Face Up - Why so muh antipathy?

madra sneachta

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Oct 30 2004, 04:17 PM)
I dont know who you mean doesnt like the song. Personally I thought it was a very strong part of RTB. He is definatly singing with conviction on that one, and I think it could have made a great live choice.

I agree, but over on Counterparts, it regularly appears on "Least favourite song" threads. I don't understand why confused13.gif

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Oct 30 2004, 10:28 AM)
QUOTE (Moonraker @ Oct 30 2004, 04:17 PM)
I dont know who you mean doesnt like the song.  Personally I thought it was a very strong part of RTB.  He is definatly singing with conviction on that one, and I think it could have made a great live choice.

I agree, but over on Counterparts, it regularly appears on "Least favourite song" threads. I don't understand why confused13.gif

That's why The Rush Forum is that much better than Counterparts! pokey.gif rofl3.gif

BTW: "Face-up" is one of my favs on RTB. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I suppose its all a matter of taste. I love Face Up but, then again, I love the whole of RTB - its one of my favourite Rush albums.

However, I've come across people on other Rush forums who really seem to detest it and Counterparts (another favourite of mine). There are a few in particular who seem to be of the opinion that the band haven't done any good since Hemispheres. (One of these is definitely on Counterparts. I've never been on there but encountered him on a couple of others which I no longer frequent - mainly because the guy really grates on my nerves and I have no wish to be arrested on the internet version of assault and battery).

Personally, I ignore what other people say about which is the best Rush album/track/period and listen to what I like. (Personally, I'm not very keen on Signals but, as I said, its a matter of taste.)

I like Face Up a lot. I don't consider it one of the heavy hitters of the album, but I still think it's a great song. For the RTB tour I remember they played it. I don't see it listed on the Power Windows site, but I'm almost sure they did. It's just a fun song with a good groove and a good lyric.

I put Dreamline, Bravado (especially), Roll The Bones, Heresy, and Ghost Of A Chance as the albums strongest songs. The Big Wheel is also way up there.

It simply is a matter of taste. Personally, the song is ok, not one I yearn to hear live, but it wouldn't bother me if they did play it. Certain songs just irritate certain people for no particular reason. Like Lock and Key. I hate that song, but can't really give you any specific reason why.

Well, Slaine, I'm one of those, who most definitely detest RTB tongue.gif , but funnily enough, I have a wee bit of an affection for Face Up. It's a goofy song that makes me want to get up and dance with a grin on my face. Harmless fun, nothing more... Rush going Bon Jovi, as I like to put it when summing up the charm of Face Up. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Oct 30 2004, 05:11 PM)
Ah but, so far as I know, you don't go around ranting and raving and insinuating that anyone who likes it are mentally deficient, do you?

No, and I don't think my boyfriend does that, either. (Yes, I'm well aware of who you are referring to in your previous post. wink.gif ) He may sometimes have a provocative style of writing but a sturdy sense of humour is the means to deal with it -he certainly has his tongue in his cheek while writing many of his posts, as well.

Having said that, it is actually fun to diss certain records and songs by the band every now and then. laugh.gif

I still love well over 85 % of the material, though. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Archived