Permanent Waves

rickyrob

I have ONLY just noticed this and prompted me to a litle more research.

As a great deal of Rush fans probably already know (but I didn't until I looked), the headline on the newspaper reads "Dewei defeats Truman" on my vinyl LP cover(owned since it was released in '79), but it does not appear on my CD version. I beleive it originally said "Dewey defeats Truman" and is something to do with the presidential election of 1948 (topical)

Anyone any more info on this. I also beleive that the words "Coca Cola" were removed as well..

AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif

It was removed by the request of the Chicago Daily Tribune.

"There are always the inevitable last minute crises, such as the Chicago Daily Tribune being still so embarrassed about their 'Dewey defeats Truman' error of more than thirty years ago that they actually refused to let us use it on the cover!" - Neil Peart, in the Permanent Waves tourbook

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Nov 2 2004, 04:56 PM)
On my Permanent Waves album, it has "neil" "geddy" and "alex" printed on signs in the backround.  Anyone notice this?  yes.gif or no.gif

Yep... yes.gif Mine says "Lee" "Lifeson" and "Peart" on the buildings to the right of the rather nice looking lady. Who is she anyway? Not as good looking as the girl they had singing on 'Time Stand Still' tho'...phew! wub.gif ...and who's the guy leaning against the "Walk" sign trying to catch her attention?

blah.gif I just went through my collection of LP's and discovered that very first 2.gif album I bought: Permanent Waves. I allways wondered what they had done to the cover. On my copy you can only read Lifeson on one of the buidlings. The other names (as I know they where there) are somehow erased. When you take a close look you see they are covered with black dots. The same story for the newspaper: the name of the paper and the headline are erased (these are covered with white dots).

This LP was printed in the Netherlands.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Nov 5 2004, 07:21 PM)
With regard to the Permanent Waves cover, let me quote from an interview with designer Hugh Syme:

Q: Permanent Waves is one of the all-time classic rock 'n'roll covers. How did it come about?

A: Permanent Waves is the result of a conversation which I had with Neil out at his home in the country. We spoke all evening about Rush growing up, and how we were going to do these EKG readings of each member as they were recording. We were going to tape their temples and chests and have real heartbeats of them while they were playing. So Permanent Waves was going to be a technical statement, and we were going to treat that with red and gold foil, and do a nice study in design- as opposed to a photographic thing.
I walked out and, in the doorway, said "Wait! Let's try something with Donna Reed, with her permanent Toni hairdo, and have her walking out of a tidal wave situation.
Neil gave me this blank look and said, "Get out of here."
The following day, he asked me to consider doing just that because he'd discussed it with the band, and they'd all thought it was more likely for a cover than the serious approach.
Q: Were there many problems to overcome?

A: We shot the newspaper with the headline "Dewey Defeats Truman," which now looks like "(Arabic)-Daily-(Arabic)," because we got a threat from the legal people at the Chicago Tribune, who are still embarrassed about their over-anxious printing of that headline.

Q: I noticed that the "Y” in "Dewey" has been changed to an "I" in the headline.

A: That's because anything that pertains to that headline, according to the Chicago Tribune, is an embarrassment, and is subject to litigation if we were to print up any facet of it.
To boot, Coca-Cola asked that we strip out their billboard way off in the background because it was too close to a cotton-clad mons pubis.

Q: Who's the smiling gent leaning next to the crosswalk sign?

A: None of your business!

Finally two points to add.

Firstly, in case you're not aware, Aimee Mann was also features in an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, playing at the Bronze.

Second - I want to know who the girl on the cover is too.

Ahhh, so they are cotton! .. tongue.gif

That was my next question... drool1.gif

'twas obviously a very windy day.

This cover is probably my favorite of all time. I fell in love with Rush and the girl on the cover at precisely the same time. Love to have it in poster form.

QUOTE (Neil Bird @ Nov 5 2004, 09:14 AM)
blah.gif I just went through my collection of LP's and discovered that very first 2.gif album I bought: Permanent Waves. I allways wondered what they had done to the cover. On my copy you can only read Lifeson on one of the buidlings. The other names (as I know they where there) are somehow erased. When you take a close look you see they are covered with black dots. The same story for the newspaper: the name of the paper and the headline are erased (these are covered with white dots).
This LP was printed in the Netherlands.

I must have the same LP, it was also printed in the Netherlands, ofcourse, because I live there.

Archived