Real Rush Fans?

Slacker

O.K I "ll start it off.1978, I heard them for the first time.. On WPLJ N.Y.C..(Scot Munie)" CLOSER TO THE HEART ".Told my brother ,Who by the way was a new wave boy new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif The Cars, David Bowie,then there was Queen(cool).He hated 2.gif ..But he took me to my first 2.gif concert.He still can"t admit he likes them.. pokey.gif ANY ONE ELSE?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First heard TSOR in 1980, was a big fan of what was then called the "New Wave of British Heabvy metal" - Iron Maiden, Saxon, Judas Priest etc, as well as Thin Lizzy, Horslips (Celtic rock band), AC/DC, Purple, Skynyrd, Zeppelin, Sabbath et al.

Bought Permanent Waves in '81, realised I had found the band I was looking for - killer riffs, quality musicianship and intelligent lyrics. Moving Pictures confirmed that in spades, and by '82, I had the entire back catelogue.

First live gig was last September, but they've never played Ireland (where I live), so I have a good excuse.

Yep...My big bro is reponsible for getting me into Rush. First album was 'All the world's a stage. The reason I got this was because I had bought my brother (for Christmas) Lynyrd Skynyrd Gold & Platinum (double vinyl album - yes vinyl !!). So he got wind of this and the only double album he could see for me in the shop was ATWAS!!

I was into Thin Lizzy (1st concert, Belfast Whitla Hall), Zep, Purple, Hendrix, Clapton at this point but ATWAS just blew my mind - Rush have been everything musical to me since. That was about '79 and I'm now approaching 39 - you work it out! tongue.gif

I've seen them 3 times only. sad.gif

My brother went to Toronto soon after and brought me back the 12" single of 'Spirit with Trees/Working man - still got it biggrin.gif but can't play it now!!

GeddyFinal.gif AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif

When MP came out, I heard Limelight and really liked it. It was about a year later when I really started to become serious about musicianship, when I fell for Rush. Masters of their crafts to be sure 2.gif 1022.gif

I first heard the boys in 1977 on the radio. The station played "Fly By Night/In the Mood" from ATWAS and "that was all she wrote", as the expression goes. I was immediately hooked, and even more floored to learn they were a trio. First album I got was ATWAS, followed by 2112 and then the first 3 records.

My first show was in 1979 on the Semi-spheres PW Warm-Up tour. Then it was 1990 before I saw them again.

I sort of tuned out for a while. Then I came to the realization that of all my musical choices, I kept coming back to these guys.

Then I won "Rush in Rio" from the local radio station, found the Rush message board, got to know some real cool folks 653.gif , and now my life is complete. smile.gif laugh.gif

I saw them twice on the R30 tour (wish it had been more).

My total shows is now 4 (ONLY sad.gif )

NEXT TOUR.................... 1022.gif Watch out for the BSG, coming to a town near you. bsg.gif common001.gif

My boyfriend listened to Rush in college...the first time I really noticed how unique they were was when I heard "Xanadu" and recognized the Coleridge poem. I "tolerated" them for a while, then we went to see them in '96 (T4E Tour) and I was very impressed by their talent after seeing them live.

THEN...fast forward to 2002, I picked up my spouse's abandoned copy of Ghost Rider, read it in a single weekend, and then started listening to Vapor Trails with new ears. I was hooked. Now I'm a more of a fan than my husband. I saw them once on the R30 Tour with him (opening night in Nashville) then went on my own to Vegas and RCMH to see them twice more and hang out with my Rush family. smile.gif

[sigh] I really have to do this, eh? ok.

My first introduction to Rush was at the local roller skating rink in 1981. Shut up. Back then it was cool, and I was only 12. They played Tom Sawyer a lot. Couldn't get enough of it. Then the DJ at the rink started playing Limelight. That was it! My buddy and I both went out and bought Moving Pictures. I had the LP and he had the cassette. We played the SH*T out of it. Every song was blasted on our ghetto blasters (which weighed 150 pounds). BTW I got my first french kiss at the rink while on line to get in. cool.gif

Soon after that I bought 2112 simply because I heard that was THE Rush album to have. I was HUGE into The Twilight Zone back then. Anyway, I got really into both of those albums, but that was the extent of my Rush collection until someone GAVE me their Signals album because they never listened to it. That was in 1983. I never listened beyond Subdivisions. Again... shut up (my epiphany didn't happen until 1991).

Then in 1989 when Presto was released, Show Don't Tell was all over the radio and I flipped out on it. "Wow, that band Rush is back after all these years? They're still around?" Bought Presto on CD. OMG I was out of my mind with that CD, but still..... only listened to that and the above mentioned.

Then.... Roll The Bones was released in 1991. After about two weeks of owning that CD, I bought Chronicles. And that, my friends.... broke down the walls. I've never been the same since.

2.gif AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif 2.gif

I've told this story on a number of occasions so, what the hell -

I first came across Rush in late '79. I had just started getting into Rock music and, like Madra, was into the NWOBHM as well as older stuff like Slade, Sweet, Genesis (Gabriel era) and Eagles. My sister came home and told me that someone had given her a tape of this band called Rush. So I listened to it. And hated it.

It was a really poor quality copy of Hemispheres. There was no bass, half of Alex's guitar was missing and practically all you could of the drums was the cymbals. In addition to this, Ged's voice sounded about two octaves higher than they really are. To cap things off, the tape hiss made it sound like you were listening to it on Radio Luxembourg on a stormy night (anyone from the UK who's done this will know what I mean).

A few weeks later she came home with another album by the same band, this time on vinyl. Initially reluctant, she persuaded me to give it a try. The album was 2112 and I was totally blown away. Not so long after, after the New Year, Spirit of Radio came out and I took another step to total Rush freakdom.

I think the final, irretrievable step came in 1981, when I was 14, when I went, along with my two brothers and a group of friends, to Wembley Arena to see them on the Exit...Stage Left Tour.

I was sitting in homeroom one morning my sophmore year waiting to be let out so we could go to tech and the kid that sat in front of me asked me if I had ever heard of a band called 2.gif . I had heard of them, but had never heard them (or at least knowing it was them). He hands me his copy of Retrospective I and says "you'll like the drummer." Spirit of Radio came on and I was hooked.

QUOTE (esmeralda @ Nov 3 2004, 03:46 PM)
In 1979 I heard Closer to the heart for the first time, it was so beautiful.
From that moment on I am a Rush-fan. Saw them in 1982 and 1983, and at last after so many years on October 1 this year in Rotterdam.
Hop this is not the last time...

Did you ever see the Trailor Park Boys episode titled "Closer to the Heart" where Alex lifeson gust stars? VERY funny and HIGHLY recommended (If very foul language does not bother you laugh.gif )

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Nov 3 2004, 03:48 PM)
QUOTE (esmeralda @ Nov 3 2004, 03:46 PM)
In 1979 I heard Closer to the heart for the first time, it was so beautiful.
From that moment on I am a Rush-fan.  Saw them in 1982 and 1983, and at last after so many years on October 1 this year in Rotterdam.
Hop this is not the last time...

Did you ever see the Trailor Park Boys episode titled "Closer to the Heart" where Alex lifeson gust stars? VERY funny and HIGHLY recommended (If very foul language does not bother you laugh.gif )

I'm gonna have to check it out biggrin.gif

QUOTE (esmeralda @ Nov 3 2004, 03:55 PM)
No, I have never seen that episode. It is hard to find, hear or see anything of Rush. I'm glad that there is the internet to find all those things.

That's very true. The internet is where I get all my information about Rush. That's basically the only place YOU CAN find stuff about them, which sucks.

First post for me. bekloppt.gif

First heard them in '86 - a college friend gave me a copy of Grace Under Pressure and I was hooked.

By the time Hold Your Fire came out, I had most of the back catalogue and saw them fo rthe first time on the HYF tour at Birmingham NEC.

Seen them everytime they've graced our shores since - and Manchester was way better than Birmingham in September 1022.gif

QUOTE (rinty @ Nov 4 2004, 04:28 AM)
Seen them everytime they've graced our shores since - and Manchester was way better than Birmingham in September 1022.gif

Totally agree there rinty....but both shows were still SUPERB!! and long awaited

Totally agree there rinty....but both shows were still SUPERB!! and long awaited

Took my 12 year old son to Manchester for his first ever concert. Can't think of a better way to introduce him to live music.

He was impressed new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

How about this for the worst photo taken at a concert (phone camera):

http://www.danbex.f9.co.uk/photos/phone%20camera%20pics/rush%20-%20manc%203.jpg

QUOTE (rinty @ Nov 4 2004, 04:28 AM)
First post for me. bekloppt.gif

First heard them in '86 - a college friend gave me a copy of Grace Under Pressure and I was hooked.

By the time Hold Your Fire came out, I had most of the back catalogue and saw them fo rthe first time on the HYF tour at Birmingham NEC.

Welcome! trink39.gif

lets see...my first exposure to Rush....

I was sitting in the backseat of my brothers Plymouth Fury on my way home from middle school (junior high - but in Wellesley they call it middle school - dont ask, i never even found out why tongue.gif ), and he threw in Hemispheres....suddenly the car was filled with La Villa Strangiato AlexFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif ...now, being a child at heart, and loving cartoons, I remember thinking that "Monsters!" sounded very similar to an episode of Bugs Bunny that I had seen...the one with the funny looking hairy monster with red shoes? ( bsg.gif (hehe u know i luv ya bsg wink.gif ) I'll understand if u dont know what I'm talking about, hehehe laugh.gif . But the music that's played in "Monsters!" sounds very similar to the chase scene in that episode wink.gif . But once La Villa was done and the tape ended, I just kinda looked at my brother confused13.gif and said..."um, are you going to flip the tape over?" wub.gif I SO wanted to hear more....and I've been blissfully hooked ever since trink38.gif

QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Nov 4 2004, 01:47 PM)
I remember thinking that "Monsters!" sounded very similar to an episode of Bugs Bunny that I had seen...the one with the funny looking hairy monster with red shoes?

http://www.jenn98.com/bugs/images/bugs-n-gossamer.jpg

BB is my hero. One correction. The monster is red. His shoes are white. laugh.gif

Archived