Downloading Music

Rush!

I'm looking for reliable websites that I can download rare progressive albums/psychedelic albums (i.e. '66-'72/'73) and Krautrock albums ('69-'74) from. I just tried this website: http://8daysinapril.blogspot.com/

Most of the links for that website don't work and you have to go through a lot of trouble to download the albums. Larks and thestand have, however, d/led albums there before so if you guys see this thread, if you could give me some further info on what the problem could be.

All I'm looking for are RELIABLE AND FREE WEBSITES that I can download rare albums of the above genres.

Thanks for any help

~Rush! smile.gif

Definatly torrents are the way to go. You dont have to go through the hassle of dling a program with attached spyware and viruses in the files. Its much easier to dl entire albums, whereas with programs like those you can only do 1 song at a time. A much better way to manage your time.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Apr 23 2006, 06:23 PM)
QUOTE (Drumnut @ Apr 23 2006, 12:49 PM)
Ever tried Limewire? confused13.gif

If you haven't, I wouldn't suggest it. Viruses.

BitTorrent is the way to go.

I've never caught anything from it but my Norton AV is up-to-date. comp26.gif

I've never had a problem with Limewrie either. It's not so much viruses you have to watch with these shared file programmes, but malware. As long as you rgularly sweep your PC for it , you're ok.

Could someone explain a bit more about Torrents, with a link or two if possible, as I've obviously heard of them but have never seen them in action?

I've never had a problem with Limewire either. It's not so much viruses you have to watch with these shared file programmes, but malware. As long as you regularly sweep your PC for it , you're ok.

Could someone explain a bit more about Torrents, with a link or two if possible, as I've obviously heard of them but have never seen them in action?

QUOTE (Fridge @ Apr 24 2006, 12:52 AM)
I've never had a problem with Limewire either. It's not so much viruses you have to watch with these shared file programmes, but malware. As long as you regularly sweep your PC for it , you're ok.

Torrents are THE BEST..they are the FASTEST way to download things..and they are usually ALWAYS real and pretty much NEVER fileld with viruses. I used to use bearshare limeware etc...but when I got intorduced to torrents...it was like the best thing ever aha.

www.torrentz.com you can GET ANYTHING you want from there...what you do is type in what you want and download it to your desktop or wherever...then you will need to open the torrent and download the file inside of it with a program..I recommend a program called Azerous...i dont think i spelled it right but if you go to google and type that in it will say "Did you mean.." and click that and download it..it starts out slow..but it is the FASTEST bittorrent downloader out there.

If you want like band live concert bootleg or whatever you can try www.Bootcity.org i think it is they have TONS of Bootlegs from tons of bands.

I'm not on my home computer, but I've got 10 core sites I go to for torrents. Most of them have a definite genre.

Etree is the best place for jam music, but it's only live (but for jam that's a good thing, a band is only a true jam band if they can play well live)

DimeaDozen has probably the best variety.

Libble.com probably is the best source for albums, mainly recent but some older.

The Pirate Bay is also very popular.

QUOTE (Dreamline @ Apr 23 2006, 03:48 PM)
Free websites for downloading? Isn't that called "piracy"?

"Free" downloading is kinda like climbing up on stage and stealing Neil's snare drum in the middle of a Rush show. Put the shoe on the other foot. rage.gif

QUOTE (the_masked_drummer @ Apr 26 2006, 06:20 AM)

"Free" downloading is kinda like climbing up on stage and stealing Neil's snare drum in the middle of a Rush show. Put the shoe on the other foot. rage.gif

No, that's more like a death sentence!!

QUOTE (the_masked_drummer @ Apr 26 2006, 09:20 AM)

That's right, only download either live music or music from dead people. fists crying.gif wink.gif

I've never bought that idea that if you download music, you are stealing from the artist. Music is not a physical thing, if you download something, you are not physically taking it away from the artist or the record label so that they dont have it anymore. Its like if you jumped on stage and took Neil's snare drum, but after you took the snare drum Neil had a magic cloning machine and could make a new one. Its not at all the same as stealing a cd from a music store because you arent stealing inventory off the stores shelves. But if you think it is a problem, you have to look at who the people are who are downloading music illegally to begin with.

The majority of people who download music on a mass scale are younger people, most without a source of income. This is a generation of people raised on the internet with the ability to access almost any information at a moments notice, music being no exception. This is a generation that is very enthusiastic about music as they have the exposure to so many different styles. And with younger people, the majority of them are not working or go to college, so dont have a source of income in which they can buy music with. When they download, they do so without any intention of buying the music to begin with, they may download a song, listen to it once or twice and then decide they dont like it anymore and thats that. If the person was never going to give his money to the artist in the first place, how is the artist having money taken away from them?

But what really drives me up a wall is the RIAA and how it is just so comletely out of touch with the music buying public. They have sued thousands of people for downloading music illegally (mostly from P2P networking services with spyware attachements, I really stress that if youre going to download music, dont use these programs). The RIAA has made some absolutely rediculous statements in its attempt to justify that downloading music is wrong. They have actually went as far as to tell college students to Drop Out Of College and find a paying job or go to a cheaper community college to afford the fines that the RIAA places on them.

The most deplorable comment in this article though is the statement that "Our goal with all these anti-piracy efforts is to protect the ability of the music industry to invest in new bands and give legal online services a chance to flourish. As part of achieving that goal, we bring lawsuits against individuals who violate the law and steal from record companies, musicians, songwriters and everyone else involved in making music."

I DONT WANT TO HELP INVEST IN YOUR NEXT BIG THING!! Take your next Linkin Park or Backstreet Boys and shove it up your ass, I dont want my money being used to help promote them and fatten your already bloated pockets.

And the statement that when you download, you are stealing revenue from the artist? Dont give me that BS either, I know full wel that artists today hardly ever get a fair record deal, the vast majority of your money isnt going to the artist themselves, its going either to the stores that are selling the product or to record company executives to allocate in the manor stated above.

What it comes down to though is that if you really want to support an artist, there are other ways to do so. I go to concerts, knowing that I am going to get a grander experience at a show then just sitting in my room listening to thier studio recordings. I also know that the $15 I am spending on my ticket, a much higher percentage is going to the artist themselves then if I were to spend that same $15 on a cd in a store.

As we're getting in to the ethics of downloading here, here's my two cents worth.

I can't comment on the legal proceedings being taken in the US, but here in Ireland, the actions are being taken by IMRO (Irish Music Rights Organisation) not against the downloaders, but the uploaders. Effectively, action is being taken against people based on the amount of music in their shared folders, not on the basis of how much they download. That's probably because it can be tracked through ISPs or something (I won't even pretend to understand the technicalities).

Is it ethical?.

Like Moonraker, I don't automatically buy the 'stealing from the artist' arguement. Unlike Moonie, I'm old enough to remember the old "Home Taping is killing music" logos that appeared on the old vinyl sleeves in the early '80s. However, I'm fairly sure the music survived just fine, as it will in this new milieu.

I can only speak for myself, but I suspect I'm typical. I use Limewire for two reasons, either to test out stuff I haven't heard before, or track down rare/deleted stuff I want to hear and can't get elsewhere. Practical example - In the past few weeks, I've downloaded one song through Limewire, a 1980 track by The Regents called '7Teen'. Conversely. I've bought two CDs, and got eight albums legally online through either iTunes or emusic.com.

Much of the stuff I've downloaded through Limewire to test I've subsequently gone out and bought, a case in point being Arcade Fire's 'Funeral'. I heard about it early last year, downloaded the four parts of Neighbourhood, and subsequently ordered the CD through the local independent music shop here. I also participate in the Counterparts CD exchange, through which a group of us burn and swap CDs, and I've bought albums by several artists on the strength of hearing songs.

Far from 'stealing' revenue from artists, my use of Limewire has generated it. If I'm testing out new stuff and like it, I'll buy it - chalk up another album sale on the register. If I don't buy it, I wouldn't have done so anyway.

I agree that downloading thousands of albums without ever buying one is taking the piss, but I suspect very few people do that. I'll take Moonraker as an example again. Reading through his post above briefly, you might conclude he's an anarchistic thief who won't spend money. A read through the 'What CDs have you bought?' thread tells a VERY different story.

Use of P2P programmes does not automatically make you a thief.

1287.gif 1287.gif 1287.gif

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Apr 26 2006, 09:36 AM)

I've never bought that idea that if you download music, you are stealing from the artist. Music is not a physical thing, if you download something, you are not physically taking it away from the artist or the record label so that they dont have it anymore. Its like if you jumped on stage and took Neil's snare drum, but after you took the snare drum Neil had a magic cloning machine and could make a new one. Its not at all the same as stealing a cd from a music store because you arent stealing inventory off the stores shelves. But if you think it is a problem, you have to look at who the people are who are downloading music illegally to begin with.

The majority of people who download music on a mass scale are younger people, most without a source of income. This is a generation of people raised on the internet with the ability to access almost any information at a moments notice, music being no exception. This is a generation that is very enthusiastic about music as they have the exposure to so many different styles. And with younger people, the majority of them are not working or go to college, so dont have a source of income in which they can buy music with. When they download, they do so without any intention of buying the music to begin with, they may download a song, listen to it once or twice and then decide they dont like it anymore and thats that. If the person was never going to give his money to the artist in the first place, how is the artist having money taken away from them?

But what really drives me up a wall is the RIAA and how it is just so comletely out of touch with the music buying public. They have sued thousands of people for downloading music illegally (mostly from P2P networking services with spyware attachements, I really stress that if youre going to download music, dont use these programs). The RIAA has made some absolutely rediculous statements in its attempt to justify that downloading music is wrong. They have actually went as far as to tell college students to Drop Out Of College and find a paying job or go to a cheaper community college to afford the fines that the RIAA places on them.

The most deplorable comment in this article though is the statement that "Our goal with all these anti-piracy efforts is to protect the ability of the music industry to invest in new bands and give legal online services a chance to flourish. As part of achieving that goal, we bring lawsuits against individuals who violate the law and steal from record companies, musicians, songwriters and everyone else involved in making music."

I DONT WANT TO HELP INVEST IN YOUR NEXT BIG THING!! Take your next Linkin Park or Backstreet Boys and shove it up your ass, I dont want my money being used to help promote them and fatten your already bloated pockets.

And the statement that when you download, you are stealing revenue from the artist? Dont give me that BS either, I know full wel that artists today hardly ever get a fair record deal, the vast majority of your money isnt going to the artist themselves, its going either to the stores that are selling the product or to record company executives to allocate in the manor stated above.

What it comes down to though is that if you really want to support an artist, there are other ways to do so. I go to concerts, knowing that I am going to get a grander experience at a show then just sitting in my room listening to thier studio recordings. I also know that the $15 I am spending on my ticket, a much higher percentage is going to the artist themselves then if I were to spend that same $15 on a cd in a store.

goodpost.gif

I agree with pretty much everything this post said. I don't download music to get it for free without having to pay for it...I download it to see if I want to purchase it. I am absolutely not going to spend $15-20 on every CD I have even a marginal interest in checking out. So I download them and see if I like them or not.

With that said, I really do like owning the actual CD. So if I download or burn something and I like it, I will most likely buy it. It may take a while...Because I'm 16 and unemployed, I simply don't have the kind of money to buy hundreds of CDs, but I know that I will buy all of these eventually.

As for the RIAA encouraging people to drop out to pay them money so they can promote their shitty new rap act, I won't even dignify that with a response.

Archived