What are we seeing tonight?

thestand

Saw Da Vinci code today. It was just like the book except for just a few modifications. Of course they left out a lot of stuff. Still, it was 2 1/2 hours. I liked it. It wasn't great, but a very good movie. Regardless of how you feel about the history and/or religious overtones of the story, if you just try and enjoy it as a fun fictional story it was very fun to watch.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw Xmen 3 and Da vinci last night...Both of them were OK.

I havent seen the first 2 xmen..but you really dont need too beacuse I understood what was going on in this one. I think it is way to overhyped and all beacuse I thought it was just ok. It wasnt bad but it wasnt that great either. The story was kinda dull..and there wasnt much going on with alittle action at the ending.

Da Vinci was also ok. I havent read the book so yea it was kinda hard for me to follow But through the whole movie all they did was talk about stuff I really diidnt care much about..but there were alot of cool parts and it makes you think alot about religion. The movie was more like an educational video then a movie.

I would give both of them a 6 out of 10

I saw X3 last night.

It wasn't the worst movie I have seen but it didn't live up to the two previous

movies the plot was paper thin and rather boring.

I hope in there is a X4 they bring back Singer.

Saw "The Break Up"

It was a pretty funny movie..I had some good laughs and Vince and Aniston where awesome in the movie..I especially liked Vince beacuse he had alot of good parts and lines and the way he delivered them were just funny as hell. The story and acting and everything was pretty good. Overall a really funny movie.

I like how they made it a "Dramady" It was comedy and drama mixed and the drama was really good too.

7 out of 10

X3

A comedic masterpiece. I didn't go 5 minutes without laughing at the completely overblown acting and action, and the attempt at drama. Freaking hilarious. The best part is the mutant who leads the charge on Alcatraz, and just screams.

3/10

Cars

Saw Cars tonight and it wasnt a bad film...It wasnt unbeliebably great either...It was just good. It was wayy to long for a kids movie and it dragged on alot at times..But overall it was pretty good...The animations were awesome and there were a few laughs throughout the movie for me.

7-10

Nacho Libre

Went and saw this today before work..wow it was reallly funny I reallly enjoyed it.

When I saw that it was a nickelodeon movie I was pretty scared beacuse Im not really a huge fan of nick movies mainly beacuse they are more for little kids...but this one was funny for everyone. Jack Black was hilarious...every single line he has is hilarious...just how he delivers his lines is just priceless. I recommend this movie it was really good.

7-10

Nacho Libre

If Jack Black wasn't in it, it wouldn't have been good. The dialogue was to be expected from Mr. White, as that's his "thing," now that he did Napoleon. There were some parts I laughed at, but not much. The only thought I had running through my head at many parts is- if John Waters made a kid movie, it would be this. Especially the big girl crawling through the tunnels. That's soooo John Waters-ish.

Overall- 5/10

Edited by thestand

I saw Superman Returns Yesterday.

I give it 3.5 out of 5.

A very good restart to the franchise a bit long but without a doubt better then 3 and 4.

Kevin Spacey does a great job as Lex. Brendon Routh also does a nice job with Superman.

I would say this is a must see movie even if your not a Superhero movie fan.

Just saw Pirates of the Caribbean 2: Dead Man's Chest

OmFG LOVED it applaudit.gif

dont go see this one unless u saw the 1st one

or ull be soo lost unsure.gif

both are definatly a must to anyones DvD collection!

only thing that got me was the endin...Wadda cliffhanger

GOTTA see Part 3 once it finaly hits the theaters yes.gif

1287.gif trink39.gif

Johnny Depp just wins ya over once gain thats for sure!! drool1.gif

Pirates of the Carribean 2: Dead Man's Chest

Infinitely better then the first one. I liked the first one, but it wouldn't touch my top 50 movies of all time. Maybe a 7/10. This one, on the other hand, could definitely find its way into my top 50.

This sequel had a much darker and most likely more realistic take on pirating. Not as bright and friendly, more greed and anger showing. The CGI was done beautifully, but got a little out of hand at times. The directing style was much better then the first, I think.

And then there's Johnny Depp. I honestly can't think of many better characters that he's done then Jack Sparrow. As the drunken, slightly feminine, Keith Richards-esque (Depp's words, not mine) pirate, he gives a hilarious performance.

Overall, 8/10

POTC

Went to see this yesturday and it was a good movie. I dont think it was as good as the first though. The acting of course was pretty amazing by Depp and others..and I thought Stellen Skarsgard played an awesome part too.

I thought the downsides tp this movie were that..It took awhile for the movie to actually get started...it dragged on for awhile before it started getting to all the "swashbuckling action" But of course im not all about the action but the story really didint grab me like the first one did. But it was still a good movie no doubt.

7/10

Saw Pirates Of The Carribean II: The Dead Man's Chest

I know of all the records it's breaking.

But i didn't think it was that great.

Lacked in alot parts.

And then some of the acting was way too over the top.

The ending was very good though.

My rating: 4/10

Because some of the acting was very good.

The story line was alright.

Ending was good.

And Keira Knightley looked very good.

My review of Lady in the Water copied from the Lady in the Water thread-

I just got back, and all I can say is wow. This is an amazing movie. Like I said, I went into this knowing the plotline of the movie, and was still blown away. The fact that M. Night could completely create his own mythology and create a seperate story around it in the span of 2 hours is amazing to me. Again, I reinforce the fact that this is NOT a thriller. I would categorize it as a drama/comedy/thriller, in that order. And yes, it is a comedy, above the point of simple comedic relief. I rarely laugh out loud at movies, but the opening scene and every time the critic talked had me laughing.

One thing I noticed is that M. Night wrote himself into this much more then his brief cameos before. And honestly, he's not too shabby of an actor. And then there's Mr. Giamatti. Honestly, he is one of my favorite actors of today. He gave an amazing performance in this movie. He was passionate, and his delivery (a major plot point in this movie is his stutter) was on point. Also Jeffery Wright and Bob Balaban, though both were given limited screen time, both gave amazing performances.

The storyline in general is strictly linear, compared to other offering from M. Night. There's many small twists and roll-reversals, but overall, it's a linear movie. And honestly, if M. Night attempted to put spins in it like his others, it wouldn't have worked.

Honestly my favorite M. Night movie, because it hit me harder emotionally then any of the others.

8.5/10

QUOTE (thestand @ Jul 21 2006, 09:29 PM)

I just got back, and all I can say is wow. This is an amazing movie. Like I said, I went into this knowing the plotline of the movie, and was still blown away. The fact that M. Night could completely create his own mythology and create a seperate story around it in the span of 2 hours is amazing to me. Again, I reinforce the fact that this is NOT a thriller. I would categorize it as a drama/comedy/thriller, in that order. And yes, it is a comedy, above the point of simple comedic relief. I rarely laugh out loud at movies, but the opening scene and every time the critic talked had me laughing.

One thing I noticed is that M. Night wrote himself into this much more then his brief cameos before. And honestly, he's not too shabby of an actor. And then there's Mr. Giamatti. Honestly, he is one of my favorite actors of today. He gave an amazing performance in this movie. He was passionate, and his delivery (a major plot point in this movie is his stutter) was on point. Also Jeffery Wright and Bob Balaban, though both were given limited screen time, both gave amazing performances.

The storyline in general is strictly linear, compared to other offering from M. Night. There's many small twists and roll-reversals, but overall, it's a linear movie. And honestly, if M. Night attempted to put spins in it like his others, it wouldn't have worked.

Honestly my favorite M. Night movie, because it hit me harder emotionally then any of the others.

8.5/10

Ditto!

QUOTE (Signals1982 @ Jul 21 2006, 10:07 PM)
QUOTE (thestand @ Jul 21 2006, 09:29 PM)

8.5/10

Ditto!

trink39.gif I need to see this!

To beat the heat yesterday my girlfriend and I saw POTC2

She didn't like like it at all and she loves the first one said this one was too dark and boring.

I thought it was OK it took awhile to get going but knowing they already filmed 3 I half expected this going in. The effect were done well Depp makes up for some the wtf that could never happen parts with a look and a slight wink.

I loved the first one and I will see the 3rd but this one I give it a 3 out 5.

Awww....why did this thread die? Seems like a great idea.

Would love to hear more of your reviews...and I'll share mine if you'd like. Am an avid Netflix user, which means I sometimes watch obscure things no one's ever heard of...sometimes for good reason, but a lot of them surprisingly entertaining.

I watched two "would not recommends" this weekend. One called Junebug, which got great reviews and had some mildly entertaining moments, but nothing to rave about. Another one called The Matchmaker, from 1997. Slept through a lot of it. But, judging from the parts of it that I did see, don't think I'll try it again.

On tap for this weekend, A Cinderella Story and Benchwarmers, which I saw reviewed earlier. Not what I would normally choose to watch, but these both seemed safe to watch with the kids this weekend.

Is there a simliar thread somewhere else that I haven't found yet?

Jack? You always seem to have the answers...lol.

Cel

lol....you went from Texas Chainsaw Massacre 062802puke_prv.gif

to Little Miss Sunshine (what? no sun icon??)

nice variety.

Am with you on Little Miss Sunshine. Can't wait to see that one myself. Have heard nothing but good things about it. yes.gif

Just the commercial for the chainsaw one will give me nightmares. Don't think it will EVER make my Netflix list. no.gif

Let us know how it goes.

Cel

we're going to go see the 3-D version of Nightmare Before Christmas.... 1022.gif