Rush In Rio Viewing Party

RushRevisited

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Nov 5 2004, 08:49 PM)
Well, I did it on this side of the Atlantic and now I'm going to bed. Tes RR, I am a cat.gif but I need my schla03.gif .

Enjoy the party trink38.gif , and the music. AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif

BTW, Congrats on the Imminent milestone, oh mighty moderator and great leader.

biggrin.gif

We need to have one of these parties at like 6pm EST some day just to enjoy things with our European friends! sad.gif

trink39.gif

I decided to copy and paste Madra's lonely thread into here... he can be with us tonight in spirit... sad.gif trink39.gif to Madra Sneachta

Posted by: madra sneachta Nov 5 2004, 05:12 PM

Tom Sawyer - Great visuals, not great audio quality. Sometimes, the quick cuts from angle to angle are a bit too MTV for me. Great crowd, and somwe nice knowing looks between the band that shows personal friendship as well as professional respect.

Distant Early Warning - Great atmosphere. Love the clenched fists in time to the rhythm. That Rio crowd was really up for it. Like a gig should be. Geddy's voice in good nick for the final show of a tour.

Posted by: madra sneachta Nov 5 2004, 05:31 PM

Geddy squeals like a cat being castrated, then....

New World Man - Solid version of a good song, Geddy's dancing demsonstrating the importance of good shoes.

Roll the Bones - Was the dancing skeletons video backing amended for R30?. Maybe it's the cutting in and out, but I felt there was more to it live.

First live intro "We'd like to play 1,000 songs (none of which have the initials TCE, and by the way to the person with the 'Play Vapor Trail' banner..........uh oh).....

Earthshine - Alex on backing vocals...not bad at all. I prefer this to the VT version in some ways, the studio version was a bit too heavy on the multi tracking to my mind. You gotta love the "Honest I'm not miming" grin during the OOOOH OOOOOH OO OO OO OOOOOH bit.

Posted by: madra sneachta Nov 5 2004, 06:00 PM

YYZ - No comment necessary. That's the "F*%$ I wish I was there moment".

The Pass - Let's get my sole Rush gripe off my chest. The introductions, such as they are, are so rehearsed and stilted. The Pass obviously means a l;ot to the band. Tell us about it!.

Bravado - Solid version of another good song. Not my favourite Rush song, but better than most of the crap played on radio over here.

The Big Money - Geddy gets into dancing mood again. Love the Simpsons insert at the end, which my kids always get a kick out of.

Posted by: madra sneachta Nov 5 2004, 06:18 PM

The Trees - A "woodsy" little song. Hmmmm. Always been a fave of mine, but I know there was a few people in that audience who owned ESL, and were just waiting for Xanadu to kick on at the end.

Free Will - One of the classics, after The Pass and Bravado slightly muted the audience, this gets the clenched fists back in the air.

Closer to the Heart - Contradicting my earlier comment, I wish Geddy hadn't introduced this. The roar of recognition if it had just kicked in would have been awesome.

Natural Science - Musically flawless, visually stunning, this is the "I wish they'd done it in September" moment. There's a great look of determination on Neil's face towards the end. Obrigados and brain surgery clip, followed by a Brazilian announcer speaking (presumably) in Portuegese. Is it intermission already?. Time to stock up on Pringles.

Posted by: madra sneachta Nov 5 2004, 06:45 PM

Part two of the show -

One Little Victory - Great video intro, Neil must be roasted every night. There's such a vibe of accomplishment in the song, and it realy comes across. We're back and we're on fire!!!.

Driven - They may have been approaching 50 and aeons away from the formative days, but they could still RAWK. Alex's intro blows the cobwebs away, and Geddy turns the bass into a whole new instrument. Nice background visuals as well.

Ghost Rider - Jack Kerouac with electric guitars and less drugs. Great song, evokes the road with a sense of determination.

Secret Touch - Threatens to get a bit lost towards the end, but pulls itself back. Reminds me a bit of Emerald on Thin Lizzy's "Live and Dangerous". (No, I don't knowe why either, but it does!). Some great facial expressions from Alex. Howard's obviously trying to swat a fly on the lighting board, and at one stage, the fly is winning.

Dreamline - Howard launches a full scale laser attack when the fly threatens the stage. Gets it just before the "travel on the road to redemption" line. You can hear it's death screams. Guess that fly was only immortal for a limited....OK, I'm babbling now. "We're on the fly" sings Geddy in jubilation.

Posted by: madra sneachta Nov 5 2004, 07:13 PM

Red Sector A - Powerful stuff, delivered with emotion and obviously appreciated by the crowd.

Leave That Thing Alone - Green light focuses on the keyboard as if to say - It's not a sample, honest. Boys enjoy a kickaround, Nweil flexes his muscles and then

Oh Baterista - WE ARE NOT WORTHY, WE ARE NOT WORTHY

Posted by: madra sneachta Nov 5 2004, 07:49 PM

Resist - I love the acoustic version. Ambient, and welcome relief after Neil's exertions. The stripped down format gives it more depth IMO. The first time I watched RIR was the first time I heard it done that way, and I've loved it ever since.

Overture/Syrinx - The first electronic fart emits from the speakers and every Rush fan immediately salivates liker Pavlov's Dog!!. I've heard discussions about keys being taken down and stuff. Who f***ing cares??. It's 2112 dammit!!.

Limelight - OK, I know I've drummed out of my skin for eight minutes. Stop looking at me.

La Villa Strangiato - Great playing, then the rant. How rehearsed is it?. I don't know. I get the feeling that Alex shoots Neil a look when he finishes and that pronounced tatoo on the drums is the signal to slip back into the tune. A sign of how well they bounce off each other.

The Spirit of Radio - I'm a bit disappointed there's not more crowd reaction during the "concert halls" bit. At the end "We hope to come back soon sometime". Is it sometime or soon????.

By-Tor and the Snowdog - Great visuals, thankfully it can be accessed in full during "The Boys in Brazil". Nice interplay between the three, although Geddy's attempt to feign a face slap is girly in the extreme. Cue the bell and into

Cygnus X-1 Book 1 (Chapters 2 and 3) - I'd love to hear Geddy sing a bit of this. "Like a spiral sea unending". I think not, somehow. Instead, let's finish with a snatch of

Working Man - Did Geddy think in '74 he'd be singing this in 2002??. Why not indeed. A classic to finish on, chuck in a few more Obrigado's and then run to the van. I'm off for another ice cold beer. Hope the American party goes well. Goodnight all.

Let me know when to start it up

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Nov 5 2004, 10:03 PM)
Man, I had forgotten how damn loud those Brazillians are. You would need earplugs just to be waiting before the show started.

yes.gif What an awesome audience - the perfect place to put out a production like this.

Would a chat room be easier, to keep in synch w/ each other?

sorreh im late folks....now im all kindsa out of time with y'all hehe laugh.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 5 2004, 10:04 PM)
Would a chat room be easier, to keep in synch w/ each other?

I find the chat room hard to read/catch up while watching the video - this way you can just refresh as you wish when you wish and miss nothing... anyone else?

I'll take your word on this. I'm not a chat room/forum person. This is a first for me. Staying here is not a problem. No worries. I have my vodka, Rush, and you fine folks.

Archived