New Genesis News

According to this months Classic Rock, Genesis are enthusiastic about re-staging The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway for a run of shows to be recorded and filmed for a later release.

This would be interesting if they did this, but it's a little strange as Peter Gabriel didn't want to return to past glories, he wanted to be making new material. Hopefully it will happen though!

As long as Collins leaves his brass band at home.

Again, the story that seems to pop up every so often with Genesis: will they or won't they? Read a post there's one story, read Genesis' web site it's another, read a magazine -- yet another.

I will believe it all when I see it, but right now I won't hold my breath. Phil has Tarzan on Broadway, Peter has his studio and projects, Steve has a small solo career overseas, and Tony and Mike are doing... uh, whatever it is they do now...

Besides, they'll have to let out that Slipperman costume quite a bit if Peter's gonna fit into it now sarcasm.gif

QUOTE (Milton Banana @ May 26 2006, 04:45 AM)
Again, the story that seems to pop up every so often with Genesis: will they or won't they? Read a post there's one story, read Genesis' web site it's another, read a magazine -- yet another.

I will believe it all when I see it, but right now I won't hold my breath. Phil has Tarzan on Broadway, Peter has his studio and projects, Steve has a small solo career overseas, and Tony and Mike are doing... uh, whatever it is they do now...

Besides, they'll have to let out that Slipperman costume quite a bit if Peter's gonna fit into it now sarcasm.gif

Fine, spoil our fun tongue.gif

I do believe it will happen, because in all honesty, music-wise, the five of them aren't really doing anything right now.

Wow, I hope this happens.

The thought of hearing Mr Gabriel sing "I've got unexpected distress from my mistress" makes my day!!!

The official website says they are not planning anything this year.....

Start praying people!!

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ May 26 2006, 07:19 AM)

I do believe it will happen, because in all honesty, music-wise, the five of them aren't really doing anything right now.

Shame on you!!!!! biggrin.gif

Peter Gabriel's last album was fantastic, maybe not as consistant as some of his others, but the good stuff was just jaw dropping.

His last soundtrack album , Rabbit Proof Fence, was a virtuoso display of what you can do in the studio if you know your way around it properly - beautiful stuff.

On top of that, a couple of years ago, he put on an amazing theatrical emotional concert.

Personally I think Peter Gabriel should avoid this nostalgafest at all costs. His gift to communicate is as strong as it as has ever been and doesn't need this....

Love

Disco

QUOTE (Moonraker @ May 26 2006, 11:55 AM)
Didnt Gabriel say a while back that if he was going to reunite with Genesis, he wouldnt want it to be a nostalgia trip, that he would want them to write new material? Personally though I would rather see a Gabriel solo tour.

Excellent, Gadzooks! Right from the source. Thank you for this!

Interesting that Phil says he would do it at the "drop of a hat". I did not think that he would be the one so excited about it since he is the member with the fullest plate. Bully for him!

I did not know he was going thru another separation too. That sucks. Hasn't he been married like four times now?

BTW, welcome to the board, Gadzooks!

QUOTE (rushfreak13 @ Sep 13 2006, 06:17 PM)
QUOTE (plodder @ May 25 2006, 06:28 AM)

lol

phil collins brought genesis to its death and continued on making shit music to think he went from supper's ready to invisible touch and sussudio

On the other hand, I personally hold Duke to be one of the absolute greatest albums of all time.

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Sep 13 2006, 07:10 PM)

lol

phil collins brought genesis to its death and continued on making shit music to think he went from supper's ready to invisible touch and sussudio

On the other hand, I personally hold Duke to be one of the absolute greatest albums of all time.

Around 1983, that's when it started to go downhill. Duke and ABACAB are good records.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 13 2006, 08:11 PM)
QUOTE (Kudzu @ Sep 13 2006, 07:10 PM)

lol

Around 1983, that's when it started to go downhill. Duke and ABACAB are good records.

Agreed. Genesis was a bit of hit-and-miss, and it went downhill from there, just producing "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight", "Land of Confusion", and "Fading Lights" as good numbers thereafter.

I love Genesis too!

I have that Classic Rock Magazine where they talk about doing "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" all the way through.

Personally I would fly to England to see that gig if they don't come to California or even the United States. You never know!

I know the gig will happen though!

I know I am new here, but I am an honest guy and I love to write with a sense of humor, but right now I will be serious. This is not bullshit.

I have inside information about the future of Genesis.

I have a friend of mine who is good friends with Phil Collins.

Phil has retired from that "Brass Band Disney Top 40 Chick Flick Ballad Bullshit Banana Tree Tarzan Rope Swinging Pop" for good!

He is looking forward to get back with Genesis!

It's true!

So Phil really is excited about it!

Is Peter??

Who knows about that cat.

I love Gabriel but why the heck does he never do any Genesis tunes on his Tours???

He hates it that much? Or he just wants to move on and stick to his own material??

Genesis is a GREAT BAND!

Earl

Whoa!!! Got to run!!!! "Supper's Ready!!"

QUOTE (rushfreak13 @ Sep 13 2006, 08:17 PM)

lol

Fading Lights was an awesome piece on We Can't Dance

The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway was way too overblown and way too heavy of a concept back in 1974, so I can't get excited about them re-doing it 32 years later. no.gif

Now if they were gonna go doing stuff off of their earlier albums, that's cool, but even still, I can't imagine that these guys in their 60's are gonna match the musicianship and singing quality they did back in the 70's. I really don't see the point here... confused13.gif

For some, maybe it's "Oooooh, I get to see an old band I love perform live!" For me, it would only make me yearn to see them back when they were younger, still making vital new music and were on top of their game. It's like the recent Cream reunion. I won't even watch the DVD. What's the point? To see them preform their old hits as old men with their talent waning? Seeing Pink Floyd at Live8 to me was cool only because of the animosity between Roger and the rest of the band, and they could reunite for a good cause despite all of that. Besides that, they needed a slew of musicians to back them up and the singing was pretty awful.

I think mostly bands should quit while they're ahead, and these reunions 20-30+ years after their great works were recorded is generally a bad idea. But if they enjoy it, and people want to go see it, go for it and have a great time...

You make some very good points Goober.

But selfishly I never got to see Peter in Genesis, so I am hoping for the LAMB. I know they are old men, but if the ROLLING BONES can still do it why not Genesis!

I agree with you on the CREAM reunion shows. I bought the dvd and it is still sealed! LAME!

But hey RUSH did their R30 man and there is no way they are going to hang it up. Sure Geddy has lost the edge on his vocals over the years but they can still play with the best of them in my opinion.

So if the Grateful Dead came out and did a reunion show without Jerry Garcia, you wouldn't go??

What about that POP supergroup ASIA??

They have reformed!!

Howe, Downes, Wetton and Palmer.

I missed those shows too back in their heyday!! I would love to see that reunion!!

Our brand of music is coming to the end. That's life.

It's just too bad that bands like GREEN DAY are the new mainstream "Leaders of the Pack!"

no.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 1287.gif comp26.gif

QUOTE (Moonraker @ May 26 2006, 10:55 AM)
Didnt Gabriel say a while back that if he was going to reunite with Genesis, he wouldnt want it to be a nostalgia trip, that he would want them to write new material? Personally though I would rather see a Gabriel solo tour.

You know its funny, Page and Plant were like that for years too. OK, ok, so do new material, but would it hurt to get together and play stuff from Selling England By The Pound, Lamb, Nursery, etc.? So what, nostaligia? Its also some of the best music they ever put out individually or collectively. Blah on Peter laugh.gif

Archived