WORST Rush song EVER

GGOAT!!!

Do you LIKE Neil's more recent lyrics?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Do you LIKE Neil's more recent lyrics?

• 1)Metaphors using *like & *as show his intelligence
    • 2)Word plays & cliche\'d sayings dont get old
    • 3)They are ok, but some are cheezy and preachy
    • 4)They are heavy handed and self-important/liberal
    • 5)They sound like they were written by a 6th grader
    • 6)They are contrived & unintelligent & silly
    • 7)I hate them with a passion
    • 8)Plain stupid & read like someone trying 2 act smart

QUOTE (Slime @ Nov 29 2006, 10:15 PM)
Red Barchetta.

To date, the ONLY Rush song I will avoid at all costs. I just cannot get into this song. It bores me. Maybe you have to be a car person to really get into this song?

Car songs. That would make a good thread...

biggrin.gif

I have a few that I hate -

By-Tor & The Snow Dog (Only real 'Classic' RUSH song I can't get into)

Madrigal (Just don't like it)

Rivendell (Miserable song)

Red Lenses (song is ok, ruined by Geddy's awful keyboard settings)

Emotion Detector (very dated. Not very good anyways)

Anagram (Almost a decent song)

Territories (Sounds like an upbeat Tai Shan with good lyrics)

Cold Fire (Almost a decent song)

Everyday Glory (Wow that song sucks. I don't know what it is, but I hate it)

Alien Shore (Never have been able to get into it)

The Main Monkey Business (strangest thing ever, very boring)

etc.....

BUT NONE CAN BEAT.......................

TAI SHAN

Edited by DistantEarlySignals

Stick It Out

I hate that song.

This drivel about "bad Rush is still better than most bands at their best".

Stick It Out is about as bad as a song can get. Horrendous song, and in actual fact I think Counterparts is worse than I initially thought. Dreadful stuff all over that one.

Stick It Out

I hate that song.

This drivel about "bad Rush is still better than most bands at their best".

Stick It Out is about as bad as a song can get. Horrendous song, and in actual fact I think Counterparts is worse than I initially thought. Dreadful stuff all over that one.

Counterparts was released in 1993 during the height of grunge, and I definitely hear those influences in places on that album.

I like Stick It Out though. Love the main guitar riff in that song, and the solo. What can I say. :)

Red Barchetta? Alien Shore? These are the worst Rush tracks??

Yikes.

CP seems so underrated in the online fanbase. Weird.

Let's just make it easy. All of CoS. And all of TFE. There ya go. :)

Let's just make it easy. All of CoS.

:no: :no: :no: :no:

How do you figure?

As I see it, whether you consider the album a hit or a miss, overall...even if I didn't like the album, I'd still say it was an incredibly ambitious album for a group of 22-year olds to make.

• Like 1

How do you figure?

As I see it, whether you consider the album a hit or a miss, overall...even if I didn't like the album, I'd still say it was an incredibly ambitious album for a group of 22-year olds to make.

Ambition does not always result in success. :)

It just didn't land as the concept album they were shooting for.

However, they did get better at it in subsequent attempts. :D

How do you figure?

I totally agree about ambition not always leading to success...I agree with the rest of your post, here. I just didn't think that necessarily translates into the whole album being comprised of the worst Rush songs ever. (Does it? Ah, well...entirely subjective).

Go ahead, though...keep sending your signal 'round the world. :)

:LOL:

How do you figure?

I totally agree about ambition not always leading to success...I agree with the rest of your post, here. I just didn't think that necessarily translates into the whole album being comprised of the worst Rush songs ever. (Does it? Ah, well...entirely subjective).

Well, to be fair, I def think TFE tracks are worse than CoS tracks. :)

• Like 1

off the top of my head...Dog Years.

God yes! What an awful song, well the lyrics anyways. I really do think the 1990s, for the most part, were Rush's low point. I can forgive corny lyrics from the early records, and I Think I'm Going Bald has its charms for all of that, but Dog Years would have been a stinker even in the mid-70s. In general I find Test For Echo to be probably the weakest Rush album. It has some good songs, but I think quality control on Neil's lyrics had slipped badly, and he was just dialing it in. Virtuality is another song off that record, bad simply because the lyrics so badly date it. Every time I hear "Put your message in a modem..." I shiver.

God yes! What an awful song, well the lyrics anyways. I really do think the 1990s, for the most part, were Rush's low point. I can forgive corny lyrics from the early records, and I Think I'm Going Bald has its charms for all of that, but Dog Years would have been a stinker even in the mid-70s. In general I find Test For Echo to be probably the weakest Rush album. It has some good songs, but I think quality control on Neil's lyrics had slipped badly, and he was just dialing it in. Virtuality is another song off that record, bad simply because the lyrics so badly date it. Every time I hear "Put your message in a modem..." I shiver.

Do you not get online? Test For Echo was prescient, and Dog Years is far better than the garbage on CP...it's at least fun and moderately witty.

How do you figure?

Well, to be fair, I def think TFE tracks are worse than CoS tracks. :)

Ooooh....doubling down on wrong. Again.

• Like 1

Do you not get online? Test For Echo was prescient, and Dog Years is far better than the garbage on CP...it's at least fun and moderately witty.

I was getting online, and hearing the modem sound around 1990, about the same time I started posting on Usenet and using email, so it wasn't some great revelation to me. But more to the point, if Neil was trying to make a point, he should have been an experienced enough songwriter (seeing as, in one form or another, he'd been writing lyrics for the better part of a quarter century by that point) to not make specific mention of a specific technical device.

And no, Dog Years is not witty. It's just plain bad.

I was getting online, and hearing the modem sound around 1990, about the same time I started posting on Usenet and using email, so it wasn't some great revelation to me. But more to the point, if Neil was trying to make a point, he should have been an experienced enough songwriter (seeing as, in one form or another, he'd been writing lyrics for the better part of a quarter century by that point) to not make specific mention of a specific technical device.

And no, Dog Years is not witty. It's just plain bad.

Good for you. I didn't know the internet existed until 1994, and in 1996 I didn't even consider spending time online having the types of communications that he describes and which have become the standard for people now. The song was well ahead of its time and is more relevant now than when he wrote it.

And if you can't find fun and humor in Dog Years, that's on you.

• Like 1

Rush are the only band where I never skip album tracks. There are no truly bad Rush songs. I would rather listen to the 'worst' of Rush on constant loop than 99.998% of chart music. CoS and TFE are my least favourite albums but they are stone cold, nailed on masterpieces compared to most bands' output... Edited by Alvy Singer
  • Like 4

Rush are the only band where I never skip album tracks. There are no truly bad Rush songs. I would rather listen to the 'worst' of Rush on constant loop than 99.998% of chart music. CoS and TFE are my least favourite albums but they are stone cold, nailed on masterpieces compared to most bands' output...

I'm much the same way. Even though I have mentioned a couple of songs by the band that I'm really not that into, even those songs I can tolerate. There are no songs by the band that I can say I hate. If that makes me a "fan girl", so be it.

• Like 1