lock and Key, etc..

Those are all GREAT songs.

Jeez.. sarcasm.gif

Edited by The_Enemy_Within

QUOTE (Rush Didact @ Jun 19 2006, 09:04 PM)
Chemistry, because it's just... wow.  Neil's worst lyrics bar none.

Hemispheres, because it's really kinda cheesy.  Probably the Rush song I've listened to the least.  I like Neil's more recent musings on morality when he tackles it head on, instead of via obscure Greek mythology.

And I'm tempted to say The Camera Eye, but I suppose it belongs more in the "unbelievably overrated" category instead of the "lame" category.

Agreed with all of these in addition to "Nobody's Hero", which is the most embarrassingly pretentious bull I've ever heard come out of Rush - and I'm actually counting "By-Tor and the Snow Dog", "The Necromancer", and "Cygnus X-1" here - and "I Think I'm Going Bald", which just isn't cool.

Oh yeah..."Dog Years" and "Virtuality" are also lyrical piles of dreck.

"Superconductor" is so bad, though, that I completely forgot to mention it. It's best left forgotten. But I love Presto, almost every other song on it I adore, and "Superconductor" is like a dark, smelly, greasy stain on its shirt.

Edited by Kudzu

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jun 19 2006, 09:40 PM)
QUOTE (TheCaskOf43 @ Jun 19 2006, 09:25 PM)
Here's my thorough list of the most hated Rush songs.  All the songs here are notable for one of the following:  "lame-ness", horrible recording quality, lack of instrumental prowess, lack of feeling, neil's new "I'm not going to play like I used to" style, complete boredom, inane lyrics, lack of imagination, complete non-existence of catchiness, no redeeming qualities whatsoever, and did I mention some of the worst lyrics known to man???

1) Kid Gloves-I'm not anti-gay or a gay basher, but I don't want to hear Rush trying to SOUND gay... 
2) Red Lenses-This along with "Kid Gloves" does NOT belong on the otherwise great GUP...
3) Open Secrets-Rush started losing me here...
6) High Water-Completely void of anything memorable.
7) Anagram (for Mongo)-Boredom is creeping in.
9) Hand Over Fist-Neil's getting even more lame with the lyrics and his own self-feeling of "cleverness" while reciting trite cliche'd expressions and thinking he's being profound by offering cheesy plays on words.
12) Face Up-Wait, how does this one go?  Oh yeah, that's my point.
13) The Big Wheel-More of Neil's cheesy word plays.  How's this one go? Sing it, c'mon...wait, you CAN'T....you can't get any "uncatchy-er"...
14) Heresy-More self profound liberal drool and complete lack of musical interest.
15) Neurotica-Very 90's.  Very reverby.  Geddy can't seem to sing a melody anymore...just talks stacato lines.
16) You Bet Your Life-Please Neil, your lyrics, while I used to enjoy them, make me puke.  Stop the cheesy similes using "like" and "as"...you act as if since you read a literature book after leaving school, that you're the only one who knows what imagery is about...but your childhood level irony and reciting cheesy stereotypical sayings are even more rote than country lyrics. 
17) Cut to the Chase-See the description above.  Mind numbingly boring music, Neil's typical later unbelievably cheesy "profound" lyrics. 
18) Between Sun & Moon-Makes me want to attend a seminar on France's small business import tax structure.  Would be less boring.
19) Alien Shore-Just lame.
20) The Speed of Love-Do I need to say anymore?
21) Double Agent-Amazingly, even worse than most of the above.
24) Half the World-Yuk.  Don't tell me you can listen to this all the way through.
25) Color of Right-Color of WRONG.
26) Time and Motion-A return of the "old" Rush?  Um, I think not.
27) Totem-Pole smoker.
29) Virtuality-Neil, who is very self-important and considers himself all-knowing, slams the internet.  Kinda like the opposite of Al Gore, but in reality, they are both equally bright as of late.  Neil's decision to completely forget how to play drums as he used to is evidenced by this decline. 
30) Carve Away the Stone-Not nearly as catchy as Aerosmith's "Chip Away at the Stone" even if Aerosmith's were played backwards at half speed.

Where's Rivendell?

4) Lock and Key-The chorus is OK, but getting to it is complete boredom and silly grade school lyrics...

really? I think it's one of the best cuts off HYF.

5) Tai Shan-OMG...please, Neil, stop it. 

stop what?

8) Red Tide-OMG Neil, enough with the cheesy "red" metaphors.  Its not 8th grade literature class.

I didn't study Red in 8th grade...I like the song anyways

10) Available Light-This lightbulb burned out in the first 10 seconds.  Reverb anyone?

I shall no longer speak to you.

11) Bravado-Why they continue to bore us to death with this crap song is beyond me.

Agree completely

22) Cold Fire-Proof that the guys are comfortable with this lame crap.  Nothing redeeming.

Lame crap? What's that all about? It's a great song, maybe a bit overrated among the harder-core fans, but it's still one of Rush's better 90s pieces in terms of musicality and even lyricism. Just because it isn't the good old sci-fi spaceship stuff doesn't mean it's no good.

23) Everyday Glory-Another one that no one can remember or find anything good to say about.

I can remember it. I can say plenty good about it too. Again, great musicality, and good approach at the new theme that seems to carry through Counterparts

28) Dog Years-More of Neil's lyrical work which belongs in the advanced 5th grade Language class.

Now hey, that's a deep insult to fifth graders! This song sort of sucks if you ask me.

I dislike only one 2.gif song "Rivendell"

2.gif trink39.gif common001.gif trink39.gif common001.gif trink39.gif common001.gif trink39.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (boz69 @ Jun 20 2006, 12:11 AM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jun 19 2006, 09:40 PM)
QUOTE (TheCaskOf43 @ Jun 19 2006, 09:25 PM)
Here's my thorough list of the most hated Rush songs.  All the songs here are notable for one of the following:  "lame-ness", horrible recording quality, lack of instrumental prowess, lack of feeling, neil's new "I'm not going to play like I used to" style, complete boredom, inane lyrics, lack of imagination, complete non-existence of catchiness, no redeeming qualities whatsoever, and did I mention some of the worst lyrics known to man???

1) Kid Gloves-I'm not anti-gay or a gay basher, but I don't want to hear Rush trying to SOUND gay... 
2) Red Lenses-This along with "Kid Gloves" does NOT belong on the otherwise great GUP...
3) Open Secrets-Rush started losing me here...
6) High Water-Completely void of anything memorable.
7) Anagram (for Mongo)-Boredom is creeping in.
9) Hand Over Fist-Neil's getting even more lame with the lyrics and his own self-feeling of "cleverness" while reciting trite cliche'd expressions and thinking he's being profound by offering cheesy plays on words.
12) Face Up-Wait, how does this one go?  Oh yeah, that's my point.
13) The Big Wheel-More of Neil's cheesy word plays.  How's this one go? Sing it, c'mon...wait, you CAN'T....you can't get any "uncatchy-er"...
14) Heresy-More self profound liberal drool and complete lack of musical interest.
15) Neurotica-Very 90's.  Very reverby.  Geddy can't seem to sing a melody anymore...just talks stacato lines.
16) You Bet Your Life-Please Neil, your lyrics, while I used to enjoy them, make me puke.  Stop the cheesy similes using "like" and "as"...you act as if since you read a literature book after leaving school, that you're the only one who knows what imagery is about...but your childhood level irony and reciting cheesy stereotypical sayings are even more rote than country lyrics. 
17) Cut to the Chase-See the description above.  Mind numbingly boring music, Neil's typical later unbelievably cheesy "profound" lyrics. 
18) Between Sun & Moon-Makes me want to attend a seminar on France's small business import tax structure.  Would be less boring.
19) Alien Shore-Just lame.
20) The Speed of Love-Do I need to say anymore?
24) Half the World-Yuk.  Don't tell me you can listen to this all the way through.
25) Color of Right-Color of WRONG.
26) Time and Motion-A return of the "old" Rush?  Um, I think not.
27) Totem-Pole smoker.
29) Virtuality-Neil, who is very self-important and considers himself all-knowing, slams the internet.  Kinda like the opposite of Al Gore, but in reality, they are both equally bright as of late.  Neil's decision to completely forget how to play drums as he used to is evidenced by this decline. 
30) Carve Away the Stone-Not nearly as catchy as Aerosmith's "Chip Away at the Stone" even if Aerosmith's were played backwards at half speed.

Where's Rivendell?

4) Lock and Key-The chorus is OK, but getting to it is complete boredom and silly grade school lyrics...

really? I think it's one of the best cuts off HYF.

5) Tai Shan-OMG...please, Neil, stop it. 

stop what?

8) Red Tide-OMG Neil, enough with the cheesy "red" metaphors.  Its not 8th grade literature class.

I didn't study Red in 8th grade...I like the song anyways

10) Available Light-This lightbulb burned out in the first 10 seconds.  Reverb anyone?

I shall no longer speak to you.

11) Bravado-Why they continue to bore us to death with this crap song is beyond me.

Agree completely

22) Cold Fire-Proof that the guys are comfortable with this lame crap.  Nothing redeeming.

Lame crap? What's that all about? It's a great song, maybe a bit overrated among the harder-core fans, but it's still one of Rush's better 90s pieces in terms of musicality and even lyricism. Just because it isn't the good old sci-fi spaceship stuff doesn't mean it's no good.

23) Everyday Glory-Another one that no one can remember or find anything good to say about.

I can remember it. I can say plenty good about it too. Again, great musicality, and good approach at the new theme that seems to carry through Counterparts

28) Dog Years-More of Neil's lyrical work which belongs in the advanced 5th grade Language class.

Now hey, that's a deep insult to fifth graders! This song sort of sucks if you ask me.

I dislike only one 2.gif song "Rivendell"

2.gif trink39.gif common001.gif trink39.gif common001.gif trink39.gif common001.gif trink39.gif 2.gif

I CAN MAKE A BIGGER, FATTER, MORE ANNOYING POST THAN YOU WITH A BIGGER, FATTER, MORE ANNOYING QUOTE!

2.gif 2.gif icon_alienjig.gif icon_alienjig.gif 2.gif 2.gif common001.gif common001.gif 2.gif 2.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif 2.gif 2.gif trink39.gif

Edited by fledgehog

Hard to narrow down but for me probably Red Lenses.

Digital Man a dumb little ditty also.

Now theres parts of concepts that make my skin crawl for Geddy's dramatic effect rips into ya,

Part ll of Fountain of Lamenth Didacts and Narpets "LISTEN !" scared.gif

And the end of Cygnus X-1 " EVERY NERVE IS TORN APAAAAAART !" No sh*t !! laugh.gif

QUOTE (softfilter @ Jun 20 2006, 01:45 AM)

And the end of Cygnus X-1 " EVERY NERVE IS TORN APAAAAAART !" No sh*t !! laugh.gif

LoL!!! The live version from Different Stages is HILARIOUS!!

I've grown accustomed to people hating on HYF thru T4E era Rush, so it doesn't bother me.... but, I do have a soft spot for that era of Rush. I can listen to all of those albums all the way through without skipping songs... though, Bravado, Nobody's Hero and other "dramatic ballad" type songs do irritate me...

Uptempo Rockers that people usually rag on like Face Up, Dog Years..etc Are some of my favorites.

I spent so many years hearing people praise 1975-1981 Rush, and even doing that myself. After awhile, I started really digging deeper into the later CDs to the point that now I'm a synth era and 90s era Rush junkie more so than the earlier stuff. I don't find much to dislike there.

QUOTE (TheCaskOf43 @ Jun 19 2006, 11:09 PM)
Chemistry, yes, the lyrics suck. But, so many of Neil's lyrics suck so bad that this one isn't any worse. The music's good, however, and its catchy.

Hold on a second... let me get this straight. You're telling me that THIS little bit of lyrical genius:

Eye to I
Reaction burning hotter
Two to one
Reflection on the water
H to O
No flow without the other
Oh but how
Do they make contact
With one another?

Electricity? Biology?
Seems to me it's Chemistry

is as good as THESE?

All four winds together
Can't bring the world to me
Shadows hide the play of light
So much I want to see
Chase the light around the world
I want to look at life - In the available light

And if the music stops
There's only the sound of the rain
All the hope and glory
All the sacrifice in vain
If love remains
Though everything is lost
We will pay the price,
But we will not count the cost

You've got to be kidding me!

• Like 1

There are a few.

Cold fire - because it's crap.

Bravado - because it bores the arse off me.

I think I'm going bald - because I'm bald. And it's crap.

Virtuality - because the lyrics are brutal, "Net-boy, Net-Girl"????? Hello?

It gives Rush-haters far too much ammunition.

Presto - a melody would be nice.

Rivendell - embarrassingly twee.

But I'll defend RTB and Nobody's Hero!!!

Wow, Cask, I don't think we'd ever manage to have a listening party together! biggrin.gif

Ok, I agree that there are too many "red" songs - that's just kinda weird - but I don't dislike any of them for that reason (though I abhore "Red Lenses" just because it sucks).

Red Tide, though, is one of my favourites - it's so moody and has a great feel to it.

This one I love because it's one of those songs that reminds me of things I sometimes tend to forget - like that it can be good to be more open to people. Online, I'm very friendly and open, but in person, I'm horrifyingly shy. Get me in a room full of people and I'll do whatever I can to "disappear". The lines "I feel my sprit resist, but I open up my fist and lay hand over hand..." is something that just rings so VERY true to me - and reminds me that when I DO let myself relax and make the effort to be able to connect with someone, it's actually a good thing.

Another one I love for it's moodiness. I don't know if I've ever really listened to the lyrics on this one - I usually just let myself sink into the feeling of the music and go with it

The main part of the song is a bit ... i dunno ... conventional, but for me, on the live versions, the soaring guitar solo at the end is WELL worth sitting through the rest of it!

I love this one just because it's so weirly quirky - and again, some of the lyrics just hit me in a certain way

Lyrically, not the best, but another one where the overall musciality of the song wins me over. I just like the way it sounds

26) Time and Motion-A return of the "old" Rush?  Um, I think not

I'm not sure quite why I like this one so much, but I do. It's one of my faves off T4E

As to what I HATE? Dog Years, Carve Away the Stone and, most of all....

RIVENDELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dog Years, the lyrics are inane and the music just isn't enough to cover it up, Carve Away the Stone just sounds, i dunno, goofy, and Rivendell lost it for me the first time I heard it when I found myself listening to the words and expecting the verse to go "lying in the warm grass, feel the sunlight on my ass" because, lets face it, who's going to think "face" rhymes with "grass"? My brain expected a rhyming body part for the sunlight to be on, and ass was it.... I've never been able to listen to that song without cracking up there.

QUOTE (daveyt @ Jun 20 2006, 08:38 AM)
everyone in this thread needs a bitchslap yes.gif

YOU'RE in this thread, davey! unsure.gif

I know what you mean. But, I have to say that "I Think I'm Going Bald" is bad. It makes me want to tear my hair out. laugh.gif

Runner up is "Dog Years." Yuck.

Dog Years

Virtuality

You Bet Your Life (nerdy talk by Geddy just grates on my nerves!)

Double Agent

Actually to be honest, I havent found a Rush song that I hate. Sure their are some I tend not to listen to, but I dont think their bad.

I LOVE Rivendell!! I dont know why people hate that song so much.

Of course Im a Tolkien freak, so im probably biast, but its still such a great song.

Edited by Taril