Trout Mask Replica

Rush!

I LOVED IT!!!! I actually listened to the whole thing in 1 sitting. It was awesome. Better than even some of Zappa's stuff IMO. In fact, I listened to it TWICE yesterday which is an extremely difficult feat for most people to do. Even rushgoober told me that he couldn't listen to the whole thing at one time. The music and the feel of the album is just so spontaneous. It sounds like the members of Beefheart's band just started jamming, and Beefheart just sang over whatever they were playing. I can't describe it. You have to hear it for yourself.

And, to quote my Mom: "You're probably the only person on the face of the Earth to get Captain Beefheart in your Easter basket!" laugh.gif

Fantastic, spontaneous, wild album. I recommend it to anyone who likes Zappa.

I was actually into Beefheart before I got around to Zappa, now that I look back at it. It's because Jack White of the White Stripes and the Raconteurs is a gigantic Beefheart fan, and he does his fans a favour by listing his influences. I really hate when bands try to write themselves as being completely revolutionary, and nothing that you've heard before. Everyone has influences, and people can get into older and sometimes better music when people know who their idols idolize.

_____

I meant to post this about an hour ago, but wandered away without posting. I started thinking about it, and a lot of the music I listen to today was influenced by Jack White. I would've never gotten into the Yardbirds without the White Stripes. From there, I would've never gotten into Jeff Beck or Eric Clapton without knowing the Yardbirds. It just goes on and on.

Archived