MONTROSE

To be honest, i'm not a real big Sammy Hagar fan. I don't like his solo stuff and I HATE VanHagar. BUT... if i'm not mistaken, his first album was with a band called MONTROSE. Ronnie Montrose on guitar and Denny Carmassi (Heart) on drums. I can't remember the bass players name. The first side of this album was AWESOME. The second side was good, but didn't compare to the brilliance of the first side.

So... have any of you heard it? AND... does anyone have it? I can't find it anywhere. I have it on album, but I'm not buying a new phonograph for five songs.

lol, my Mom had some Montrose album but I cant remember which one it was, I think it had a red cover. Man I havent heard that name in forever.

I hated Hagar... still do. My buddy was a big fan and his older brother, the same guy that gave me cassette copies of all my first rush albums, had the Montrose debut. My buddy heard it and said i'd be blown away. I was skeptical cuz i just do NOT like much about Hagar. So I gave it a shot, and he was right. It was awesome. Ronnie Montrose is an AWESOME guitar player. I remember some of his other stuff with Gamma was pretty good too.

Unfortunately Montrose sucked eggs without Hagar and made some really bad followup albums. Total shame. sad.gif

But that debut could go down in history as one of the best A sides of an album ever.

Thanks for the pm's guys. I should soon have a copy of this long missed work. I can't understand why none of these tunes are played on any classic rock stations. confused13.gif `

QUOTE (Moonraker @ May 17 2006, 08:34 PM)
I havent seen them, but they are a bay area band and do a lot of local shows every once and a while.

Really? Is it Ronnie Montrose? I didn't even know if he was still alive to be honest.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ May 18 2006, 03:44 PM)
QUOTE (Moonraker @ May 17 2006, 08:34 PM)
I havent seen them, but they are a bay area band and do a lot of local shows every once and a while.

Really? Is it Ronnie Montrose? I didn't even know if he was still alive to be honest.

Yup, still alive and kicking.

It actually looks like tonight they are playing in NYC. Pulled this list of tourdates off ronniemontrose.com

May 27th St. Louis, MO American Rib

May 20th Annapolis, MD Rams Head Tavern

May 19th Ridgefield, CT The Ridgefield Playhouse

May 18th New York, NY B.B. King Blues Club & Grill

Also looks like earlier this year, they played a number of bars in the east bay.

I had a cassette copy ages ago, no idea what happened to that.

I saw the first Van Hagar tour, in NJ, and was pleasantly shocked when they played "Rock Candy". Highlight of the show for me.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ May 17 2006, 03:37 PM)
To be honest, i'm not a real big Sammy Hagar fan. I don't like his solo stuff and I HATE VanHagar. BUT... if i'm not mistaken, his first album was with a band called MONTROSE. Ronnie Montrose on guitar and Denny Carmassi (Heart) on drums. I can't remember the bass players name. The first side of this album was AWESOME. The second side was good, but didn't compare to the brilliance of the first side.

So... have any of you heard it? AND... does anyone have it? I can't find it anywhere. I have it on album, but I'm not buying a new phonograph for five songs.

The bass player was Bill Church. The first Montrose album kicked ass! 1022.gif

Great album. I have it and the follow up, "Paper Money" also featuring The vocal talents of Sammy Hagar. The third album, "Warner Bros. Presents" was good, but not up to the standards of Hagar's era.....I'm still looking for a CD of that third album. Had a few Choice cuts on it....

1022.gif

bumper.gif

I was going to start a thread, but found this.

This came up on my ipod today, the first album, and i forgot how much it kicks ass. Love it! Great production. Ive read that this was the template for the first Van Halen album, with Ted Templman and Donn Landee involved.

Any other fans of this great early 70s hard rock monster?..

Absolutely!

One of the greatest albums ever made!

I hate Sammy Hagar in Van Halen, but I dig the two Montrose albums. Don't forget about "Paper Money."

I also love Sammy's early Capital Records solo stuff.

I actually like the Chickenfoot shit too even though it is quite commercial.

Then again, I am a Joe Satriani Whore!

Here are my TOP TEN ALBUMS OF ALL TIME today:

1. Rush "Hemispheres"

2. The Who "Quadrophenia"

3. Porcupine Tree "In Absentia"

4. Steely Dan "Aja"

5. Guns N' Roses "Appetite For Destruction"

6. Accept "Restless And Wild"

7. Genesis "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway"

8. Marillion "Clutching At Straws"

9. Joe Satriani "Surfing With The Alien"

10. MONTROSE!

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Feb 20 2010, 12:40 AM)

1.  Rush "Hemispheres"
2.  The Who "Quadrophenia"
3.  Porcupine Tree "In Absentia"
4.  Steely Dan "Aja"
5.  Guns N' Roses "Appetite For Destruction"
6.  Accept "Restless And Wild"
7.  Genesis "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway"
8.  Marillion "Clutching At Straws"
9.  Joe Satriani "Surfing With The Alien"
10.  MONTROSE!

No Yes? For reals? laugh.gif

but seriously...

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Feb 19 2010, 10:59 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Feb 20 2010, 12:40 AM)

1.  Rush "Hemispheres"
2.  The Who "Quadrophenia"
3.  Porcupine Tree "In Absentia"
4.  Steely Dan "Aja"
5.  Guns N' Roses "Appetite For Destruction"
6.  Accept "Restless And Wild"
7.  Genesis "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway"
8.  Marillion "Clutching At Straws"
9.  Joe Satriani "Surfing With The Alien"
10.  MONTROSE!

No Yes? For reals? laugh.gif

but seriously...

HAHAHAHA!!! laugh.gif

You are funny buddy!! You caught me out of my YES MODE!!

I should have included "The Yes Album."

Maybe tomorrow!!

Lists do change everyday!!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Feb 19 2010, 11:20 PM)

This came up on my ipod today, the first album, and i forgot how much it kicks ass. Love it! Great production. Ive read that this was the template for the first Van Halen album, with Ted Templman and Donn Landee involved.

Any other fans of this great early 70s hard rock monster?..

I just put this one on my iPod the other day, it is a forgotten gem. A great album that everyone forgets about, but when reminded will say what a great record it is.

Someone wrote in Classic Rock "if aliens came to earth and asked what Rock n Roll is I'd give them the first Montrose album" - not sure if that would be my choice but it's an interesting thought.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Feb 19 2010, 10:40 PM)
Absolutely!

One of the greatest albums ever made!
I hate Sammy Hagar in Van Halen, but I dig the two Montrose albums. Don't forget about "Paper Money."

I also love Sammy's early Capital Records solo stuff.
I actually like the Chickenfoot shit too even though it is quite commercial.
Then again, I am a Joe Satriani Whore!

1. Rush "Hemispheres"
2. The Who "Quadrophenia"
3. Porcupine Tree "In Absentia"
4. Steely Dan "Aja"
5. Guns N' Roses "Appetite For Destruction"
6. Accept "Restless And Wild"
7. Genesis "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway"
8. Marillion "Clutching At Straws"
9. Joe Satriani "Surfing With The Alien"
10. MONTROSE!

Earl I went digging for my vinyl as I have an old Hagar album. It's self-titled and both slides of the album sleeve are red based on the song I'm sure. My ex was supposed to get this when we broke up oh, well tongue.gif

The one with "Bad Motor Scooter?" I've got that one. I didn't know I was allowed not to have it. I loved Sammy Van Halen...solo...eh...not so much, but Montrose was some very nice Sammy. Very nice.

I have Scooter Gennett on my Baseball Fantasy Team! Are you fuckking kidding me kids?

Do you know the name of my Fantasy Team????

Come on boyz I know you know it!!

BAD MOTOR SCOOTER!

LOL!

The first "Montrose" album is one of the greatest rock records in WORLD HISTORY!!!