Question for Rush fans who like Tool...

chaostrophy

Ok, I really hope this is an appropriate place to post this question...I couldn't figure out where else to post it. I've asked this question several times in different Tool and Rush forums and no one seems to know what the hell I'm talking about...

On Tool's 2001 album 'Lateralus', track 8 is a song called "Ticks & Leeches". About halfway through the song, there's a slow section (kind of like a "middle 32") with clean guitar & bass and assorted syncopated toms and light cymbal. Very low, in the background, I'm hearing a sample from AFTK's "Cygnus X-1"...the part where the rocket takes off and Geddy sings "To soar..." and it echoes away.

A. has anyone else ever heard this in Tool's song?

B. if so, am I correct in thinking it's a Rush sample?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Have no idea, I havent really heard much tool, sorry. Does Rush appear on the thank you section on the Lateralus insert? Metallica did the same thing when they borrowed Tom Sawyer for Sanatarium for Master of Puppets I know, thanked Geddy, Alex, and Neil by name.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Nov 5 2004, 01:11 AM)
Does Rush appear on the thank you section on the Lateralus insert?

No, there's no mention of Rush in the credits. The credits are pretty limited as with most Tool releases.

> think I may have heard that once or twice, but I'm not too sure. Sorry about that, but I can't help you out there. Maybe you can see if there is a Tool forum like TRF. They might have some answers for you.

I've tried all the Tool forums I could stand. smile.gif Oh well.

Thanks for the replies!

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Nov 5 2004, 01:11 AM)
Have no idea, I havent really heard much tool, sorry. Does Rush appear on the thank you section on the Lateralus insert? Metallica did the same thing when they borrowed Tom Sawyer for Sanatarium for Master of Puppets I know, thanked Geddy, Alex, and Neil by name.

Moon u should check out Tool especially if u like Progressive style music...it's dark and gloomy stuff but very creative

No, I doubt its a Rush sample. Ticks and Leeches has a lot of whispering/effects going on. From what I know about Danny Carey's drumset, I'm about 95% sure it was a triggered effect on one of his electronic drums.

I don't hear anything as I'm listening to it now.

I have a huge amount of respect for both of these bands so here is a short story for you all. Both bands were playing in Massachusetts on the same night and I of course went to see Rush. During pre-show at Rush, Tool's Aenima was played over the PA. I learned on one of Tool's websites that Adam Jones played the main guitar riff of A Passage to Bangkok at the beginning of their show. Sort of a Master/Teacher, Teacher/Master thing. Cool!

Archived