Post 3 useless facts

Geds

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Mice have no bladders (so with a blacklight you can see the urine and then track the critter).

2. Detroit, Michigan is further East than Big Stone Gap, Virginia.

3. Glass is actually a fluid (from what I've read). Apparently in older buildings the glass at the bottom of the window pane is thicker than the glass at the top. I think I'll investigate this one a little further.

A 2001 study showed that most people in the United States were born on October 5.

No one in history was ever found to be born on the 30th of February.

We will experience two Friday The 13th's in a row this year. One in February, and then another in March. unsure.gif

1. i'm going to bed shortly

2. i worte an essay in under an hour tonight, and its actually pretty darn good

3. i will have toast tomorrow morning

Don't know if these have been said, and I'm going by memory but..

1) Tigers are the only other animal aside from humans that kill for the hell of it (not just for food or to protect their young that is). IIRC, they murder about 100 people a year in India alone.

2) Hippos kill more people in Africa every year than any other animal there including Lions, Elephants, etc.

3) A praying mantis holds its prey in its pinchers and swivels its head to bore a hole straight into the thing, sucking its juices out and later disgarding it (it's true, I caught one and saw it up close. AWESOME.)

Animals are always great for useless fact threads. trink36.gif

Edited by Del_Duio

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Feb 4 2009, 09:21 AM)

1) Tigers are the only other animal aside from humans that kill for the hell of it (not just for food or to protect their young that is). IIRC, they murder about 100 people a year in India alone.

2) Hippos kill more people in Africa every year than any other animal there including Lions, Elephants, etc.

3) A praying mantis holds its prey in its pinchers and swivels its head to bore a hole straight into the thing, sucking its juices out and later disgarding it (it's true, I caught one and saw it up close. AWESOME.)

Animals are always great for useless fact threads. trink36.gif

One more for me:

While watching the show Manswers, the following was discussed:

The only animal that engages in prostitution other than humans is:

Chimps. The females will trade sex for food. (If only it were so easy)

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Feb 5 2009, 01:25 PM)
QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Feb 4 2009, 09:21 AM)

Animals are always great for useless fact threads.  trink36.gif

One more for me:

While watching the show Manswers, the following was discussed:

The only animal that engages in prostitution other than humans is:

Chimps. The females will trade sex for food. (If only it were so easy)

-Back in the Victorian age, some prostitutes DID sell their body for as little as a loaf of bread.

-Tigers are NOT the only animals besides humans that kill "for the hell of it." Cats are just well-known for playing with their victims so I'm guessing that's where that false factoid sprang from.

-The Elephant Man is often incorrectly referred to as John Merrick. His name was Joseph Carey Merrick.