Marathon

barney_rebel

Discuss.

First song that came to my head.

It was the day before of the Toronto Marathon a few weeks ago I listened to a number of times before the race.

I know it compares the ups and downs of life's course to a marathon, but it was just such an appropraite tune. I find it very catchy - especially when it ends with that chant... almost sounds like an Olympic theme.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Nov 5 2004, 04:09 PM)
Discuss.

First song that came to my head.

It was the day before of the Toronto Marathon a few weeks ago I listened to a number of times before the race.

I know it compares the ups and downs of life's course to a marathon, but it was just such an appropraite tune. I find it very catchy - especially when it ends with that chant... almost sounds like an Olympic theme.

This was the 2nd Rush song I ever heard in my life back when Power Windows came out (heard Territories first), so this song holds a place in my heart...

One of my ALL TIME favorite Rush songs, and one of the earliest tunes that I really got into back in '91, when they just exploded to me. Yeah I think this and Mission have always walked hand in hand as being Olympic like themes.

Everything about this song is perfect. The emotional RUSH you get from this song can barely be compared to any other. I miss them performing it live. One of the highlights for me is the solo section. In-friggin-credible!! Then near the end when the symphony kicks in. It's such a high. Chemical assistance can't invoke that kind of high. What a song. Just you putting it up as a topic has got me pumped. I can't wait now to get to my car and blast the hell out of it. GEEZ!

Marathon - a Rush Masterpiece. Makes you feel like you can accomplish anything.

2.gif AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif 2.gif

ok - i'll shut up now.

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Nov 5 2004, 04:16 PM)
QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Nov 5 2004, 04:15 PM)
Never heard it.  I don't own Power Windows.  Is it on another album, like a live collection?

yes.gif A Show Of Hands

And it's on the A Show Of Hands video. You HAVE to catch the video footage they used for the live performance. It's awesome!!

QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 5 2004, 04:18 PM)
One of my ALL TIME favorite Rush songs, and one of the earliest tunes that I really got into back in '91, when they just exploded to me. Yeah I think this and Mission have always walked hand in hand as being Olympic like themes.

Everything about this song is perfect. The emotional RUSH you get from this song can barely be compared to any other. I miss them performing it live. One of the highlights for me is the solo section. In-friggin-credible!! Then near the end when the symphony kicks in. It's such a high. Chemical assistance can't invoke that kind of high. What a song. Just you putting it up as a topic has got me pumped. I can't wait now to get to my car and blast the hell out of it. GEEZ!

Marathon - a Rush Masterpiece. Makes you feel like you can accomplish anything.

2.gif AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif 2.gif

ok - i'll shut up now.

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Awesome post!

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Nov 5 2004, 04:23 PM)
The drum roll in sync when Geddy says "...More than just a lucky shot in the dark"... is so dramatic too... love it.

YES. YES. OMG I CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR THIS SONG.

Never heard it. I don't own Power Windows. Is it on another album, like a live collection?

Never heard it????? DUDE - all I can say is prepare yourself. It won't make a difference - it's gonna kick your ass anyway... but try. laugh.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 5 2004, 04:26 PM)
Never heard it.  I don't own Power Windows.  Is it on another album, like a live collection?

Never heard it????? DUDE - all I can say is prepare yourself. It won't make a difference - it's gonna kick your ass anyway... but try. laugh.gif

I just listened to it. I really like it.

Hey sweetie, you know this is another amazing thing of our friendship... Marathon is like my life song, the ones you try to live by... inspiration when you need it, consoling when things are bad, that they will always get better... We seem to have the same honing abilities on the music. 2.gif

Marathon is an incredible song, first time I heard it was when I bought A Show Of Hands. I didnt know if I wanted to get P/G, PW, or HYF, so I bought that one to test out a few on each album. Needless to say a couple months later I had them all biggrin.gif

Anyway, I just love Marathon, it has an incredible bassline that I will never get tired of playing. Especially the part before the synth interlude/directly after the lines "First you need endurance, first you've gotta last". Just love the song. I really wish it will at some point find its way back onto the setlist.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Nov 5 2004, 05:25 PM)
Marathon is an incredible song, first time I heard it was when I bought A Show Of Hands. I didnt know if I wanted to get P/G, PW, or HYF, so I bought that one to test out a few on each album. Needless to say a couple months later I had them all biggrin.gif

Anyway, I just love Marathon, it has an incredible bassline that I will never get tired of playing. Especially the part before the synth interlude/directly after the lines "First you need endurance, first you've gotta last". Just love the song. I really wish it will at some point find its way back onto the setlist.

I agree with that. I would love to hear them play it live. 1022.gif firedevil.gif

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Nov 5 2004, 05:25 PM)
I really wish it will at some point find its way back onto the setlist.

yes.gif I hear ya!!

Archived