Uk Radio Listeners

plodder

"My Wizard

Saturday 1 April 2006 10:30-11:00 (Radio 4 FM)

Investigating the phenomenon known as Prog Rock. John Aizlewood discovers what it was, and asks why it became the genre that dare not mention its name.

Born out of jazz and killed off by the Punk movement, Progressive Rock spawned numerous mind-altering album sleeves and became the catalyst for stadium rock pomposity.

With contributions from some of the most important progressive rock musicians, My Wizard asks why such a disparate group of bands were labelled as 'prog' when their influences incorporated styles as diverse as classical, jazz, folk and blues.

Contributors include Keith Emerson from ELP; Ian Anderson from Jethro Tull; Rod Argent from The Zombies and Argent; Fish, ex-Marillion, Heather Findlay from

Mostly Autumn; Hawkwind's Dave Brock and Simon Frith, Professor of Music at Edinburgh University"

These are usually on the BBC's "Listen Again" page. They'll put it up 24 hours after transmission.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/arts/pip/2pfhl/

This is a link to listen to it again.

I love Rick Wakeman's tales of how Yes recorded Tales From Topographic Oceans. Great fun.

laugh.gif

Archived