Wow!

pedro2112

At around 4:00pm central time today, the local rock station here in north central Illinois played "The Big Wheel" by Rush. I can't ever recal hearing that song on the radio before.

wierd.....

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Nov 1 2004, 07:10 PM)
At around 4:00pm central time today, the local rock station here in north central Illinois played "The Big Wheel" by Rush. I can't ever recal hearing that song on the radio before.

wierd.....

That is strange....email the station and congratulate them!

I remember a long time ago the local classic rock station -- a station not known for playing songs longer than five minutes that aren't named "Stairway To Heaven" or "Freebird" -- played "Xanadu!" I was in my car and almost floored the gas in excitement! Finally, some props for the boys! Finally, this station was playing a Rush song that wasn't named "Tom Sawyer" or "The Spirit Of Radio." I'm cruising along, using my steering wheel as a drum kit throughout the whole instrumental opening, still not believing my ears. The song gets to the quiet part just before the vocals come in....but instead of hearing Geddy sing "To seek the sacred river Alph," I hear the idiot DJ say, "That was Xanadu from Rush. That was by special request from blah blah..." ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif Are....you.....f***ing.....KIDDING ME??? They faded the song out right before the vocals!

You can't make this stuff up, folks...

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 1 2004, 08:42 PM)
I remember a long time ago the local classic rock station -- a station not known for playing songs longer than five minutes that aren't named "Stairway To Heaven" or "Freebird" -- played "Xanadu!" I was in my car and almost floored the gas in excitement! Finally, some props for the boys! Finally, this station was playing a Rush song that wasn't named "Tom Sawyer" or "The Spirit Of Radio." I'm cruising along, using my steering wheel as a drum kit throughout the whole instrumental opening, still not believing my ears. The song gets to the quiet part just before the vocals come in....but instead of hearing Geddy sing "To seek the sacred river Alph," I hear the idiot DJ say, "That was Xanadu from Rush. That was by special request from blah blah..."  ohmy.gif  ohmy.gif  ohmy.gif  ohmy.gif  ohmy.gif  ohmy.gif  Are....you.....f***ing.....KIDDING ME??? They faded the song out right before the vocals!

Heinous! new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

And another illustration as to just WHY I never listen to radio anymore.

QUOTE (BSG @ Nov 2 2004, 01:51 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 1 2004, 08:42 PM)
I remember a long time ago the local classic rock station -- a station not known for playing songs longer than five minutes that aren't named "Stairway To Heaven" or "Freebird" -- played "Xanadu!" I was in my car and almost floored the gas in excitement! Finally, some props for the boys! Finally, this station was playing a Rush song that wasn't named "Tom Sawyer" or "The Spirit Of Radio." I'm cruising along, using my steering wheel as a drum kit throughout the whole instrumental opening, still not believing my ears. The song gets to the quiet part just before the vocals come in....but instead of hearing Geddy sing "To seek the sacred river Alph," I hear the idiot DJ say, "That was Xanadu from Rush. That was by special request from blah blah..."  ohmy.gif  ohmy.gif  ohmy.gif  ohmy.gif  ohmy.gif  ohmy.gif  Are....you.....f***ing.....KIDDING ME??? They faded the song out right before the vocals!

Heinous! new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

And another illustration as to just WHY I never listen to radio anymore.

Thank heaven for in car CD changers. There are no words to describe the crime outlined by 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 there. I don't usually advocate violence as a solution, but in this case, the DJ is on the right - waffen093.gif ohmy.gif

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Nov 1 2004, 07:41 PM)
That's sweet. A local radio station here by my house plays Rush all the time. It's a classic rock station and it rocks. Anyone else have stations like that? 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

Yes, that station plays Rush a lot. Most of the standards (TS, FW, CTTH, etc..) plus some of the "classics" (2112, Xanadu, etc..). But I"ve never ever heard "The Big Wheel" before on the radio.. anywhere. Has anyone else?

Coincidentally, "Xanadu" was the first Rush song I ever heard, thanks to WPLJ ("New York's Best Rock") in 1979.

QUOTE (chaostrophy @ Nov 1 2004, 10:34 PM)
Coincidentally, "Xanadu" was the first Rush song I ever heard, thanks to WPLJ ("New York's Best Rock") in 1979.

OMG - I remember the days when PLJ was NY's premier rock station.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 1 2004, 10:44 PM)

OMG - I remember the days when PLJ was NY's premier rock station.

103.9 WRCN on LI was the station that cut short "Xanadu" that day. Man that station sucked! I'm not even sure if it's still on the air.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Nov 1 2004, 06:10 PM)

wierd.....

hey pedro what station? i live in northern illionois. was it the loop? they play rush all the time. never heard the big wheel.

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Nov 1 2004, 10:38 PM)
Welcome to the board!  trink39.gif

Thanks. It's good to find other Rush fanatics online. I was disappointed by the newsgroup alt.music.rush. Too much politics, not enough Rush talk.

QUOTE (Red_Sector_Man @ Nov 2 2004, 01:43 AM)
Theres one Radio here in brazil called Kiss FM that plays Rush and others classical bands, everytime they put Tom Sawyer, Fly By Night, Closer To The Heart...Working its good to hear this radio!! yes.gif

Np: Saxon - Dallas 1 pm

Wow, really?? We have Kiss FM in Finland, as well, and it only plays contemporary hit music = 95% of it is crap, in other words.

The day those guys decide to play Rush, is the day the world will come to and end! laugh.gif

I've yet to hear Rush on radio... It's extremely rare to hear it here in Finland. Then again, I very rarely listen to the radio anyway... Hail cd's!

QUOTE (earthshiner @ Nov 2 2004, 02:25 AM)
QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Nov 1 2004, 06:10 PM)

wierd.....

hey pedro what station? i live in northern illionois. was it the loop? they play rush all the time. never heard the big wheel.

No, it wasn't a Chicago station.

Wow WPLJ...that was a long time ago..If you listen to Q104 last week in work about 11pm i couldn"t be leave what i heard...here agan...no shit .. it was on for about 2mins my cell phone started ringing...just a few of my friends letting me know what was playing... yes.gif

A local rock station used to do a charity request drive. You give $ and they'll play the song you request. I called and asked how much to play "The Camera Eye", well, obviously they didn't have a clue what the song was and asked me to hold. They came back about 3 or 4 minutes later and said $500! Other "staple" classic rock songs were going for 20 bucks. I then asked them how much for SOR, and they said $50, still higher than normal, I told 'em ok and gave 'em my info, but it still ticks me off that it seemed to cost more to play Rush than Zep or the Stones or the Who, etc. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Nov 2 2004, 04:09 PM)
A local rock station used to do a charity request drive. You give $ and they'll play the song you request. I called and asked how much to play "The Camera Eye", well, obviously they didn't have a clue what the song was and asked me to hold. They came back about 3 or 4 minutes later and said $500! Other "staple" classic rock songs were going for 20 bucks. I then asked them how much for SOR, and they said $50, still higher than normal, I told 'em ok and gave 'em my info, but it still ticks me off that it seemed to cost more to play Rush than Zep or the Stones or the Who, etc. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Oooh, that story made me laugh for the first time today! icon_really_happy_guy.gif

Look at it this way: quality costs. wink.gif

Archived