What are we seeing tonight?

thestand

I'm a person who goes to the movies usually once a week, and I actually like to review them. So I thought I'd start this, so maybe people could recommend some new good ones/tell you which ones to stay away from. When you post, leave some space between you telling the name and you reviewing it, just to avoid spoiling it.

Alright, I'll start first-

The Benchwarmers

You get exactly what you pay for. I expected a comedy that would be fairly stupid, light on the intellectual jokes, but with a lot of laughs from seeing David Spade in pain. I wasn't dissapointed. It was a Happy Madison production, so if you're a fan of Adam Sandler movies (like I am) you'll enjoy this.

There was actually some good performances in this movie, and it's NOT from the three stars, who were David Spade, Rob Schneider, and John Heder. One of the better performances was by Jon Lovitz. He plays the multi-billionaire nerd who finances the competition. The competition is the teenage jocks play in a tournament against the 3 adult men that make up the Benchwarmers. If the teens win, Lovitz would donate a stadium to the town. It doesn't take too much thought to guess who wins, but I'll let you guess anyway.

But by far the best performance was by comedian Nick Swardson. He plays the agoraphobic albino brother of David Spade, who is forced to leave his "safe room" when the Benchwarmers go on the road. By far this performance got the most laughs out of the audience. I think it was the only thing I actually laughed out loud at (I have a great sense of humour, but I don't laugh out loud).

All in all, like I said in the opening line, you get what you paid for. I wasn't expecting a well done comedy of recent years like Anchorman or the 40 Year Old Virgin, but for a Happy Madison film, it wasn't bad.

B-

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

North Country

With excellent performances all round, and a brutally strong and sad story, this film is definitely worth a watch. It follows the trials and tribulations of female mining workers in the 80's. With a stellar cast lead by Charlize Theron we see that there are still top notch actors out there. Frances McDormand deserves recognition for one of the strongest female supporting roles that I've seen in a long time.

The only downfall is that I think go a little too far with the harassment scenes. At some points it seems that certain scenes try too hard to achieve dramatic effect, and go overboard .

I recommend this film, especially for the acting.

A-

The Rocket.

Simply amazing is the only way to describe it.

It's an eye opener into the treatment of French Canadian hockey players, even on a french team. (this hits kinda close to home, as my dad grew up in Montreal, he is a French Canadian hockey player).

Very powerful preformance from Roy Dupuis as Maurice Richard. (I never knew how much crap he had to endure on and off the ice.)

I give this a solid A+.

I will be going to see it again, as will my brother (who I went with) and my dad wants to come to. (we got two tickets for an advanced screening... it opens tomorrow officially).

Ahh yes. And most of the movie is subtitled, as French is the main lanuguge spoken (naturally)

Silent Hill

A woman goes to Silent Hill beacuse everytime her daughter "Sleep walks" She always screams SILENT HILL. She goes to see if she can get help from anyone there. On her way there she runs into trouble with a cop and on the high speed chase she gets knocked out. When she wakes up her daughter is missing and she must go find her.

This movie started out pretty good...but it slowly got realllly boring. Lets just say when the whole Theater is LAUGHING at a movie like this its not a good thing...and I mean EVERYONE was laughing...it was as if we walked into a comedy instead of a horror movie.

One thing I really liked about this movie was the score. They used some of the songs from the game and that was pretty cool. I also liked how they made the atmossphere prettty much just like the game..it set a creepy tone for the movie.

The acting was OK but the Dialoge (sp?) was pretty bad. The whole first hour of the movie is just the lady walking around silent hill and nothing really happens. You start to put the peices of the puzzle together near the last 30 mins of the movie...but trust me its not a puzzle you will care to uncover.

4 out of 10

Inside Man

Just got back from this and it was a very well done film. I had to go see this today beacuse yesturday I went and saw Silent Hill..and I kinda had to get that crappy film out of my system. So i went in to see this movie not knowing much about it and it was awesome.

Its about the erfect bank heist...4 people go into a bank disguised as painters and they try to rob the place. Denzel Washington is a hostage negotiator and William Defoe and Jodie Foster are with him in this movie trying to stop the Heist. The movie has great performances and a nice twist ending that is realllly good.

8 out of 10

QUOTE (2112-Rob-2112 @ Apr 28 2006, 03:24 PM)
QUOTE (thestand @ Apr 28 2006, 12:05 PM)
Seeing tomorrow- R.V.

wow im sorry

Why's that? Someone can't see some mindless entertainment once in awhile? I mean, coming from someone who puts Pirates O' the Carribean in his top 5, I would say that you shouldn't make that comment.

If it's the script, I understand that it's mindless stupidity. But guess what? Every once in awhile, I want to see sewage spewed on Robin Williams.

And if it's a Robin Williams thing, I have two things to say-

1- One Hour Photo

2- What Dreams May Come

how can u say POTC is mindless that was a great awesome action packed movie..and depp was amazing...putting POTC up against RV is a no contest..i dont even have to see RV to know that either. And yes Robin Williams is an awesome actor but there is no way he is going to save RV.

QUOTE (2112-Rob-2112 @ Apr 28 2006, 11:15 PM)
how can u say POTC is mindless that was a great awesome action packed movie..and depp was amazing...putting POTC up against RV is a no contest..i dont even have to see RV to know that either. And yes Robin Williams is an awesome actor but there is no way he is going to save RV.

I believe uneccessary action with no plot movement and occasional comedic relief is pretty mindless. That being said, I liked it, but I wouldn't put it above RV in any way, even though Johnny Depp was in it. Hell, Johnny Depp was in Nightmare on Elm Street.

QUOTE (2112-Rob-2112 @ Apr 29 2006, 12:08 AM)
that was his first movie its totally different..and I KNOW you didint know that plot twist at the end of pirates aha!

you should go see united 93 instead..i want to see that so badly.

I'm not too big on propagandist films, but that's a whoooooooole different forum. Let's not get that started here. And as for Pirates, I guess we'll agree to disagree then, eh? wink.gif

QUOTE (thestand @ Apr 28 2006, 02:23 PM)
QUOTE (2112-Rob-2112 @ Apr 28 2006, 03:24 PM)
QUOTE (thestand @ Apr 28 2006, 12:05 PM)
Seeing tomorrow- R.V.

wow im sorry

Why's that? Someone can't see some mindless entertainment once in awhile? I mean, coming from someone who puts Pirates O' the Carribean in his top 5, I would say that you shouldn't make that comment.

If it's the script, I understand that it's mindless stupidity. But guess what? Every once in awhile, I want to see sewage spewed on Robin Williams.

And if it's a Robin Williams thing, I have two things to say-

1- One Hour Photo

2- What Dreams May Come

Speaking of One Hour Photo, credit has to be due to Mark Romanek as well. He also did the directing btw of Closer and The Perfect Drug music videos for Nine Inch Nails years ago.

United 93

I have NEVER seen a movie that has left an impact on me like this one has. This movie had my heart pounding throughout. They hold back nothing in this movie and they bare it all. This is one of the oly movies where I actually felt my eyes tearing up..I felt like a little girl.

The movie tells the story of what happened on 9-11....and it tells it so great that it will leave a mark on you when you watch it. This movie not only makes you afraid to ride in an airplane... but it tells you to never say the words "It will never happen to me"

I recommend this movie bigtime.

9 out of 10

Recently saw Date Movie...um.... no.gif bolt.gif

The Movie starts out with a HORRIBLY unfunny sequencewith Alyson Hannigan in a fat suit dancing around...eh, she dances, people turn away, a guy shoots himself....not funny

She realizes that nobody likes her so she goes to get a makeover, which spoofs Pimp My Ride( Really good date movie huh...? fing.gif ) So she gets a liposuction, has a TV installed on her stomach(WTF) gets her tonails cut, etc.

She goes on a reality TV show where the man shoots all the other women but her. They meet her parents(in a horrible spoof of Meet the Parents) Basically, a puppet cat goes to the bathroom very loudly for 5 minutes...humps a corpse....nothing funny, by this time, I would have left if my friend wasn't enjoying it ( fists crying.gif beathorse.gif )

They go to meet his parent (In a HORRIBLE spoof of Meet the Fockers) And very quickly, everyone plays basketball, the woman's dad gets sweat in his mouth from Grant(the guy's) dad(horribly disgusting scene) Grant's mom shoves everyone's faces into her breast...they decide to get engaged and whatnot

So eventually, it spirals downward into unfunnyness and crash lands at a COMPLETELY thrown-in-at-the-last-minute scene making fun of King Kong....

Anyways...Don't see it, don't buy it, if you ever get a copy burn it firedevil.gif

Lucky Number Slevin

I have recently seen this movie and wow....it was awesome.

It has alot of great actors like Morgan Freeman..Ben Kingsly...and Bruce Willis..who all put in great parts and it also has Josh Hartett (i dunno his last name) who is the main character "Slevin"

I cant really tell you much about the movie beacuse if I really tell you anything the movie is ruined beacuse there are about 10 twists that are just awesome. The whole time I was watching this I was excited beacuse it was very intense.

If you like Tarantino style directing then you will love this movie beacuse it is a cross between Tarentino and Martin Scorseese.

The dialage...acting...story...everything was just awesome...I recommend it to anyone who likes good action and good thinker movies.

8 out of 10

QUOTE (2112-Rob-2112 @ May 11 2006, 03:41 PM)
Lucky Number Slevin

It has alot of great actors like Morgan Freeman..Ben Kingsly...and Bruce Willis..who all put in great parts and it also has Josh Hartett (i dunno his last name) who is the main character "Slevin"

I cant really tell you much about the movie beacuse if I really tell you anything the movie is ruined beacuse there are about 10 twists that are just awesome. The whole time I was watching this I was excited beacuse it was very intense.

If you like Tarantino style directing then you will love this movie beacuse it is a cross between Tarentino and Martin Scorseese.

The dialage...acting...story...everything was just awesome...I recommend it to anyone who likes good action and good thinker movies.

8 out of 10

I saw this a few weeks ago, before making this thread. I thought it was a horribly cheap ripoff of Guy Ritchie movies (Snatch and Lock Stock).

QUOTE (thestand @ May 13 2006, 06:57 PM)
QUOTE (2112-Rob-2112 @ May 11 2006, 03:41 PM)
Lucky Number Slevin

8 out of 10

I saw this a few weeks ago, before making this thread. I thought it was a horribly cheap ripoff of Guy Ritchie movies (Snatch and Lock Stock).

aha i take it we share alot of different tastes in moives eh? laugh.gif

X-Men 3

It was OK. The weakest of the three in my opinion.

You have to stay until after the very long credits though. It'll be worth it.

7/10

I have to agree about X-Men 3. It was ok, not bad but not great either. The movie introduced several characters that were either new to the movies or only seen in the background of the previous 2 movies. It seems as though they used a lot of mutants, flash and superpower action to compensate for an overall weak story and sometimes Lucas-esque dialog. At times, it seemed the movie was pieced together from several different story ideas and didn't work cohesively. The effects were pretty good. They did well keeping a lot of the same props to keep it consistent with the other 2 movies. I went in with relatively low expectations considering the various director and script changes the movie went through. I left feeling like I might want to watch it again, but not like I did the previous 2 movies. As was stated, wait through the credits. I'd say 3/5

Just went to the drive-ins last night to see "Over the Hedge" with my wife and children.

The movie was okay for a children's pic, with a couple of adult jokes for us to appreciate.

The first time I've been to a drive-in in about 20 years! We brought two bags of microwaved popcorn and a 2-liter bottle of soda, so we didn't have to pay at the concession stand. My 3-year old drank Apple Juice from the back seat; we kept asking her if she could see, and she didn't answer. Hopefully she could.