YYZ

rickyrob

We all know that the famous instrumental YYZ is named after Toronto Airport, but why is the code for Toronto YYZ? On further investigation it appears all Canadian airports are coded Y**, but why?? S'cuse the pun. Most other airports around the world have codes that reflect the name of the airport, but not in Canada it seems.

Anyone any ideas? confused13.gif

Between Sun and... moon.gif

I found this:

29. Toronto Pearson International Airport Toronto, Ontario Canada (YYZ) 25,930,363

The 29th busiest Airport in the world.. But when I searched for YYZ or Toronto I came up with nothing... Oh well, what does it really matter..

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Nov 4 2004, 04:22 PM)
I found this:

29. Toronto Pearson International Airport Toronto, Ontario Canada (YYZ) 25,930,363

The 29th busiest Airport in the world.. But when I searched for YYZ or Toronto I came up with nothing... Oh well, what does it really matter..

That's weird. Perhaps their search engine is messed up or something. I wonder why that is... confused13.gif

QUOTE (ES-335 @ Nov 4 2004, 03:20 PM)
many airports have codes that do not make sense from the surface ... O'hare is ORD not CHI ... it came from "Or"chard "F"ield

here is a nice link

http://www.skygod.com/asstd/abc.html

Sure, just look at SFO in San Francisco. Named after Salty Fuzzy Oranges. Or BWI in Baltimore, named after Beltching White Inmates

QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Dec 4 2011, 09:27 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Dec 4 2011, 10:23 PM)
Orlando.  MCO.  Huh?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlando_International_Airport

Interesting.

Coming from Orlando it's well known (amongst those of us who know) that MCO stands for McCoy Airforce base.

But of course... those who know... know.... laugh.gif

QUOTE (ES-335 @ Nov 4 2004, 07:20 PM)
many airports have codes that do not make sense from the surface ... O'hare is ORD not CHI ... it came from "Or"chard "F"ield

here is a nice link

http://www.skygod.com/asstd/abc.html

Within this link I found the explanation if this helps: The Canadians made off with all the remaining 'Y codes which helps explain YUL for Montreal, YYC for Calgary, etc. (The start of the song YYZ by the band Rush is the Morse code for the letters Y Y Z. Rush is from Toronto.)

Every airport on the planet has an internationally (IATA) recognised 3 letter code and every scheduled airline has a two letter code: AA/American Airlines, AE/Aer Lingus, BA/British Airways etc. Charted flights will normally have a 3 letter code in front of the flight number.

QUOTE (rinty @ Nov 4 2004, 04:13 PM)
Have a look here

Here it is:

Airport Name: Lester B. Pearson International. Country Abbrev: CA. World Area Code: 905. Airport Code: YYZ.

Look in Airport Details Ordered By Country Name.

If you really want to get technical.

It's actually. CYYZ.

All canadian airports have C at the beginning, According to the flight logs I have sitting here.

Orlando and Tampa are KMCO and KTPA, respectively.

Columbus, GA. is KCSG

Dulles, is KIAD

Pittsburgh is KPITT.

So on and so forth. I'm not even using a website, I just know this stuff off the top of my head from the countless hours in the simulator.

Edited by D3strukt

What's all the fuss??...

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k433/dad2trips/YYZFAN.jpg

tongue.gif

I actually fly into YQB often. However, I prefer YYZ!!