Stephen King

thestand

I needed to make one. I like to tell myself I'm fairly well read for my age, but by long and far King is my favourite contemporary author. His crowning glory is The Dark Tower series. But even more then that, the idea of the Dark Tower, and tying a lot of his other books in. I'm now rereading TDT for the 5th time.

Not including TDT, my favorite King Books:

The Talisman

Black House

Needful Things

Desperation

Cujo

The Shining

Carrie

Cell

Everything's Eventual

Nightmares and Dreamscapes

It

Salem's Lot

Oh, and he did this one book, you know... called The Stand... I'm kinda a fan of that.. biggrin.gif wink.gif

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that he is a fantastic author, but I have one problem that keeps me from reading his books.

When I read I get so absorbed and involved in a book that I literally become the lead character, and feeling the same emotions.

It would not be a good idea for me to read horror/suspense novels that are written so descriptively and flow so well because I would scare the ever living crap out of myself in doing so scared.gif

I do absolutely appreciate his writing, I've seen Pet Cemetary a couple times - and yes, it scared me - and I remember seeing the film version of Cat's Eye when I was like 7 years old, and being scared to death of that ever since - to this day I still like to make sure my cat is with me when I go to bed to protect me.... scared.gif

Stephen King is one of my favorite authors..and Dean Koontz. yes.gif

I can totally understand LSMs point about being 'absorbed' in Stephens writing. When I read his books, I find it difficult to read any other authors. Stephens books stay in my mind long after the book is finished.

Some of my favorites..

Skeleton Crew

Misery

Hearts in Atlantis

Thinner

Different Seasons

Night Shift

The Green Mile(I couldn't wait for it to come out as a condensed book, I bought them all seperatley, and waited each month to find out the next part of the story laugh.gif )

QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Jun 15 2006, 01:25 PM)
I  know that he is a fantastic author, but I have one problem that keeps me from reading his books. 

When I read I get so absorbed and involved in a book that I literally become the lead character, and feeling the same emotions.

It would not be a good idea for me to read horror/suspense novels that are written so descriptively and flow so well because I would scare the ever living crap out of myself in doing so scared.gif

I do absolutely appreciate his writing, I've seen Pet Cemetary a couple times - and yes, it scared me - and I remember seeing the film version of Cat's Eye when I was like 7 years old, and being scared to death of that ever since - to this day I still like to make sure my cat is with me when I go to bed to protect me.... scared.gif

That is why he is the Master of Horror firedevil.gif

When his writing scares the wits of folks you know he is a great writer. And he proven it even more when he does non-horror stuff like his short story collection Different Seasons (of which 2 stories have became excellent movie adaptations; Stand By Me and Shawshank Redemption).

My fav will always be It. Gerald's Game I think is very underrated. I have fallen so behind in the Dark Towers series that I pretty much have to start over eh.gif though I loved the first 4 (which is all I've read so far). For you comic geeks Marvel has begun to release a Dark Tower comic series.

Anyone read his latest yet? The Cell.

Not only is he is consistently great but he is so prolific. I have trouble completing one short story yet he churns out books like crazy (Admittedly he has some duds but still..)

This is his official website

http://www.stephenking.com/pages/faq/future.php

Edited by Test4VitalSigns

QUOTE (Arleen2112 @ Jun 15 2006, 02:56 PM)
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e292/ar2112/skdff.jpg

Great Book  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Forgot all about this one  wink.gif

*A good summer read*

No handcuffs in the bedroom for this dude wink.gif laugh.gif

Edited by Test4VitalSigns

QUOTE (Arleen2112 @ Jun 15 2006, 05:40 PM)

I can totally understand LSMs point about being 'absorbed' in Stephens writing.  When I read his books, I find it difficult to read any other authors.  Stephens books stay in my mind long after the book is finished.

Some of my favorites..

Skeleton Crew
Misery
Hearts in Atlantis
Thinner
Different Seasons
Night Shift
The Green Mile(I couldn't wait for it to come out as a condensed book, I bought them all seperatley, and waited each month to find out the next part of the story  laugh.gif )

yes.gif King and Koontz are my two favourite authors too biggrin.gif

I've recently read the Talisman and Black House and loved both of them.

I'm onto the third book of the Dark Tower series, a series King has been writing off and on for about 20 years I think. I believe they are underrated....King stated that this could be his finest ever work smile.gif

Edited by Huck

I used to be a rabid King fan, but now the only post-Tommyknockers novel I've read is "Insomnia."

My favorites (in order) were:

1. The Stand

2. Dead Zone

3. Pet Sematary (sic)

4. Misery

5. Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption (novella)

I agree with the poster who said they empathize with characters too much, and because of that, I try not to read too many horror, thriller, or true crime books in a row. Otherwise, I get loopy and paranoid that an intruder will kill me in my sleep and/or kidnap my children. "What was that sound?!?!"

QUOTE (Huck @ Jun 15 2006, 02:01 PM)

I can totally understand LSMs point about being 'absorbed' in Stephens writing.  When I read his books, I find it difficult to read any other authors.  Stephens books stay in my mind long after the book is finished.

Some of my favorites..

Skeleton Crew
Misery
Hearts in Atlantis
Thinner
Different Seasons
Night Shift
The Green Mile(I couldn't wait for it to come out as a condensed book, I bought them all seperatley, and waited each month to find out the next part of the story  laugh.gif )

I'm onto the third book of the Dark Tower series, a series King has been writing off and on for about 20 years I think. I believe they are underrated....King stated that this could be his finest ever work smile.gif

I like both King and Koontz as well. I think my two favorite King novels are Cujo and The Shining...

Speaking of both of these gentlemen...anybody seen the Family Guy episode when Brian accidentally runs over a man in the Maine countryside, jumps out of the car, and says,

"Oh, my god! Are you Stephen King?"

"No...I'm Dean Koontz," the man groans, lying in the road.

Then Brian gets back in the truck, backs over the guy, and runs over him again.

rofl3.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif z7shysterical.gif

Poor Dean...he just loves being King's "lesser" counterpart. (not in my book, mind you)

I've read all of his books twice, except the last 3 of The Dark Tower series (only once for those so far).

I've read The Stand 3 times, or maybe 4, I can't remember.

I just finished Cell. It wasn't one of his better books, but still fun to read.

The Shining is an excellent story, much scarier than the movie. The Shining is the only book I have ever read that scared me.

It - was a fantastic book! (we all float down here)

Pet Semetary was the first one I ever read and subsequently re read and re read again!

Kudos to The Shining for being the only book to have ever given me nightmares.

I think my favourite has to be Insomnia though, the idea behind every ones lifelines (balloon strings) is just so fugging original!

I have read almost everything he has written with the exception of Black House.

And yes.gif Test, I have read Cell. Digi and I bought it when it first came out. I got to read it first though on the plane home in the spring. It was 2.5 out of 5 stars.

QUOTE (sundog @ Jun 16 2006, 01:57 AM)
I have read almost everything he has written with the exception of Black House.

And yes.gif Test, I have read Cell. Digi and I bought it when it first came out. I got to read it first though on the plane home in the spring. It was 2.5 out of 5 stars.

I haven't read Cell yet. 2.5 out of 5, not a ringing endorsement......

Still, the world's greatest storyteller.

Favourites:

The Stand

The Dark Half

It

Needful Things

Insomnia

Rose Madder

The Dead Zone

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jun 15 2006, 02:57 PM)
QUOTE (Arleen2112 @ Jun 15 2006, 02:56 PM)
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e292/ar2112/skdff.jpg

Great Book  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Forgot all about this one  wink.gif

*A good summer read*

No handcuffs in the bedroom for this dude wink.gif laugh.gif

wink.gif

rofl3.gif

Why Not? confused13.gif

*just kidding*

The only disappointment I've had with King was "The Dark Half." It moved along at just an okay pace, and then the ending was lame and cliche. Bummer.

"The Stand" is most people's favorite, and for good reason. The mini-series was good, too... I taped it from television, and still have the VHS tapes.

Baby, can you dig your man...

QUOTE (Huck @ Jun 15 2006, 03:01 PM)

Some of my favorites..

Skeleton Crew
Misery
Hearts in Atlantis
Thinner
Different Seasons
Night Shift

The Talisman!

Probably my all time fav of King's (even though it is a co-write).

Have yet to read the sequel yet, I may pick it up next week on vacation yes.gif

I'm going to be a lone voice here and say that I'm not a fan of King. I find his books to overlong and padded with too many character vignettes that don't really serve any purpose with regard to continuing the plot (in fact, a lot of them tend to slow down the plot in my opinion).

Saying that, I don't find all his work to be without merit havign enjoyed Salem's Lot, It and Firestarter. In addition, the two Richard Bachman books I've read, Running Man and Thinner, were pretty reasonable as well.

Ok, I like King and have read a lot of his books numerous time...'The Stand', 'The Talisman', 'It'...etc. Those are my fave...as are the first three of the 'Dark Tower' Series...HOWEVER, I think he REALLY turned me off and pissed me off (not to mention many other fans), when he introduced himself as a character in the 4th or so book of the DT series. Talk about EGO!! AND, the fact that he couldn't let that accident he was in go after how many years (nevermind the guy who hit him is DEAD NOW!!) and introduced that into the series as a plot point (...ok, ok, let it go man). Jeeze...the guy is talented and entertaining to read but that WHOLE thing was a major turn off...AND it felt like the last few book in the series were really rushed. So, major dissapointment as I was one of many who really looked forward to each book in the series coming out.

Ok, Lambast me if you will.

Just got done with Rose Madder and I wasnt impressed. I absolutley love The Bachman Books though. I will be reading Hearts In Atlantis as soon as I am done with Wuthering Heights.

Rose Madder just felt rushed as some points and to slow at others.

I want to read Dark Towers someday I just need to get through all the others first!

QUOTE (pixey @ Jun 19 2006, 12:41 PM)
Just got done with Rose Madder and I wasnt impressed. I absolutley love The Bachman Books though. I will be reading Hearts In Atlantis as soon as I am done with Wuthering Heights.

Rose Madder just felt rushed as some points and to slow at others.

I want to read Dark Towers someday I just need to get through all the others first!

My first reaction to your last line was to tell you to read TDT series ASAP, but then I thought about it, and I agree. The coolest thing about TDT series is how he ties so many of his other books into it (Insomnia, Salem's Lot, Talisman, and Black House being the most obvious in my mind). So if you read all of the others, then you can have that feeling of knowing the stuff beforehand. I know in my case I hadn't read Insomnia before I finished the series, and then I read it and made other connections I wouldn't have gotten before.

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Jun 15 2006, 09:54 PM)

I just finished Cell. It wasn't one of his better books, but still fun to read.

I just picked up this book (the Cell)

havent opened it yet tho unsure.gif

I gotta get in a Readin mood laugh.gif

No ones mentioned his book

"Desperation"

I LOVED that book!

I read ALL his books even the books he wrote under

that other name.

The only book i didnt read (but do own) is "IT"

i havent and wont read it only due to my fear of clowns ph34r.gif

didnt see the movie either no.gif unsure.gif

and wont! comp26.gif

oh my god dude READ IT! (no pun intended lol)

i'm still new to Stephen King. I read It last year, my first stephen king book ever, and it was excellent! you hafta read it donnawanna it's awesome.

after that i didn't read anymore stephen king for a little while cuz i had other stuff to read, but i recently started the dark tower series and am about 100 pages into Wizard and Glass.

after i finish this series i will MOST DEFINATELY be reading more Stephen King, he is amazing. as much as i love the dark tower i almost can't wait till i'm done just so i can keep reading more stephen king books lol. i recently bought Thinner and The Dead Zone from a thrift store for like a quarter each and i'm really wanting to read them, and i've also had Dreamcatcher for a while but never found time to read it. i kinda wish i hadn't watched the movie to that though, cuz it wasn't that great and i'm sure the book is way better, but now i won't get the full affect of the book cuz i know the story sad.gif . oh well, i'm sure i'll still love it.