Styx Concerts

Evelate

Well, I'm planning on seeing Styx here in a month or so and I was wondering what they're past setlists have been. I happen to really like the song Mr. Roboto. However, my friend informed me that he saw them and they did not play it.

He said Kilroy was here is supposed to a bad album for them and they wanted to forget about it. Is this true?

I searched for a Styx setlist but I couldn't find one for any Styx tours online. I guess you guys can help me out, since you are music pundits. wink.gif

If you can locate it, they have a video from 1984 called "Caught in the Act" I believe.. They play most of Kilroy was here including Mr. Roboto. I'm not sure about that part of them not liking the album, but I know it was a time of turmoil for the band as they broke up shortly after this tour in 1984. They have had several Reunions but they will never quite be the same IMO. Their Drummer died around 1997-98.. I'm not sure what their line-up is now, but I would never see them unless both Tommy Shaw and Dennis DeYoung are a part of it.

Lawrence Gowan replacing Dennis DeYoung was as bad as Ray Wilson replacing Phil Collins in Genesis(awful IMHO). Styx will always be IMHO Dennis, Chuck Panozzo and JY(John Panozzo was awesome but they found a great drummer out of Todd Suchermann to replace him. Tommy Shaw was a second generation member). Any version without DDY or Chuck isn't Styx to me.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Apr 4 2006, 12:36 AM)
If you can locate it, they have a video from 1984 called "Caught in the Act" I believe.. They play most of Kilroy was here including Mr. Roboto. I'm not sure about that part of them not liking the album, but I know it was a time of turmoil for the band as they broke up shortly after this tour in 1984. They have had several Reunions but they will never quite be the same IMO. Their Drummer died around 1997-98.. I'm not sure what their line-up is now, but I would never see them unless both Tommy Shaw and Dennis DeYoung are a part of it.

DeYoung stated on Behind the Music that he regrets doing the album as a Styx album. However, A&M were pressuring Styx for another album in 1982/83 as Supertramp didn't fare so well with Famous Last Words and Styx had no choice.

Now I haven't seen the band in concert but as far as I know the setlists are usually pretty predictable. The usual songs are in like Come Sail Away, Renegade, Too Much Time On My Hands, The Grand Illusion etc. They throw in a few new tunes as well.

Last year at their concerts they only played a tiny snippet of Mr. Roboto in a medley......judging by the lack of Kilroy material in their setlists it's easy to say they aren't a big fan of the album.

I guess I can chime in here. I saw Styx for the first time 3 years ago when they toured with REO Speedwagon and Journey. It was with the new lineup but aside from JY and Shaw, I don't know names.

All I can say, is they blew the other two bands out of the water. I guess Journey was the headliner of the 3 as they played last. I've seen Journey before, and they sounded just fine (I'm a fan of the new Steve - he's a friend of the family, so no shit talking him.).

Anyway, what made Styx so awesome is that the 5 of them worked their asses off to make sure everyone who came there that night got their money's worth. They equally took on the responsibility without leaning on TS or JY to lead. In fact, they put the new guys up front as much as possible and they delivered huge. The place was on their feet for the entire show and they sounded amazing!! There was even a mosh pit for when they played Lady!! Can you imagine?!?

To sum it up... they owned the event, and earned my respect for the current line up. yes.gif

Opps I forgot about the setlist - but it was pretty much covered already. The standards were all played, with nothing from Kilroy. Miss America, Too Much Time.., Come Sail Away, Renegade, Blue Color Man, Lady, etc. etc. They also played a song from what was their new release at the time... Waiting For Our Time it's called and I think the song is tops - right up there with anything else they've released over the years.

Archived