COUNTERPARTS or TEST FOR ECHO

Presto-digitation

Funny, I was just thinking about posting a thread about this over at CP, which is, well...you know. wink.gif

I don't know why BOTH of these albums get slagged so much. But of the two, and it's a close match, but I'd have to go with TFE. I think that TFE has such a beautiful sound to it, especially in Alex's department. Half the World is really a great song and so many others make sense lyrically and sonically...I just think it's a really great album.

Counterparts is obviously more rocking, harder, etc. And CTTC still gives me the chills. But there is something about TFE that makes it stand out above CP. I still don't understand why TFE, especially, gets so much grief from fans. If Rush fans want to give Rush grief, they should start with Hold Your Fire! tongue.gif

Both CP and TFE are good and special in their own ways...but my vote, if I HAVE to choose, would be for TFE.

2.gif

Edited by Greg

CP is my favorite Rush album since the mid 80's. I love the sound they captured. TFE is great also, but probably my second favorite for this time frame. CP has more "great" songs including some sleepers like Cold Fire and Everyday Glory at the end.

Counterparts by a long shot. Their best 90s album.

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ May 10 2006, 05:12 PM)
I prefer CP. Test for Echo was one of my least favorite albums.

Let me recant please. I've been listening to RushRadio all day and it's been heavy on TFE. I forgot just how much I liked it. So......... it's a tie!

Love both albums. But I'm partial to CP, because it's the first album I really started getting into by Rush.

Test For Echo, although Counterparts is also very, very good. I think the only tie-breaker for me is that T4E is consistently good from beginning to end, whereas Counterparts has a few, eh, "controversial" moments for me wink.gif
  • Like 1

Counterparts by a mile. I love the whole male v. female themes, and most the songs on it are, in my opinion, incredible. Test for Echo had a few good tracks, but nothing that really jumped out at me.

"Counterparts" is better... by quite a lot! It's more rocking, and the arrangements are better. The ratio of good songs vs. filler is stronger than on T4E.

I know CT doesn't like "Double Agent," but it's one of my faves on the album; it really allows the guys to get their ya-yas out. "On the edge of sleep..."

"Between Sun and Moon" was one of my sleeper favorites; I love the unusual (for Rush) chorus of "ahh yes to yes, to ahh to yes." I was glad they brought it out for the VT tour, but it didn't translate too well in the live setting.

Animate, Alien Shore, Leave That Thing Alone...

Edited by GeddyRulz

Not by much but I like Test For Echo more. I love the little lyrical numbers (Half the World, The Color of Right, and Totem) and the sheer charm of stuff like Driven and Dog Years. Also this album has some shifting time sigs on it and thats always a plus. I can also see the seeds of many things to come on my 2nd fav. album Vapor Trails.

Counterparts is still an amazing piece of work 1287.gif

Edited by The O' Sullivan Factor

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ May 10 2006, 05:12 PM)
I prefer CP. Test for Echo was one of my least favorite albums.

I second this, although very recently T4E is growing on me a bit more. Time and Motion is a good one.

Both of these albums are great(yes they are) but I'll have to go with Counterparts

however - seeing how neil plays through TFE from a work in progress

enhances the technical elements of TFE

I think Driven and TFE are excellent caliber songs that disputably are a bit better than some of CP songs but I like more songs of CP and it was done in La Studio

test for echo was one of the first Rush albums I listened to but it never stuck out ot me (except for Resist, that is one of their best songs), I think that was a year ago, anyways, I acquired many more albums since then and recently got Counterparts and the first time I listened to it... I was blown away! It made me hyper because I thought it was so good; it had great music, a most awesome instrumental, nice lyrics, and a good booklet that had a lot of work put in it.

So by far I say that Counterparts is better than Test For Echo

Test for Echo is bipolar. You've got one end of the spectrum with Time and Motion, T4E, Driven, and Resist, which just rock. Then over on the other end, there is Dog Years and Virtuality. Yikes! ohmy.gif

CP is solid all the way through.

Counterparts is fantastic probably my favourite Rush album. Test for Echo is a great listen once and a while but I can listen to Counterparts very often. I can't think of a bad track on it to be honest.