24 replies to this topic

#1 pedro2112

pedro2112

The Quasi-Mexican

• Members *
  • 7890 posts
  • Interests:Lawn Furniture and antique phlegm jars

Posted 01 November 2004 - 06:10 PM

At around 4:00pm central time today, the local rock station here in north central Illinois played "The Big Wheel" by Rush. I can't ever recal hearing that song on the radio before.

wierd.....

Sponsored Post

#2 Sweetmiracle

Sweetmiracle

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1017 posts
  • Interests:RUSH, reading, dancing, chasing kids, laundry(NOT!)

Posted 01 November 2004 - 06:18 PM

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Nov 1 2004, 07:10 PM)
At around 4:00pm central time today, the local rock station here in north central Illinois played "The Big Wheel" by Rush. I can't ever recal hearing that song on the radio before.

wierd.....

That is strange....email the station and congratulate them!  

#3 NeilPeartFan2112

NeilPeartFan2112

The Analog Kid - Neil's Youngest Protégé

• Members *
  • 11677 posts
  • Interests:Music, drums, collecting

Posted 01 November 2004 - 06:41 PM

That's sweet.  A local radio station here by my house plays Rush all the time.  It's a classic rock station and it rocks.  Anyone else have stations like that?  1022.gif  1022.gif  1022.gif  

#4 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

• Admin
  • 33768 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 07:42 PM

I remember a long time ago the local classic rock station -- a station not known for playing songs longer than five minutes that aren't named "Stairway To Heaven" or "Freebird" -- played "Xanadu!" I was in my car and almost floored the gas in excitement! Finally, some props for the boys! Finally, this station was playing a Rush song that wasn't named "Tom Sawyer" or "The Spirit Of Radio." I'm cruising along, using my steering wheel as a drum kit throughout the whole instrumental opening, still not believing my ears. The song gets to the quiet part just before the vocals come in....but instead of hearing Geddy sing "To seek the sacred river Alph," I hear the idiot DJ say, "That was Xanadu from Rush. That was by special request from blah blah..."  ohmy.gif  ohmy.gif  ohmy.gif  ohmy.gif  ohmy.gif  ohmy.gif  Are....you.....f***ing.....KIDDING ME??? They faded the song out right before the vocals!

You can't make this stuff up, folks...

#5 The Notorious B.S.G.

The Notorious B.S.G.

<harumph>

• Members *
  • 3139 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 07:51 PM

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 1 2004, 08:42 PM)
I remember a long time ago the local classic rock station -- a station not known for playing songs longer than five minutes that aren't named "Stairway To Heaven" or "Freebird" -- played "Xanadu!" I was in my car and almost floored the gas in excitement! Finally, some props for the boys! Finally, this station was playing a Rush song that wasn't named "Tom Sawyer" or "The Spirit Of Radio." I'm cruising along, using my steering wheel as a drum kit throughout the whole instrumental opening, still not believing my ears. The song gets to the quiet part just before the vocals come in....but instead of hearing Geddy sing "To seek the sacred river Alph," I hear the idiot DJ say, "That was Xanadu from Rush. That was by special request from blah blah..."  ohmy.gif  ohmy.gif  ohmy.gif  ohmy.gif  ohmy.gif  ohmy.gif  Are....you.....f***ing.....KIDDING ME??? They faded the song out right before the vocals!

Heinous!  new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

And another illustration as to just WHY I never listen to radio anymore.

#6 madra sneachta

madra sneachta

Dirk Gently

• Members *
  • 7372 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 08:00 PM

QUOTE (BSG @ Nov 2 2004, 01:51 AM)
I remember a long time ago the local classic rock station -- a station not known for playing songs longer than five minutes that aren't named "Stairway To Heaven" or "Freebird" -- played "Xanadu!" I was in my car and almost floored the gas in excitement! Finally, some props for the boys! Finally, this station was playing a Rush song that wasn't named "Tom Sawyer" or "The Spirit Of Radio." I'm cruising along, using my steering wheel as a drum kit throughout the whole instrumental opening, still not believing my ears. The song gets to the quiet part just before the vocals come in....but instead of hearing Geddy sing "To seek the sacred river Alph," I hear the idiot DJ say, "That was Xanadu from Rush. That was by special request from blah blah..."  ohmy.gif  ohmy.gif  ohmy.gif  ohmy.gif  ohmy.gif  ohmy.gif  Are....you.....f***ing.....KIDDING ME??? They faded the song out right before the vocals!

Thank heaven for in car CD changers. There are no words to describe the crime outlined by 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 there. I don't usually advocate violence as a solution, but in this case, the DJ is on the right -  waffen093.gif  ohmy.gif

Edited by 1-0-0-1-0-0-1, 01 November 2004 - 09:30 PM.

#7 RushRevisited

RushRevisited

The Hailing Administrator

• Admin
  • 21838 posts
  • Interests:My Family, Music, Golf, Astronomy

Posted 01 November 2004 - 08:06 PM

Cincinnati has no Rush on the radio sad.gif  WEBN used to, but so far and few between it could be months - and limited to Tom Sawyer and Working Man....  

#8 pedro2112

pedro2112

The Quasi-Mexican

• Members *
  • 7890 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 08:09 PM

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Nov 1 2004, 07:41 PM)
That's sweet.  A local radio station here by my house plays Rush all the time.  It's a classic rock station and it rocks.  Anyone else have stations like that?  1022.gif  1022.gif  1022.gif

Yes, that station plays Rush a lot. Most of the standards (TS, FW, CTTH, etc..) plus some of the "classics" (2112, Xanadu, etc..). But I"ve never ever heard "The Big Wheel" before on the radio.. anywhere. Has anyone else?

#9 NeilPeartFan2112

NeilPeartFan2112

The Analog Kid - Neil's Youngest Protégé

• Members *
  • 11677 posts
  • Interests:Music, drums, collecting

Posted 01 November 2004 - 09:47 PM

The station I listen to plays stuff like spirit of the radio, freewill, tom sawyer, yyz, limelight, the seeker, summertime blues, etc.  You get the picture.  biggrin.gif  

#10 chaostrophy

chaostrophy

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Writing, recording, arranging and teaching music.

DJ'ing, physics, linguistics, chaos theory, chaos magick, NY Giants, NY Yankees.

Rush, Genesis, Coil, King Crimson, Aphex Twin, power-noise & power-electronics, Imminent, Orphx, Converter, Cabaret Voltaire, Throbbing Gristle, Christian Death, Current 93, Death In June, Interpol.

Pet peeves: people whose musical taste stops developing after the age of 16.

Posted 01 November 2004 - 10:34 PM

Coincidentally, "Xanadu" was the first Rush song I ever heard, thanks to WPLJ ("New York's Best Rock") in 1979.

#11 RushRevisited

RushRevisited

The Hailing Administrator

• Admin
  • 21838 posts
  • Interests:My Family, Music, Golf, Astronomy

Posted 01 November 2004 - 10:38 PM

QUOTE (chaostrophy @ Nov 1 2004, 11:34 PM)
Coincidentally, "Xanadu" was the first Rush song I ever heard, thanks to WPLJ ("New York's Best Rock") in 1979.

Welcome to the board!   trink39.gif  

#12 Pags

Pags

Surge of Adrenaline

• 19169 posts
  • Interests:Drumming, Firefighting. Love workin' on projects around my house and spending time with my wife and kids. Rush goes with anything.

Posted 01 November 2004 - 10:44 PM

QUOTE (chaostrophy @ Nov 1 2004, 10:34 PM)

OMG - I remember the days when PLJ was NY's premier rock station.

#13 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

• Admin
  • 33768 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 11:03 PM

QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 1 2004, 10:44 PM)
QUOTE (chaostrophy @ Nov 1 2004, 10:34 PM)

OMG - I remember the days when PLJ was NY's premier rock station.

103.9 WRCN on LI was the station that cut short "Xanadu" that day. Man that station sucked! I'm not even sure if it's still on the air.

#14 LakesideMaiden

LakesideMaiden

Geddy's Bard

• Members *
  • 11564 posts
  • Interests:Rush.....um......Rush.....and.....um.......Rush......oh yeah, and RUSH! Other than that, I play the guitar, sing, love most kinds of music, including country (I sing that professionally), love photography, art, and hockey.

Posted 02 November 2004 - 01:08 AM

QUOTE (BSG @ Nov 1 2004, 08:51 PM)

DUDE.  I so totally agree with you.....i never listen to the radio anymore.  I've pretty much given up on it completely.  CD Changer all the way for me!!

And that Xanadu thing?  I'd be seriously bullsh!t if i heard that dude!!!!  Thats just not right in any way, shape or form  new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif  

#15 earthshiner

earthshiner

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 02 November 2004 - 01:25 AM

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Nov 1 2004, 06:10 PM)

wierd.....

hey pedro what station? i live in northern illionois.  was it the loop?  they play rush all the time.  never heard the big wheel.  

#16 Red_Sector_Man

Red_Sector_Man

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 01:43 AM

Theres one Radio here in brazil called Kiss FM that plays Rush and others classical bands, everytime they put Tom Sawyer, Fly By Night, Closer To The Heart...Working its good to hear this radio!! yes.gif

Np: Saxon - Dallas 1 pm

#17 chaostrophy

chaostrophy

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Writing, recording, arranging and teaching music.

DJ'ing, physics, linguistics, chaos theory, chaos magick, NY Giants, NY Yankees.

Rush, Genesis, Coil, King Crimson, Aphex Twin, power-noise & power-electronics, Imminent, Orphx, Converter, Cabaret Voltaire, Throbbing Gristle, Christian Death, Current 93, Death In June, Interpol.

Pet peeves: people whose musical taste stops developing after the age of 16.

Posted 02 November 2004 - 03:39 AM

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Nov 1 2004, 10:38 PM)
Welcome to the board!   trink39.gif

Thanks. It's good to find other Rush fanatics online. I was disappointed by the newsgroup alt.music.rush. Too much politics, not enough Rush talk.

#18 Proggy

Proggy

The Seeker

• Members
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:The usual; music (coupled with air drumming lol), reading (mostly on-line nowadays!) and hitting the gym a couple of times a week...

Posted 02 November 2004 - 04:14 AM

QUOTE (Red_Sector_Man @ Nov 2 2004, 01:43 AM)
Theres one Radio here in brazil called Kiss FM that plays Rush and others classical bands, everytime they put Tom Sawyer, Fly By Night, Closer To The Heart...Working its good to hear this radio!! yes.gif

Np: Saxon - Dallas 1 pm

Wow, really?? We have Kiss FM in Finland, as well, and it only plays contemporary hit music = 95% of it is crap, in other words.

The day those guys decide to play Rush, is the day the world will come to and end!  laugh.gif

I've yet to hear Rush on radio... It's extremely rare to hear it here in Finland. Then again, I very rarely listen to the radio anyway... Hail cd's!    

#19 yyz

yyz

To make a long story short...

• Members *
  • 2384 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 10:22 AM

I've also pretty much given up radio. But one day I thought what the heck so I turned it on and they were playing Rush. That gave me a smile.  1022.gif  2.gif  

#20 pedro2112

pedro2112

The Quasi-Mexican

• Members *
  • 7890 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 10:30 AM

QUOTE (earthshiner @ Nov 2 2004, 02:25 AM)
QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Nov 1 2004, 06:10 PM)

wierd.....

hey pedro what station? i live in northern illionois.  was it the loop?  they play rush all the time.  never heard the big wheel.

No, it wasn't a Chicago station.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users