5 HEAVIEST Rush tunes

Presto-digitation

I assume "heaviest" means hardest rocking (i.e. their more 'metal' stuff). I would think that is how most would interpret "heaviest", but some might take "heaviest" to mean "most profound", in which case it could in principle be a soft acoustic guitar or synth driven song.

I am responding with the presumption that the OP was asking what we think Rush's 5 hardest rocking songs are (perhaps the OP could clarify what he or she meant by "heaviest"; if he or she already has I apologize for not seeing that clarification before I posted).

I'm also considering only studio versions of original Rush tracks that appeared on one of their albums (thus excluding songs from Feedback, particular versions on live recordings, or rarities that never appeared on a studio album like Garden Road).

This in my opinion immediately limits the selection to their first four albums, because in my opinion that is where their heaviest songs are found.

They reintroduced a harder rock guitar sound into some of their music in the 1990s and it would be a part of their musical palette to some extent forever after, but I never really found any of that stuff to be particularly "heavy" in the hard rock sense; certainly not as heavy as some of the tracks on their first four albums.

So, in order of least to most heavy of the heaviest, here we go:

5. Anthem: The opening and the echoing guitar riff just make this a very heavy hard rocking song, though it's way too mellow in parts to be higher in this list.

4. Bytor and the Snowdog: This is a very hard rocking song; one of the few in Rush's catalogue which one would be hard pressed to argue isn't heavy metal. But as their first full blown experimentation with prog it too often sounds more psychedelic or proggy to rate higher in this list in terms of pure heaviness.

3. Bastille Day: This is basically Rush anticipating Bruce Dickinson era Iron Maiden by 6 years. A heavy song, arguably heavy metal; I can never listen to this song without imagining how it would sound with Bruce Dickinson singing it. But perhaps the Iron Maiden association is driven in part by the fact that it's a song about an historical event and Maiden loves to sing about historical events.

[Would have LOVED to have heard Dickinson fronted Iron Maiden cover this in their prime.]

2. Cygnus X1 (Book I,from FTK): A close contender for the number 1 spot, the heaviest (in the hard rock/heavy metal sense of the term) parts of this song are arguably heavier than anything on 2112, but it's not heavy in enough of the song to rate number 1 in terms of heaviness.

1. 2112: Overture, Temples of Syrinx, and Grand Finale are in my opinion the heaviest and most metal Rush ever got, with the possible exception of Cygnus X1 (Book I, on FTK). The parts of The Presentation when the priests respond are also pretty heavy.

Edited by rftag
  • Like 2

BUMP!

Updated my list:

1. BU2B

2. 2112 Grand Finale

3. Cygnus X-1 Part III

4. Working Man

5. Double Agent

Part III? That better mean they're secretly in the studio now recording Cygnus X-1 Book III and not that you typed more I's than you intended.

1. Cygnus X-1

2. The Necromancer

3. Peaceable Kingdom

4. Stick it Out

5. Virtuality (if you forget about the "net boy, net girl" part)

This was the hardest of the "Top 5 ____ Rush tunes" catagories! There are soooo many others that come to mind! I just went with heaviest riffs! 1022.gif

but i like the "net boy, net girl, send your __ around the world..."