Crowded House

Fridge

Just wondered if anyone else here was into them as much as me?

In many ways they vie with Rush as my favourite band of all time.

They had it all: Musicianship, vocal harmonies to die for, and exquisite melody.

Also in Neil Finn, one of the best lyricists around. Indeed, he could teach Peart a thing or two with regard to this, as he manages to convey a certain intellectual ability, but is much more emotionally engaging than most of Pearts work.

It was my great good fortune to see them a few years back. One of the best gigs of my life. I made a point of going to see the Finn brothers the other year, but although excellent, it wasn't quite the same.

As many of you will know, they arose from the ashes of Split Endz who were pretty good as well......

I remember watching their videos on MTV as a kid, and they definitely had some catchy tunes yes.gif "Hey now, hey now, don't dream it's over....." That's a good one!

Why aren't they together anymore?

QUOTE (cygnalschick @ Apr 12 2006, 02:13 PM)
I remember watching their videos on MTV as a kid, and they definitely had some catchy tunes  yes.gif  "Hey now, hey now, don't dream it's over....." That's a good one!

I don't know why they're no longer together, but their drummer, Paul Hester, took his own life in March of last year. Reports state that he was clinically depressed. I've always liked both Crowded House and the Finn Brothers. Terrific music, excellent lyrics.

The Finn Brothers were the core of the band; I'm sure they'll do something again - either as Crowded House, or under a different name.

I'm more a fan of their Split Enz stuff. "True Colours" is an awesome album; every track is a winner.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Apr 12 2006, 01:29 PM)
QUOTE (cygnalschick @ Apr 12 2006, 02:13 PM)
I remember watching their videos on MTV as a kid, and they definitely had some catchy tunes  yes.gif  "Hey now, hey now, don't dream it's over....." That's a good one!

I don't know why they're no longer together, but their drummer, Paul Hester, took his own life in March of last year. Reports state that he was clinically depressed. I've always liked both Crowded House and the Finn Brothers. Terrific music, excellent lyrics.

sad.gif That's sad to hear about Paul Hester. At least they left some good music ....

Love Crowded House. Don't Dream It's Over was very important to me when my very first Boyfriend and I broke up (we had been going out nearly 3 years, practically my entire High School years).

Kinda like Crowded House but I love Split Enz. Time and Tide is one of my favourite all time albums.

I've never managed to see Crowded House live, I've seen Tim and Neil Finn solo in seperate gigs, and I've seen Tim as part of ALT (Andy, Liam and Tim)- a threesome with Irish singers Andy White and Liam O'Maonlai of Hothouse Flowers.

One of the most amazing sessions was at the Witnness festival in Ireland a few years ago during which Johnny Marr (ex-Smiths guitarist)came on stage and played while Tim sang 'There Is A Light That Never Goes Out'.

Of all the Finn permutations, my favourite songs remain 'Poor Boy' and 'Six Months On A Leaky Boat', both from the Split Enz era.

1287.gif 1287.gif

They were a fantastic band......I'm just sorry I never got to see them live. Their musicianship is truely top pocket stuff !

Another great band, in the same genre, I think is Del Amitri - superb music and lyrics. A little more Rock but a lot of lyrics about hurt, pain, love , loss etc cool.gif

QUOTE (nebbish @ Apr 15 2006, 10:29 AM)
Another great band, in the same genre, I think is Del Amitri - superb music and lyrics. A little more Rock but a lot of lyrics about hurt, pain, love , loss etc cool.gif

Del Amitri are indeed quality (as well as being from Scotland, even if it is Weedgieland)

Twisted is a fabulous album

QUOTE (Fridge @ Apr 15 2006, 12:00 PM)
QUOTE (nebbish @ Apr 15 2006, 10:29 AM)
Another great band, in the same genre, I think is Del Amitri - superb music and lyrics. A little more Rock but a lot of lyrics about hurt, pain, love , loss etc  cool.gif

Del Amitri are indeed quality (as well as being from Scotland, even if it is Weedgieland)

Twisted is a fabulous album

yes.gif I agree

'Some Other Sucker's Parade' is, simply, a superb album

My favourite Split Enz track is "Semi Detached". I found unsure.gif a great version of it on a popular less than legal download site unsure.gif

Archived